server load monitoring

I've been having some troubles with my host consistently suffering from excessively high server loads. They don't seem to be very aggressive at coming to terms with a long term fix, so I am wanting to be a bit more proactive in this matter. I have been unsuccessfully looking for a script that I can run as a cron job to send me notifications when the server load reaches a certain point. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Here the basics. If you think a vmstat and top would be helpful for some reason, I can certainly provide that as well:
    Operating system Linux
    Kernel version 2.4.29-ow1
    Machine Type i686
    Apache version 1.3.33 (Unix)
    PERL version 5.8.4
    PHP version 4.3.11
    MySQL version 4.0.22-standard
    cPanel Build 10.2.0-RELEASE 82

New Zealand
    There are two things that I have run in the past related to this.

Nagios and MRTG.

With Nagios you can monitor server load, and then send an email when it goes over a certain level.

With MRTG you can graph server load reasonably easily and then look at it later.

Hope this helps.

I've looked at Nagios and I guess I didn't mention that this is under a shared server environment, so this wouldn't be a terribly useful tool for me. (Perhaps for the hosting company?!) And I just briefly looked at MRTG, and while it might be useful to compile information after the fact, I am really needing something to alert me of the problem at the time. A basic script that I could run, say hourly that says:

SCRIPT: Hey server, whats your current server load?
    SERVER: 5
    SCRIPT: If the load is 4 or less, okay if it is 5 or more, I'll send an email notification. I see that it is 5, so I am sending the email.