* HotScripts.com Clone Website

Hello,

Just stumbled across this HotScripts.com clone website located at
    http://www.turnkeyzone.com/demos/software/index.php

They appear to be selling the entire script for $39 here
    http://popscript.com/item.php?item=224

Not a bad clone script...now if only they could get the same amount of users that HotScripts.com currently has...

It's not entirely a clone. Hotscripts looks alot nicer and would have a lot more features than that script.

It's just more of a basic download script, I've seen many around.

Do you think Hotscripts made their own script? They bought it, just like everyone else. They use Gossamer-Threads with modifications.

A better program to use instead of that Turnkey one would be indexu.com, but Gossamer-Threads is by far the best IMO.

It would only be a clone if the user allowed it to become filled with worthless spam and not scripts.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Hotscripts has a better layout going and they are hellishly bigger. I think hotscripts had someone create their script and the person may of leeked it. (Not saying anything, just a suggestion to for a reason why it has a clone)

Originally posted by Dave B
    It would only be a clone if the user allowed it to become filled with worthless spam and not scripts.
    AMEN! When Im looking for scripts at hotscripts.com, I always look for free scripts, and half of the "free scripts" cost money, but they don't say that until you go to their website!

Well, most of the "Free scripts" are actually free, they just have nearly every feature cut out of them and can only do basic things. God that annoys me, why can't they say something like "Free Trial", would making everyone's lives easier

I've a question here......

If we fetch all script URLs and info about all products/scripts from HotScripts.com to build our own script directory, would that be called "stealing"?
    "An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep"

Funny question, let me answer it this way

"Just because you can do something, doesn't always mean that you should."
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Originally posted by Dave B
    Ha! Good point. It used to be pretty good before iNet came along though. It needs a lot of weeding out now.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by astraeuz
    I've a question here......

If we fetch all script URLs and info about all products/scripts from HotScripts.com to build our own script directory, would that be called "stealing"?
    Fetching the URLs i don't think would be considered "stealing" (but it would be dishonest), however copying the descriptions would be copyright infringement.

however copying the descriptions would be copyright infringement
    But, as hotscripts.com does not own anyone of these items and therefore can not restrict anyone from copying (we're not talking about copying the products, but just their description )?
    I'm just asking, because i do not know about this and i could be wrong in my view
    "An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep"

Lightbulb

Originally posted by varg
    Fetching the URLs i don't think would be considered "stealing" (but it would be dishonest), however copying the descriptions would be copyright infringement.
    It Wouldn't be dishonest nor stealing... Many sites have done that...

As a matter of fact, im buidling myphpfile from hostsccripts.com

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by Rob83
    Do you think Hotscripts made their own script? They bought it, just like everyone else. They use Gossamer-Threads with modifications.

A better program to use instead of that Turnkey one would be indexu.com, but Gossamer-Threads is by far the best IMO.

You might want to check your facts before you go spouting off. I personally wrote the site (been modified by another company since then), and can assure you, it is no longer based on LinkSQL (GT's product) in any way shape or form.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

Originally posted by Sting13
    I think hotscripts had someone create their script and the person may of leeked it.
    If you took even 10 seconds to view the link, you would know they are nothing like each other (even way past the design). Anyone can throw together a cheap script and call it a "HotScripts clone" just because it's a Directory script. Doesn't mean it is anything like the real thing.
    Jeremy Johnstone

Originally posted by Jeremy Johnstone
    You might want to check your facts before you go spouting off. I personally wrote the site (been modified by another company since then), and can assure you, it is no longer based on LinkSQL (GT's product) in any way shape or form.
    Then I should rephrase

"They copied the concept from Gossamer-Threads and retained some of the features (but rewrote them)."

There happy?

Actually, its based on a "Directory" concept. Gossamer Threads wasn't the first to make something like that, even with that appearance, so to give them credit for the "concept" is rather silly.

Point still remains, you should check your facts before speaking in a matter of fact fashion about something you obviously have no clue what your talking about.
    Jeremy Johnstone

Originally posted by Jeremy Johnstone
    Actually, its based on a "Directory" concept. Gossamer Threads wasn't the first to make something like that, even with that appearance, so to give them credit for the "concept" is rather silly.

Point still remains, you should check your facts before speaking in a matter of fact fashion about something you obviously have no clue what your talking about.
    Ok. Are you you going to sit me down now and give me a speech?

Relax dude. Life DOES continue beyond the Internet.