eAccelerator issues :: anything similar to it?

Hi,

I've been having a few issues with eAccelerator causing sporadic high PHP page generation times. After I removed it things became much faster and load dropped quite a bit, too. I was thinking of using PHP Accelerator as a replacement for eAccelerator. Has anybody used PHP Accelerator? How is it in comparison to eAccelerator and does it have as many "bugs"?

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

i did few benchmark
    and i see Turck-mmcache is faster than PHP Accelerator
    and Zend is Faster than Turck-mmcache
    and Zend 64 bit is faster then ALL !

Hi goolex,

Thanks for your reply. I'd assume that Zend 64 bit is for 64 bit OSs only, correct?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

To use it, you have to turn ZendOptimizer off:

Q. Does PHPA work with Zend Optimiser?

A. No. The Zend Optimiser prevents any 3rd party extensions from being loaded. However PHPA does include its own code optimiser to enhance performance slightly and reduce code size. New optimisations are being written, and a more advanced optimiser may be incorporated into later releases.

And to be honest, we have experienced slower page loads with it running that without it. I'll try different configurations and tuning it up a bit more, but I am not impressed with it at all.

Doesn't seem to be too actively maintained, also...

(just noticed that site is running on PHP 4.3.0-dev and Apache 1.3.26 )

Turck was indeed much faster, but can't use it anymore since running PHP-as-CGI.

yes
    Zend work only in 64bit OS's ,

i just tested apache benchmark and this is my result
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...threadid=342820

Cpu : AMD Athlon 3000+ socket 754
    Ram : 2*512 Geil
    H.D.D. : 2*maxtor sata 8mb buff raid 0
    Apache : 2.x
    PHP : 4.x
    Accelerator : Zend & php accelerator

Windows XP 32BIT : 22 Request/s
    Windows XP 64BIT : 23.5 Request/s
    Linux Redhat 9 : 20 Request/s

Centos 4 64bit : 33 Request/s <without any php accelerator>
    Centos 4 64bit : 36 Request/s <useing e-accelerator>
    Centos 4 64bit : 42 Request/s <useing zend optimizer 64bit>

so which one is better ?

Originally posted by goolex
    yes
    Zend work only in 64bit OS's ,

i just tested apache benchmark and this is my result
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...threadid=342820

Cpu : AMD Athlon 3000+ socket 754
    Ram : 2*512 Geil
    H.D.D. : 2*maxtor sata 8mb buff raid 0
    Apache : 2.x
    PHP : 4.x
    Accelerator : Zend & php accelerator

Windows XP 32BIT : 22 Request/s
    Windows XP 64BIT : 23.5 Request/s
    Linux Redhat 9 : 20 Request/s

Centos 4 64bit : 33 Request/s <without any php accelerator>
    Centos 4 64bit : 36 Request/s <useing e-accelerator>
    Centos 4 64bit : 42 Request/s <useing zend optimizer 64bit>

so which one is better ?
    Nice results there, I will definately consider Zend 64Bit if I ever use a 64Bit OS. Is that free?

Originally posted by SupaDucta
    To use it, you have to turn ZendOptimizer off:

Q. Does PHPA work with Zend Optimiser?

A. No. The Zend Optimiser prevents any 3rd party extensions from being loaded. However PHPA does include its own code optimiser to enhance performance slightly and reduce code size. New optimisations are being written, and a more advanced optimiser may be incorporated into later releases.

And to be honest, we have experienced slower page loads with it running that without it. I'll try different configurations and tuning it up a bit more, but I am not impressed with it at all.

Doesn't seem to be too actively maintained, also...

(just noticed that site is running on PHP 4.3.0-dev and Apache 1.3.26 )

Turck was indeed much faster, but can't use it anymore since running PHP-as-CGI.
    I suppose I might need to try eAccelerator again with some different settings. Anybody suggest any sort of settings where it would use less CPU cycles but still give some optimization?

Cheers,

>elix

yes its free like 32bit Zend

Try playing with the values within the following parameters:

Code:
    eaccelerator.shm_only="1"
    eaccelerator.compress="1"
    eaccelerator.compress_level="1"
    eaccelerator.keys="shm_and_disk"
    eaccelerator.sessions="disk_only"
    eaccelerator.content="shm_and_disk"
    If your machine runs on IDE ATA disks or you have a high % of disk I/O in use (high data flows), you might be experiencing slow page processing and higher loads (higher CPU loads especially with ATA disks that use CPU to control disk ops).

If your machine is running on SCSI/SATA disks with lots of free I/O, try using shm_and_disk also, although pure RAM storage will perform fastest.

For starters, maybe good to try shm_only for all to be cached into RAM, see how performs and then decide whether to give your disks some more load with shm_and_disk.

I suppose I'll just be keeping eAccelerator off for now as I just tried it and load spiked way up. Yet, without it, the load is below 0.5.

Cheers,

Elix, Are you having eaccelerator compress the php pages and apache mod_deflate / mod_gzip it too. Try turning off eaccelerator compression if apache is already doing it. My load is around .10 to .30 all day long even at peak hours.

eaccelerator.compress="0"

Originally posted by pztup
    Elix, Are you having eaccelerator compress the php pages and apache mod_deflate / mod_gzip it too. Try turning off eaccelerator compression if apache is already doing it. My load is around .10 to .30 all day long even at peak hours.

eaccelerator.compress="0"
    That seems to be bring load down to reasonable figures, thanks!

Cheers,