Suspend for the rest of the month, or bill extra?

How do you guys handle users that go over their bandwidth limit, do you suspend the accounts until the start of the next month, or do you bill the customer extra at the end of the month and keep the site running?

I have a good warning system that send warning emails to users if they are about to go over, so it shouldn't come as a suprise if they do.
    We do co-location and system management in Stockholm, Sweden. Unfortunately we cannot host you, but i'm sure you'll be ok.

Remember, the best backup in the world is the one you make yourself.

We use a "threshhold" system and send email to any client who is exceeding their bandwdith limit by more than about 5% of their allotted total. If they continue to go over their limit, and the client does not respond, then we cap the traffic at their committed level until they do.

Billing for the overage with no warning is usually a good way to have upset clients when the bill comes. We used to do this and found it's not always a good way of handling things. Also, suspending the account(s) in question is even a worse idea, unless there's a DOS attack or the customer is using a exorbiant amount of traffic and not responding quickly enough.

My suggestion is to speak with your customers and try to get them on a better plan if you feel they need it. If they don't want to pay extra, then limit their usage.

What do you mean by limiting their usage, if you dont mean turning the domain off until their usage is reset the next month?
    We do co-location and system management in Stockholm, Sweden. Unfortunately we cannot host you, but i'm sure you'll be ok.

By "limit usage" I am referring to placing a soft limit at the switch level to cap their traffic and prevent it from going over their allocation, if it's ever needed in the first place. Many of the better cisco switches will allow for traffic shaping in this regard.

I was thinking more about shared hosting accounts. Sorry if i didn't make that clear.

For the co-location boxes i have, i already cap them at 10mbit/s. And since i only host 4, its not a bit problem to deal with. But never mind about that.

I think the same thing would even apply to shared hosting. Just set a soft limit, like on the 500 mb, plan set the account to suspend at 525 mb or so assuming your clients are being notified of the overuse.

But, the best approch is always to communicate with your customers and recommend a better plan or work out a deal if you think they need more resources.

First notify them before they go over the limit. If they go over the limit and there is no agreement (refusal or did not get back to you) suspend as soon as it goes over the limit until they make arrangements. This eliminates problems for you (trying to collect any overage charges) and eliminates problems for them (trying to pay for charges that they're not aware of -- see canaca.)

Thats what i've been doing so far, that is, first warn them and then turn the domain off when they go over.

I was just thinking about switching to just billing them at the end of the month, but maybe thats not a good idea after all. I guess i kinda just get tired of all the people that never get back to us, even though their domain gets turned off every single month