Thread: Ice Cream

Ice Cream

Does anyone else here make Ice Cream? I love making Ice Cream, it usually tastes much better then what you can buy at the store, and you can also make it what ever flavor you heart desires.

Today I made a gallon of Coconut Ice Cream, the first time I've ever made coconut ice cream. At first, while I was cooking it, and then while it was churning in the Ice Cream maker, it didn't smell very good, or smell even remotely like Coconut, but it ended up tasting very good, the only thing I would change would be putting less fresh coconut in it, it seems like there is more coconut then ice cream.

I've also made....
    Chocolate
    Vanilla
    Strawberry (with real strawberries in it, no artificially flavored crap)
    Blueberry (Tasted good, didn't ever turn in to Ice Cream as well as I hoped, not sure why)

I've mostly made vanilla though, I want to make different flavors everytime I make it from now on, they turn out quite good. Maybe next time I'll try to make my own version of Cake Batter Icecream.

Never thought about making it... if you love making it, have you thought about doing it as a business? I'd buy fresh ice cream without having the hassle of making it. There is the whole shipping issue though.....

I love home made ice cream... if it wasnt so dang time consuming to make!!

I am old fashioned, when it comes to Ice Cream. I just like chocolate!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

We bought an ice cream maker a while ago, but we haven't made ice cream with it for at least a year or two. We made strawberry, which was just great, as well as chocolate which was great, too. The only reason why it wasn't as good as it could have been is because my dad, due to his then-diet, wouldn't use cream; instead, he used yogurt. Yogurt doesn't give ice cream the "creamy" texture, as is implied by the word "cream", but instead gives it more of an icy texture. This is okay, but it makes it more like sorbet than ice cream, the latter of which I much prefer.

I was going to make ice cream soon, and I think your post just pushed me over the edge. Maybe I'll make it Sunday (got a barbecue to go to tomorrow).

I'm not sure how well homemade Ice Cream holds up compared to store bought Ice Cream... I'm not sure if store bought has any added preservatives in it or not. While it would be nice to have a business making Ice Cream, you really need to be located in a Tourist Trap, like Mackinac Island in michigan.... I doubt you can find a better tourist trap. I hate being around Tourist Traps for an extended period of time...

We've bought Ice Cream from Iowa before.... It was for a wedding and it was a surprise... they shipped it in huge boxes filled with Dry Ice.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    I'm not sure how well homemade Ice Cream holds up compared to store bought Ice Cream... I'm not sure if store bought has any added preservatives in it or not. While it would be nice to have a business making Ice Cream, you really need to be located in a Tourist Trap, like Mackinac Island in michigan.... I doubt you can find a better tourist trap.
    Different brands use different or no preservatives at all. Haagen-Dazs, and other super-premium brands, don't use any preservatives at all, and their ice cream seems to hold up just fine.

Anyhow, being that you're freezing the stuff, it would seem to me a nonissue.

I miss the Ice Cream that they have at the County Fair every year, its instantly frozen using Liquid Nitrogen.. NO ICE CRYSTALS it is the smoothest ice cream you will ever have..

http://webs.wichita.edu/facsme/nitro/cream.htm
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Actually, homemade ice cream, while much better than store-bought, is more expensive, especially if you use good heavy cream. Good cream is very expensive, and can easily send the price of your ice cream higher than that of even Haagen-Dazs. So, if you're intending to make super-super-premium ice cream and think you'll save some money while you're at it, don't count on it!

I have a cotton candy maker and a smoothie maker (this can be use to make ice cream too)...I need a water ice maker.

I love homemade ice cream. no idea how to make it. but my grandpa makes it all the time. He can do almost any favor.

I don't know how to make ice cream, also even if I know, I am too lazy for that. Luckily for me, I am only a few hundred metres from a home made ice cream store. That store really made a large variety of ice creams based on tropical fruits, mango, lycee, durian, coconut etc. Also traditional vanilla, chocolate and all sort of mixes. Lovely and not too sweet as in commercial variety. Typing this really makes me hungry, I think I am going to get some now : )

I like BJ's Cherry Garcia.

Scratch that, I LOVE BJ's Cherry Garcia.

I made peppermint ice cream once...it was the best kind we ever made. The worst kind was when my husband added eggs and had to cook it on the stove first...it tasted like frozen scrambled eggs.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Haha, it just so happens my uncle just got an icecream maker, I'm gonna ask him how it was and make myself some. If it is any good i'm going to be in a icecream benge hehe

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    I made peppermint ice cream once...it was the best kind we ever made. The worst kind was when my husband added eggs and had to cook it on the stove first...it tasted like frozen scrambled eggs.

--Tina
    The coconut ice cream I made this time had eggs in it... Did he remember to strain it before he put it in to the icecream maker? that gets rid of the egg chunks and such... Mine turned out well, I can't taste an egg...

eggs...? in ice cream? ;o
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    The coconut ice cream I made this time had eggs in it... Did he remember to strain it before he put it in to the icecream maker? that gets rid of the egg chunks and such... Mine turned out well, I can't taste an egg...

I doubt he strained them out. He has wacky cooking ideas occassionally. Like one time, he knew I liked crispy bacon bits on top of baked potatoes...so he got the idea to boil bacon and potatoes together and make mashed potatoes. The result was this really nasty, slimy, greasy potato sludge that had rubbery pcs of bacon buried in it.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

We like to make bananna home made ice cream. Vanilla is good too.

Malteaser or Crunchy Ice Cream is pretty neat to make.

(both type of candy, Chocolate and malt, Chocolate + hunnycomb)
    It's Scott!

Oreo Cookie Ice Cream lol