Question Associate domain name with colocated server

Okay, this will sound like a rookie question (it is).

I have a newly colocated server with DirectAdmin successfully installed. I have 3 IP addresses provided by my colocation company.

I have a domain name (domainx.co.uk) registered with 1&1 which I would like to be associated with my server. I would like:

www.domainx.co.uk - to direct me to the server/website

ns1.domainx.co.uk - to be a working nameserver using one of the IP addresses

ns2.domainx.co.uk - to be a working nameserver using one of the IP addresses

What do I need to do to associate this domain with the server and create working nameservers? I am assuming I need to change the nameserver settings for the domainx.co.uk domain in 1&1's admin interface, but which nameservers do I choose?

My colocation company has also provided me with 2 nameservers, do I set domainx.co.uk to use those? Then any further domains I choose to host will use my own nameservers?

I hope this question makes some sense, my head is spinning! Thanks.

First thing you need to do is "register" your nameservers.

This will be done at 1and1. You will register ns1.domainx.co.uk to the first IP of your server (typical setup, you could register it to any), and ns2.domainx.co.uk to the second IP.

After you have done that change the nameservers of the domain to:
    ns1.domainx.co.uk
    ns2.domainx.co.uk

Now in DirectAdmin login as Admin, and go to the Administrator Settings.

Put ns1.domainx.co.uk and ns2.domainx.co.uk as the nameservers for the server. Add domainx.co.uk to either your admin hosting account or create a new account and wait for everything to resolve.

If you have any more questions please post away!

Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    First thing you need to do is "register" your nameservers.

This will be done at 1and1. You will register ns1.domainx.co.uk to the first IP of your server (typical setup, you could register it to any), and ns2.domainx.co.uk to the second IP.
    Okay, does this mean I need to create 2 subdomains, "ns1." and "ns2." and change the "a records"?

Because there doesn't appear to be any other way on 1and1 to register nameservers.

It's not quite the same thing. There are some horror stories around with 1and1 and I have never personally used them. This is the best I could find on the subject for you:

http://faq.1and1.com/domains/dns_settings_/14.html
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com