Block CAFTA and yet more American employment oursourcing

Some moments ago, I just received this email, but it's not of my interest so I thought it might be helpful for you?

TAKE ACTION NOW TO SAVE OUR JOBS

There are so many reasons to reject the CAFTA (Central American Free Trade Agreement) treaty. With no enforcement provisions to prevent exploitation of foreign workers it would force those of us who still have jobs to compete against the lowest wage standard in the world. Without environmental protections it would force what industries we have not lost to pollute our own country to keep their costs as low as the worst offenders overseas. The agreement even signs on to restrictions on the availability of simple vitamins and minerals that might prevent illness and disease, a provision pushed by prescription drug industry interests to put us even more at their mercy.

This will be a VERY CLOSE VOTE in Congress, so by speaking out you can make a real difference in the outcome of this critical policy decision. Will we slide further down the NAFTA slope of outsourcing and wage depression in our country, or will we take the kind of stand that will inspire more of our fellow constituents to elect the right people next time? Please submit the form below, whether or not you have time to add a personal word of your own, but MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD NOW.

http://www.actspeak.com/cafta.htm

Won't you take action NOW on this? Also forward this email to everyone you know, and encourage its posting on websites and blogs.

Or if you want to get no more just email back to [email protected]

Powered by The People's Email Network
    Copyright 2005, Patent pending, All rights reserved
    "An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep"

we should block it... all we need is more americans losing their jobs. I seriously think were doomed to have another depression and corporate america is giving us front seats.
    Kerry Jones

The President supports CAFTA, and has support from many others. There is almost nothing that can be done to stop it.

yes, this is the reason why I think people like him should spend a year working a minium wage job with a small house and 3 children. I think if people who pass these bills experience 'real life' they wouldn't be so fast to consider such bills. I still don't know why we vote in fake americans -- come on I was a real blue collar/white collar in the whitehouse instead of these posers.
    Kerry Jones

Vote for me (in 2030's)
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

House to vote on Cafta tonight
    Bush makes plea to wavering Republicans

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- House Republican leaders will press ahead with a vote on the Central American Free Trade Agreement Wednesday night, House Majority Leader Tom Delay, R-Texas, told reporters after President Bush met with House Republicans behind closed doors on Capitol Hill.

"It will be a tough vote, but we will pass Cafta tonight," DeLay said.

Bush sold the agreement on national-security grounds, arguing that failure to pass Cafta would undercut progress toward democracy across Central America, DeLay said. The president also argued that the agreement would boost growth in the region, putting a damper on illegal immigration into the United States.

Vice President Dick Cheney was also meeting with GOP members in a last-minute bid to build support for the agreement.

Bush and House GOP leaders have been fighting an uphill battle to garner enough votes to assure passage of the controversial trade pact, which would eliminate most tariffs and trade barriers between the United States, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and the Dominican Republic.

The House Rules Committee on Tuesday night approved a rule that would allow the legislation to come up for a floor vote as early as Wednesday. The rule would allow two hours of debate. The legislation can't be amended. The Senate has already approved the bill.

Democrats, including many who have voted for past trade agreements, are nearly unanimous in opposition to the deal, arguing that it offers insufficient labor protections.

Democrats, including many who have voted for past trade agreements, are nearly unanimous in opposition to the deal, arguing that it offers insufficient labor protections.

Backers have also had to contend with wariness or outright opposition by a large handful of Republican lawmakers from districts with large numbers of sugar producers and textile workers.

Bush addressed a weekly, closed-door meeting of House Republicans on Wednesday morning. Bush made a similar appearance in 2002 as the administration eked out a victory on a vote restoring trade promotion authority, or "fast-track authority," to the White House.

A few, formerly wavering textile-state Republicans have agreed in recent days to back the pact after the administration and GOP leaders agreed to eventually negotiate and implement changes in the pact designed to protect U.S. textile firms.

The administration has also agreed to take steps designed to insulate U.S. sugar producers from any increase in imports from Central American nations. Sugar industry trade groups remain vehemently opposed to the agreement, arguing that the additional measures are too short-lived, and that the Cafta agreement itself opens the door to increased sugar imports under future trade agreements.

Meanwhile, Republican leaders were thwarted in an effort Tuesday to pass a bill designed to increase scrutiny of China's trade practices under special rules that required a two-thirds majority vote. Democrats complained that the China bill was too weak, and was being pursed solely as a fig leaf to give GOP members from manufacturing-heavy districts cover to vote for Cafta. See full story.

House leaders planned to bring the China bill up under regular procedures on Wednesday.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...&siteid=google