Thread: suggestion

Question suggestion

can anyone suggest a host that is free, has no ads or unobtrusive ads, with ftp, 1 pop account, and < 5 mb space

Have you tried www.hostrocket.com 's free web hosting?

they appear to not allow domains hosting

Try www.freewht.com and post your question there.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I don't use their free hosting, but Micfo.com has a free program. It is ad supported and I have no idea how obtrusive they may or may not be.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Re: suggestion

Originally posted by johndeed
    can anyone suggest a host that is free, has no ads or unobtrusive ads, with ftp, 1 pop account, and < 5 mb space

I am doubtful that there will be no ads or unobtrusive ads, as without ad a free hosting company canít survive.
    However I think that a free hosting may not be good for long run.
    Last edited by etechsupport2; 07-16-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Re: Re: suggestion

Originally posted by etechsupport2
    I am doubtful that there will be no ads or unobtrusive ads, as without ad a free hosting company canít survive.
    However I think that a free hosting may not be good for long run.

When we offered really cheap hosting packages, we had a free hosting package for years. It did VERY well without ads of any kind. This is because it was often the first impression many people had with us, and they later upgraded to paid hosting. It was VERY profitable for us. Perhaps this is what Hostrocket is doing as well?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

AH-Tina,

Well, I personally think when you're upgrading it to paid hosting later, then it should not be considered as a "free hosting" as a whole.

Everything should be transparent and clear with the customers before they sign up.
    Last edited by etechsupport2; 07-16-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Originally posted by etechsupport2
    Well, I personally think when you're upgrading it to paid hosting later, then it should not be considered as a "free hosting" as a whole.

Everything should be transparent and clear with the customers before they sign up.
    Not all customers upgraded. It was totally free hosting. Some kept the free hosting account for years without upgrading.

The free hosting model, without ads, can work nicely if done correctly and targetted to the right market. I believe that is what they are doing as well.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

okay, where can i get such a paid account inexpensively?

If someone can afford to give hosting for free then he should also give 24x7 support to customers coz you cannot say that you dont get uptime free with hosting, so its difficult to give free hosting if you cannot afford to give true support.

Free Hosting can be a kind of investment as you can get good referrals for your higher plans which are not free.

You can add 275mb.com to the list of free hosting providers.