* Need Help Finding Server With 6TB Bandwidth

Hello,

Okay, today has been a pretty crazy day. I've been searching WHT for some good providers, (Yes I have checkout out the dedicated offer section) been calling all around, and emailing like crazy. Since it is the weekend, most sales guys are at home enjoying the weekend I'm trying to find a good solid provider that can offer what I am looking for.

Can anybody recommend a provider that can offer these specs...

Pentium 4
    2+ Gigs Memory
    2 x 80GB SATA
    cPanel / Whm / Fantastico
    Unmanaged
    6,000 GB Bandwidth

I'm pretty open on server specs and features, just need someone that can offer 6TB of bandwidth. and can have a server setup within a few days or less.

maybe take a look at unmetered 20Mbps server from ServerMatrix?

Originally posted by gate2vn
    maybe take a look at unmetered 20Mbps server from ServerMatrix?
    Few things about SM...

Isn't their network congested alot? Also, according to their site you can't really custom config thier servers.

why do you need 6TB?

Originally posted by 3rdcoast
    why do you need 6TB?
    6 Terabytes = 6,000 Gigabytes

On a 20Mbps you can push a max of 6,000GB of outbound data?

If you use 24/7 at 100% capacity yes it can.
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

One small note to the original poster, 6TB is *not* the same as 20 Mbit. Yes, you can get slightly more than 6TB out of a 20 Mbit unmetered connection. However, if you need to achieve part of your 6TB by pushing out 50 Mbit for several hours, then your site essentially becomes unavailable due to high latency, packet loss, etc. associated with trying to push more bandwidth than your upstream connection will handle. It sounds like the original poster wants and needs 6TB flowed over a 100 mbit line.

Originally posted by tical
    One small note to the original poster, 6TB is *not* the same as 20 Mbit. Yes, you can get slightly more than 6TB out of a 20 Mbit unmetered connection. However, if you need to achieve part of your 6TB by pushing out 50 Mbit for several hours, then your site essentially becomes unavailable due to high latency, packet loss, etc. associated with trying to push more bandwidth than your upstream connection will handle. It sounds like the original poster wants and needs 6TB flowed over a 100 mbit line.

Well actually here are some quick stats...

Average Usage about 15Mbps
    Peak Usage About 22Mbps (only for about an hour or so)
    Usage for last month 4TB, however site is growing very fast, and we expect about 5TB this next month

Your going to pay out the wazoo but I'd suggest going to a smaller provider that can accomodate you quicker:

www.vroxrox.com
    www.steadfastnetworks.com
    www.crnc.net
    www.dedicatednow.com

Contact any of those guys for a custom quote and they should be able to work something out with you.

I guess the question is, will a 20mbps unmetered do it, or are you looking for 6tb worth of bandwidth on a 100meg line?

If you can do it on a 20mbps line, then there are quite a few providers who can help you out. If not, like RossH said, you are going to pay out the nose for that type of bandwidth.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I'd *strongly* suggest that you look into load balancing this over 2 or 3 servers.
    Any server would have trouble with serving such massive amounts.

Of course this does depend on the nature of your serving, but unless this is very large files being served concurrently over FTP or similar... 6000GB/m of http traffic would be incredibly massive for any single server.
    Rough estimate here, each http file being 10KB, would mean something like;
    6000GB = 6 000 000 MB = 6 000 000 000 KB = 600 million http request for that file in one month...
    My development blog - (un)Interesting codesnippets and the occational code-related rant!

Hey Jeff_Mathews,

I suggest, instead of taking 1 server - get 3 servers each with 2000GB BW and minimal specs. don't put all of your eggs in one basket, divide the bandwidth, usage, and space to 3 different servers.

Calculate and see if it comes out better.
    Best regards,
    Gil - ZoneServ.com.

Gil,

Yup--that would probably come out to be cheaper as providers tend to frown when you ask for more bandwidth and increase the average cost per gig substantially as they actually expect you to use the bandwidth.

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by ZoneServ.com
    Hey Jeff_Mathews,

I suggest, instead of taking 1 server - get 3 servers each with 2000GB BW and minimal specs. don't put all of your eggs in one basket, divide the bandwidth, usage, and space to 3 different servers.

Calculate and see if it comes out better.

Question...

The site has a few different subdomains setup in cPanel that get alot of traffic to, for example..

mysite.com - 0.8TB Monthly
    ww2.mysite.com - 1TB Monthly
    ww3.mysite.com - 0.8TB Monthly
    ww4.mysite.com - 1.3TB Monthly

Can I have all my subdomains server off of another server? And if so, would it still hit my main server first which would then tell it to go to another server for subdomain traffic?

Well I went with ServerMatrix and their 20Mbps unmetered plan for $400 per month.

Based on current usage stats in Orbit, the unmetered servers are only using about 1/2 of the connection, so it appears like they have room to go.

Now I got to hire a server admin....either touch support for $99 per month or $29 for FSM...

Wish me luck with SM

You're overpaying for the 20mbit for $400/month. I would much rather go with Leaseweb.

Originally posted by Jeff_Mathews
    Can I have all my subdomains server off of another server? And if so, would it still hit my main server first which would then tell it to go to another server for subdomain traffic?
    I don't think I got your question though, from what I understand you want to direct subdomain2.yoursite.com to for example server 2 and subdomain3.yoursite.com to for example server 3 (considering server 1 is hosting yoursite.com).

Yes that can be done, the bandwidth will be taken from server 2 for subdomain2.yoursite.com and from server 3 for subdomain3.yoursite.com.

I hope you got it.
    Best regards,
    Gil - ZoneServ.com.

To do that you can just setup DNS zones on each server and have 3 DNS servers. ns1/ns2/ns3 for very strong redundancy.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Use a free DNS site such as ZoneEdit.com so you can set up A names to different IPs, quickly and easily.

IMHO, I think you're paying an arm and a leg for that 20mbit, and considering it is Cogent... I would only pay that kind of money for Premium Bandwidth, such as Savvis, OVH etc... but that's just MO.

Originally posted by XF-Chan
    Use a free DNS site such as ZoneEdit.com so you can set up A names to different IPs, quickly and easily.

IMHO, I think you're paying an arm and a leg for that 20mbit, and considering it is Cogent... I would only pay that kind of money for Premium Bandwidth, such as Savvis, OVH etc... but that's just MO.
    Where did he list the price he was getting?

Cheers,

Originally posted by elix
    Where did he list the price he was getting?

Cheers,
    Originally posted by Jeff_Mathews
    Well I went with ServerMatrix and their 20Mbps unmetered plan for $400 per month.

Based on current usage stats in Orbit, the unmetered servers are only using about 1/2 of the connection, so it appears like they have room to go.

Now I got to hire a server admin....either touch support for $99 per month or $29 for FSM...

Wish me luck with SM