The definition of "managed"

Ive allways had unmanaged servers however i was wondering how far managed service providers go, IE what will they install for you etc, is it worth switching to managed for the price? i can admin my own server fine however im wondering if something goes wrong that i cannot fix, with an unmanaged provider i would be stuck.

it all depends on the provider everyone has a different definition. Most explain their definition of managed. If you still have questions, ask them.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

hi, voidhosting

Usually Managed means, Kernel updates, Security auditing, Software installs Updating, Upgrading, troubleshooting, and disaster recovery.

Where un-managed you basicly do everything yourself,well from my experience.

Good luck

Originally posted by productive
    hi, voidhosting

Usually Managed means, Kernel updates, Security auditing, Software installs Updating, Upgrading, troubleshooting, and disaster recovery.

Where un-managed you basicly do everything yourself,well from my experience.

Good luck
    We have one of our reseller servers with InterServer, who I'd classify at "semi-managed", and they really pulled through for us in an emergency yesterday. Harddrive failed early in the morning, and by the time we called to find out why the server hadn't been rebooted, we were told that they were attempting to recover data from the old harddrive, and had our backup drive in a new server that was in the process of installing. We also receive emails when new security upgrades come out that ask if and when we want them to install the updates. Each provider has their own definition of "managed", but some will go above and beyond the call of duty.

I have server with ALLMANAGED! So I hade many issue's for first 2 month's, and they quickly RESOLVE ALL Problem's including: install soft (RvSkin, PostgreSQL) additional to installed. They resolve some bug's in Cpanel. So it's relly ALLmanaged!

"definition of managed"---now this is a good point.

Each company defines his own "managed" definition.
    Some do more,some do less.

You will find a lot of offers for "managed servers"Usually you will get a semi managed server.

Best "managed solution" is to get an unmanaged server and hire an admin.

Greetings:

Agreed.

You really do need to check with the provider.

Some companies offer "full management" and do not try to redefine what "full" means, and others have lots of fine print.

Others don't use the words "full, all, or complete" and just leave it up for the client to guess right or wrong unless the client calls.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

just a small add on to my prevoius post:

A few weeks ago i got a brainfart.I thought that getting a managed server will be an insurance,just in case .
    I usually take unmanaged servers and put my sysadmin at work.
    Surprise !!!!!!!!!!!!,i got a dual xeon with uncompiled smp kernel ,bad dns resolvers,Plesk missconfiguration and i can continue with this list.All this from a company with pretty good reviews.While i was pretty busy opening like 20 tickets my sysadmin was drinking a soda and having the laugh of his life.
    I know that it was an isolated incident wich can occure from time to time.That's why i didnt ask for a refound.They offerd it .Point is
    i got a refound and lost any trust in that company.
    I'm not stating here that "managed servers" are bad,depends on what your expectations are.
    And usually you get pissed as hell when is someone elses fault.When is your fault you are too busy fixing it,and there is no time to be pissed.By the time when all is solved i can guaranteee that you are pretty happy.

Originally posted by Webfactor
    just a small add on to my prevoius post:

A few weeks ago i got a brainfart.I thought that getting a managed server will be an insurance,just in case .
    I usually take unmanaged servers and put my sysadmin at work.
    Surprise !!!!!!!!!!!!,i got a dual xeon with uncompiled smp kernel ,bad dns resolvers,Plesk missconfiguration and i can continue with this list.All this from a company with pretty good reviews.While i was pretty busy opening like 20 tickets my sysadmin was drinking a soda and having the laugh of his life.
    I know that it was an isolated incident wich can occure from time to time.That's why i didnt ask for a refound.They offerd it .Point is
    i got a refound and lost any trust in that company.
    I'm not stating here that "managed servers" are bad,depends on what your expectations are.
    And usually you get pissed as hell when is someone elses fault.When is your fault you are too busy fixing it,and there is no time to be pissed.By the time when all is solved i can guaranteee that you are pretty happy.
    LiquidWeb, eh?

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

@ elix

Wrong answer,time to guess again

My definition of managed would mean the person renting the server wouldn't need root access pretty much at all.

But I've also noticed managed means different things to different people, my definition basically boils down to the customer doesn't need, or typically even get, root access because the supplying company does all that stuff for them (updating kernels, modules, etc).
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    My definition of managed would mean the person renting the server wouldn't need root access pretty much at all.

But I've also noticed managed means different things to different people, my definition basically boils down to the customer doesn't need, or typically even get, root access because the supplying company does all that stuff for them (updating kernels, modules, etc).
    Well said... I dont think anyone here can provide a definition of managed, anymore. It is up to the provider and needs to be clearly laid out before someone signs up for service with a "managed" service provider.

Due Dilligence can go a long way.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.