Hybrid View

Linux or Windows Hosting

Which would you guys prefer? I like linux personally mostly because it costs less

Sting13,

They each have different features/strengths, but I still prefer Linux hosting.

The platform you choose should really depend on the applications you would like to run on your website.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Ah, I see, thanks

even you can install mod_mono for running ASP on Linux, but I would go with a Windows server if I need to run ASP, .NET applications

When it comes to web hosting, it is easy to host on Linux web servers, traditionally it’s considered very stable and robust. It meets the scalability requirement easily and it’s secured and flexible too.
    Overall Linux hosting is an economical decision and most widely used.

However windows based server is preferable if you’re using any specialized applications or VB.

7. Everyone I talk to says Linux hosting is the best to use. I don't personally know why other than Linux is stable and it is cheap to the provider to use it.

cheap and stable ... hmm lets see here , that about says it all. I would not recommend windows hosting unless you either need to have it for your applications or you only know how to use the GUI interface windows offers.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by Jayfatyboombaty
    why other than Linux is stable and it is cheap to the provider to use it.
    Just a little input -

As far as stability is concerned, linux is based on a unix platform and that makes it lot more secure than windows.... cheap due to various reasons, Linux is opensource and lincensing cost and other stuff do count a lot adding to the high costs of MS products.

Try a google search and you will get a lot of insight and answers to your question.
    [URL=http://www.ekhwan.com/]Ekhwan Web Solutions - Brotherhood Beyond Boundries.
    Affordable online solutions and applications for your business.

the high costs of MS products.
    not just the cost of the products , but also the cost to support the darn things
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

Great replies on this forum, thanks ;D

Originally posted by Jayfatyboombaty
    Everyone I talk to says Linux hosting is the best to use. I don't personally know why other than Linux is stable and it is cheap to the provider to use it.

Everyone who tells you Linux hosting is the best to use, you should presume they're technical savvy and business savvy both and might have used it and they're well satisfied with Linux.

However I don't think others are cheap and stable in comparison with Linux.

13. Well that is what I am saying, that I know tons of people who use Linux, and every server I have ever had is on Linux anyways.

I have a lot of buddies who use Linux for personal use, but imo Linux is a useless OS for things that aren't business oriented like servers, banks, a few other hardware things (I think DirectTV boxes use Linux).

Besides my server using Linux, I personally use Mac OS X (also based on Unix) and I am thinking of switching to Windows XP Professional for a bit until the new intel Macs come out just because I need a new comp anyways.

Originally posted by Ekhwan
    Just a little input -

As far as stability is concerned, linux is based on a unix platform and that makes it lot more secure than windows.... cheap due to various reasons, Linux is opensource and lincensing cost and other stuff do count a lot adding to the high costs of MS products.

Try a google search and you will get a lot of insight and answers to your question.
    UNIX's main advantage is that it was a very stable platform. As far as security goes, Linux is as secure as you make it. The same applies to Windows.

I strongly disagree that because Linux is opensource, it is more secure, that is ridiculous. Microsoft has quite a big budget devoted to their security programs. And they have been quite proactive with security issues, at least in the last few years.

Windows 2000 and Win2003 are quite solid hosting platforms as well. They are quite stable (although I don't think they can match the UNIX architecture) and quite secure if managed correctly.

Additionally, Windows effectively requires lesser admin time than linux. So I disagree it is more expensive to maintain or support. Microsoft has good OS phone support as well and are very helpful if you are faced with any issue.

We pay $25/month for RH ES 3.0 while $11/month for Windows 2003 Web Edition (under the MS SPLA). So Linux is not exactly cheaper to license either
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

The main driving force in Windows popularity recently is .NET IMHO. Alot of coders are moving towards .NET due to its numerous advantages over current laguages, its scability and its flexibility.

SQL Server too is adding to the popularity, with alot of hosts offering it much cheaper now. SQL Server is a very solid DB platform with numerous advantages over its open-source competitors.

The actual costs of licensing Windows and SQL Server have come down as well and Microsoft has much more flexibile licensing under the SPLA. This has allowed alot of new windows hosts to come up and offer Windows hosting at far more competitive pricing in the recent years
    Last edited by Yash-JH; 07-17-2005 at 07:08 AM.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Those that host with windows do so usually for ASP or another Microsoft Only type of language/application. If you don't need something of the sort, linux/bsd is always the way to go (generally for the price).
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Most web site owners prefer windows servers because they have a 'windows machine at home'...but basically all the softwares that run on linux will run on windows also and may be more....

If the user is inclined to less cost + moe security ...i would suggest the usage of linux servers as there are a vareity of third party softwares that is used to secure the linux servers and of course implemented by all the hosting companies during the security audit...

But as you can see the linux servers are the ones often hacked eventhough the security features can be enhanced....another disadvantage of the open source softwares available

if you are inclined to flexibility + more user freindly stuff.....do go for windows....but once the firewall is turned on..the server will be down...u can always configure the security fetures using the 'Ip security policy in the manament consoles'

I would suggest the use of windows , if your application range is wide and morover , all Os looks the same if there is a control panel assosiated with the web space

I prefer Windows hosting. Sure i have my own hosting company, but besides that i would still choose Windows hosting. With Windows 2003 we can finally offer good reliable hosting sollutions. Really W2K3 is a big improvement to all other versions of Windows server. Even prices don't matter anymore, you can check my site. There are also others who have affordable Windows hosting like Easycgi.

Then you have the scripting choice. If you do PHP with MySQL, then go to Linux. Why would you choose Windows then? You still can. We run PHP and MySQL perfectly on Windows machines, but ASP.NET is designed for Windows and PHP for Linux.

Then security. Both Linux and Windows can be hacked. Yes, they can! I am specialized in Microsoft technology, but don't have anything against Linux. If your server will be hacked or not depends a lot on how the machines are updated and configured. Both OS have leaks and both need a good configuration.
    Cheap DotNet Hosting
    Windows hosting with ASP.NET and SQLServer support.
    24x7 Support Center! Prices are cheap, join today!