* Quick Question About Bandwidth Needs!

Hello,

Okay, please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area but I have a few questions...

I want to host a high traffic website that is pushing about 240 Gigs of outbound traffic per day which is about 7,200 Gigs of bandwidth per month. The site does not seem to be resource intensive, just sucks alot of bandwidth.

Why type of bandwidth should I look for in order to get about 8,000-9,000 Gigs of outbound transfer per month? Will a 10Mbps work, 20Mbps... or what would you recommend?

Site only peaks at about 40Mbps, and averages about 15Mbps

I don't want to pay for more than I need. so I'm simply curious... Should I go with 10Mbps unmetered with a 100Mbps Uplink, or will I need even more?

Generally a 10mbps unmetered would be limited to 10mbps , or it could not be considered unmetered if they have to meter the bandwidth above 10mbps. Based on your above requirements I would be looking at a 50mbps unmetered server as I would doubt you would get what you need otherwise.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

You have to remember, you cannot pay for peak and non-peak usage. Providers are billed at 95th percentile so they cant afford to let you pay for less. If you plan to burst up to 40-50 megs for a small period of time, then you need to pay for an amount that covers that.

TP said that the site should do fine on their 20Mbps unmetered connection, but I will be limited to about 5TB of bandwidth per month, which should be okay for a few months or so...

Can you really push 5TB outbound data on a 20Mbps unmetered connection with SM?

Originally posted by JHosts
    You have to remember, you cannot pay for peak and non-peak usage. Providers are billed at 95th percentile so they cant afford to let you pay for less. If you plan to burst up to 40-50 megs for a small period of time, then you need to pay for an amount that covers that.
    So what happens if their is a sudden spike of say 50Mbps of data, on a 20Mbps connection, would the site just go super slow during the peak, do providers just cut you off?

I really don't want to pay for 50Mbps if my average is about 15Mbps or so... Spikes are pretty rare, but do happen

you should be able to push 5TB of data through a 20mbps , but keep in mind during the times you will burst to 45mbps you site will be slow as molasses on a cold winter day.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by HiVelocity
    you should be able to push 5TB of data through a 20mbps , but keep in mind during the times you will burst to 45mbps you site will be slow as molasses on a cold winter day.
    Okay...

So can anyone explain what exactly happens if you are on a 20Mbps unmetered line...and suddenly your site hits let's say 40Mbps of transfer for 10-20 minutes...

Will your site suddenly become unresponsive...is your connection cut off until your traffic goes down? What exactly happens when your maxed out on outbound data transfer?

you will experience high latency and packet loss , this will appear to some if not all of you visitors like your server is very slow or down.

think of it like wather through a hose , you can only push so much at any give time , an the rest has to wait until the pipe is available again
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by HiVelocity
    you will experience high latency and packet loss , this will appear to some if not all of you visitors like your server is very slow or down.

think of it like wather through a hose , you can only push so much at any give time , an the rest has to wait until the pipe is available again
    But as soon as traffic goes under 20Mbps...site would look and operate like normal?

yes as long as your bandwidth usage is below the maximum the site should operate like normal , assuming you are not maxxing out your hardware.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

Here is a screenshot of the RTG graphs...

http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/3...ndwidth0jz.gif

Basically when you spike, people will just load the site very slow no matter where they are or what providers they have. It will do this automatically, as usually providers will give you an actual cap on how much data you can push per second. When your (needed) usage goes down to 20 mbps or below, speeds will return to normal immediately. I would suggest getting something more than 20 mbps, as whenever those spikes happen, a lot of your visitors will have some problems.

EDIT: Based on the RTG you showed me, a 20 mbps should be fine.

Basically when you spike, people will just load the site very slow no matter where they are or what providers they have. It will do this automatically, as usually providers will give you an actual cap on how much data you can push per second. When your (needed) usage goes down to 20 mbps or below, speeds will return to normal immediately. I would suggest getting something more than 20 mbps, as whenever those spikes happen, a lot of your visitors will have some problems.

EDIT: Based on the RTG you showed me, a 20 mbps should be fine.
    On the RTG graph I see it says a max of 41Mbps...but I do not see it on the graph...could this simply mean that maybe for a second or two their was an abnormal spike in traffic?

based on that graph I would think you could certainly do with a 20meg unmetered box. That traffic spike could have been caused by the switch rebooting.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

Here is the graph over the past month....

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/931/bandwidth1bp.gif

Originally posted by Jeff_Mathews
    Here is the graph over the past month....

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/931/bandwidth1bp.gif
    Yeah you'll be on a 20 meg unmetered, I had thought you were having regular spikes of 40 mbps or so for a sustained period of time (like 20-30) minutes. But since you aren't, you'll have no problems on a 20 meg unmetered.

Yeah you'll be on a 20 meg unmetered, I had thought you were having regular spikes of 40 mbps or so for a sustained period of time (like 20-30) minutes. But since you aren't, you'll have no problems on a 20 meg unmetered.

Well that's a big relieft.

Hopefully last question

Does it look like I am comming close to the 20Mbps limit based on that monthly graph? Traffic goes up every day, so I am not sure how much room for bandwidth expansion I would have?

certainly not alot of room for expansion on the 20 meg port. Based on the graph
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

You may consider moving to the 30 meg port, because who knows, maybe that 20 megs you're using is already congesting a bit and causing minor slowdowns (probably not very noticeable). But if you plan to grow in the future, 20 megs certainly wont cut it.

You may consider moving to the 30 meg port, because who knows, maybe that 20 megs you're using is already congesting a bit and causing minor slowdowns (probably not very noticeable). But if you plan to grow in the future, 20 megs certainly wont cut it.

Does anybody know off the top of your head who offers 30Mbps ports? Yes, I will use the hostquote, but curious if anybody knows of a good provider that can offer 30Mbps unmetered.

Does anybody know off the top of your head who offers 30Mbps ports? Yes, I will use the hostquote, but curious if anybody knows of a good provider that can offer 30Mbps unmetered.
    Take a look at the dedicated and colo hosting offers forum, im sure you will find some. If you dont see 30 megs listed from a certain provider, you could contact them and get a quote most likely.

I am sure HiVelocity could work out a good deal for you in a decent price range on a 30mbps commit on their unmetered series, they are great people over there

Originally posted by tomsyer
    I am sure HiVelocity could work out a good deal for you in a decent price range on a 30mbps commit on their unmetered series, they are great people over there

Sent them an email...but their sales department does not work weekemds. Also sent JHost an email, also tried to call but no answer.

Can anybody else recommend a good provider that can offer a 30Mbps unmetered connection?

Originally posted by tomsyer
    I didnt know you were using our services , let me know if you ever need anything.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

Sent them an email...but their sales department does not work weekemds. Also sent JHost an email, also tried to call but no answer.

Can anybody else recommend a good provider that can offer a 30Mbps unmetered connection?
    I believe we answered every PM very promptly, let me know if there was anything else I could help you with.