Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Why Does Ev1Server.net Refuse To Tell Anybody Information About A Server???

Okay, this just annoyes me..

I called into ev1 because I was interested in their $500 per month load balancer solution, and I wanted to find out some basic information about the server.

I asked them a few questions, I'll rewrite our phone transcript (not word for word accurate)

Me:
    Hello, I am interested in your $500 per month load balanced servers, what type of load balancers do you use?

Ev1:
    I'm sorry sir, but I can not tell you that

Me:
    Can you tell me if it is a software load balancer, or a hardware load balancer?

Ev1:
    I'm sorry sir but I can not tell you that

Me:
    I am looking to buy a $500 per month server, and you can not even tell me the simple general specs of the server?

Ev1:
    I can not tell you any information about the server specs

Me:
    Well, who can?

Ev1:
    Nobody here can help you, everyone is just going to say that they can not help you.

Me: (getting frustrated)
    So your telling me that you expect people to just fork out $500 per month for a server plus a $200 setup fee, and they are not allowed to know the simple spec of the server that they are paying for? All I want to know is if it is hardware or software load balancer

Ev1:
    That is correct sir, you may talk to my supervisor if you wish, I can not and will not tell you the specs of the server beyond what is listed on our site.

Me:
    Transfer me to your manager please..

Ev1:
    Puts me on hold for 6 minutes

Ev1:
    This is Daniel how many I help you...

Me:
    Hello, I am about to fork out $700 today for a load balanced server and I asked your rep what type of load balancer you use because it makes a HUGE difference to me, as a software load balancer can not nearly perform or offer the uptime as a hardware load balancer, and he said that he can not tell me. Can you please simply tell me if it is a software or hardware load balancer?

Ev1:
    I'm sorry sir, but we can not tell you the specs about our servers, it is for our protection.

Me:
    So the only way I can find out is to give you $700 just to see?

Ev1:
    Well, I guess that is correct sir.

Me:
    Sounds every wierd to me. Everywhere else I call including ThePlanet and LiquidWeb all told me the exact model # of the load balancer, but you can not even tell me if it is a hardware or shared balancer? I do not need the exact spec of the equipment, just a simple answer, software or hardware.

Ev1:
    I told you I can not help you...thanks for calling ev1...

Hangs up on me...

Why in the heck can't ev1 tell me if it is a hardware or software load balancer? If they tell me do they think that I am going to take my knowledge and shut me down, or try to attack them?

If I'm about to pay $700 for a server, I believe I have the right to know this very SIMPLE question...

(( I found my answer here on WHT on another thread...but this still makes me mad ))

What are you thoughts?

Hm, sounds weird. Security reasons?

Don't see any security concerns telling if it is software or hardware. Seems like they are trying to hide something or sales just does not know the answer in which they should than contact a technical person to find out.

Wow, that is unreal....

What has security got to do with server specs. I would guess you may have contacted a sales guy who don't know the answer and just trying to pass this off.

Well, first person I spoke to, sounded in the low 20's, but that still does not excuse him not devulging simple information such as this. The sales "manager" guy was just the same. They simply refused to tell me if they used software or hardware load balancers for "security reasons" and I would find out after I send them $700

Perhaps it has some bugs in the hardware that open hole for hackers to bring the load balancer down?

I read some load balancers had such problem. But I'm just doing a wild guess.

Thats pretty unreal but you know what when I asked for a speed test file they said they don't do those either and just gave me a couple of ip's I could ping.

I just don't understand how someone could hand out $700 without even knowing the basics about what they are getting

I agree. Unless you know what you are getting for your money, there is no point in paying $700 for it.

Maybe someone from EV1 can come in here and clarify this whole thing?

Originally posted by Jeff_Mathews
    Does anyone know if a rep from ev1 post here on WHT? Maybe they will see this thread ?
    Try posting on their forums::

http://forum.ev1servers.net

I know Aaron, one of their sales reps, frequents that board along with Mario, their sysadmin.

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Mario is not sysadmin - he is Customer Service Magager
    Patrick is the system admin
    Aaron is the customer advocate manager
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Originally posted by Rodney-E2
    Mario is not sysadmin - he is Customer Service Magager
    Patrick is the system admin
    Aaron is the customer advocate manager
    Darn..thought I knew this

Either way -- posting on the forums will get some needed attention.

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Pretty simple to me, go with ThePlanet or Liquidweb. Why would you want to go with a company that #1 treated you like that and #2 won't answer your questions.......

I've always had problems with ev1, and that's why I moved to theplanet. it was the smartest decision I've ever made.

Matt

Ha, thats lame... I would see there point if you were asking an hsp those questions and they hosted there customers on it.. But if you were a potential customer inquiring about a purchase I would of told you pretty much anything you wanted to know.

It is a hardware based load balancing solution.

<<< Signatures need to be set up in your profile. >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 07-16-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Originally posted by jeff-ev1

Jeff Lowenberg
    VP-Operations
    EV1Servers.net
    I'm sure the thread starter is very happy to finally get this answer, however why didn't any of the lower end employees provide this information if it was freely given here?

I wouldn't consider even choosing that company after how those techs treated you; of course I have a phobia about using big companies anyways, experience with them tells me some clueless untrained tech at the other end is trying to help you...

Jeff Lowenberg
    VP-Operations
    EV1Servers.net

Thank you for your response..

A few questions..

1.) Why do all your regular sales reps AND sales manager tell me flat out that they REFUSE to tell me the specs on the server that I want to hand over $700 to purchase?

2.) Why would your sales manager hang up on me because I asked him what type of load balancer they use? I never raised my voice, called names, or even hinted that I was upset in any way, I just ask a question, and the manager hangs up on me

I can almost relate this to a person to goes to a car dealership and says he likes that black car sitting over there, and ask the sales person the engine size, and the rep tells ya that it is private information until after you hand over the cash. Or asking to take the car for a test drive, and the rep says you can only test the car after you pay for it.

I can understand not telling me the model # of the load balancer because maybe there is a hack or something out there that you do not want script kiddies to have, but asking a question as simple as I did, didn't warrant such an answer (or lack of)

If you call ThePlanet or LiquidWeb, not only will they tell you instantly over the phone, but they will give you the exact model # and specs of the hardware.

Oh well....

I can understand not telling me the model # of the load balancer because maybe there is a hack or something out there that you do not want script kiddies to have
    That is still hardly a justifiable reason in my book. If there is a known exploit for a piece of hardware that warrants not telling prospective clients what type (be it software or hardware) of service they will be paying for, other measures should be taken to 'secure' this service.

Security by obscurity does not work forever.

Seeing as how this is apparently not the case, the run-around that you have been given seems utterly pointless. I definitely would have expected more from a company like EV1.

Jeff Lowenberg
    VP-Operations
    EV1Servers.net

I would expected more than 7 words .Seems that they dont want to be bothered .
    Man,if all that you can get is 7 words from EV1 i suggest to look elswhere.
    So far i didnt have any problems with my EV1 servers,but hey,this is making me to wonder a bit about them.Trully
    Last edited by Webfactor; 07-16-2005 at 06:53 AM.

you know a true branded hardware load balancer isn't cheap, maybe they just use 1 cheap bsd server to load balance like 10 servers, **I SUSPECT** that's why that refuse to tell you that

that call their load balanced servers "a load balanced cluster" and the word "(hard|soft)ware load balancer" is nowhere to be found

Thank you for your response..
    A few questions..
    You've gotten the answer you were looking for... they don't owe you an explanation as to why or why not they will or wont tell you. The choice is yours based on the information that is available... if you don't like EV1's policies, then you might want to host your solution somewhere else.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Sirius,

Cmon man. I know you are a seasoned, intelligent guy. You cannot possibly believe that EV1's response was in any way warranted nor that this thread isn't useful for ev1 to really rethink their policy.

I totally agree with you that the person should be able to make a decision now based on the response and that I think I know what that decision is I guess it just surprises me. I had always heard EV1 to be a decent customer focussed company. I am quite curious as to why they wouldn't be able to answer that question. Clearly its policy.

For all we know they don't have a real load balancing solution and are doing simple round robin or something. Just weird and now I am curious.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    Sirius,

Cmon man. I know you are a seasoned, intelligent guy. You cannot possibly believe that EV1's response was in any way warranted nor that this thread isn't useful for ev1 to really rethink their policy.

I totally agree with you that the person should be able to make a decision now based on the response and that I think I know what that decision is I guess it just surprises me. I had always heard EV1 to be a decent customer focussed company. I am quite curious as to why they wouldn't be able to answer that question. Clearly its policy.

For all we know they don't have a real load balancing solution and are doing simple round robin or something. Just weird and now I am curious.
    I didn't say anywhere that I agreed with their response... the bottom line is, they responded. If the thread starter wants more information, they should follow up directly with EV1. This isn't the EV1 support forums nor a support method for getting in contact with EV1.

On a personal note, the way they handed it was pretty crappy... but again, that's why we have such a vast array of service providers. If we don't like the response (or lack thereof) we get from one, we have many more to choose from.

Sirius
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Maybe the headsurfer will visit and answer this promptly.
    ^_^

I simply do not understand why it is sucha BIG secret about what you are buying. The way I took it was that their telling me to give them $700 to find out.

I asked my question to them for a very valid reason. I needed a hardware load balancer for a website, and a software load balancer could not offer what I wanted. It was that simple, if they simply said, "It is a shared hardware load balancer, but we can not tell you any more details per our company policy", I would have been happy with that answer. It's just the "I can't tell, and nobody here will help you" response that really got to me.

I never onced raised my voice on the phone, called anybody names, said anything that would upset anyone, I simply asked if it was a software or hardware load balancer.

I understand that it is their right as to what they want to release to the public, but I think the way they responded to my question and hung up on me was way out of line. However, I still think a potential customer should be able to know what their forking over alot of $$$ for upfront, and not a, well let's hand over money and see what I get for it.

Why would they make such a big deal about NOT telling you this info over the phone...yet come here and post the information as if it was something so simple that required no explanation?

We're looking at migrating approximately 30 dedicated servers in the near future...I know who we won't be dealing with.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I simply do not understand why it is sucha BIG secret about what you are buying. The way I took it was that their telling me to give them $700 to find out.

<<snip>>

I understand that it is their right as to what they want to release to the public, but I think the way they responded to my question and hung up on me was way out of line. However, I still think a potential customer should be able to know what their forking over alot of $$$ for upfront, and not a, well let's hand over money and see what I get for it.
    We understand... your posting the same stuff over and over. They've come in and answered and chosen not to respond to your other questions. You posting the same questions over and over isn't going to cause them to hover on over and make them answer.

If you don't like the answers, or lack of answers you received, find another provider which will answer the questions you need answered.

Seriously... this horse is decomposing already.

Sirius

Originally posted by sirius
    We understand... your posting the same stuff over and over.

Sirius
    No offense man but if you're so irritated by this thread then just don't read it. I for one thank Jeff for sharing his experience and giving us an other reason to stay away from EV1.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

I think this thread needs to be kept alive until a suitable explananation is given. The topic simply should not be closed due to the fact they flat out refused to give up any details about the load balancer solution, even after being escalated to a manager. To top it off, they hung up when pressed for more info.

In my book, it's a HUGE deal when a company won't give details about a product they are selling, then treat a potential client like dirt. This guy was about to fork over $700 for something he can't even get a simple details about? C'mon!

Yet the point brought up about the big secrecy over the phone, direct to a customer, and then a complete turnaround, to post the info on a public forum, seems highly unusual.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Honestly, I think you were simply speaking to someone who didn't really have a clue. [email protected] will tailor a solution to your exact needs and give you as much information as you need. The standard sales department is pretty much your basic "My payment isn't being processed!" help, they know very little about their custom high-level ranges. Hence the custom orders department which is handled by managers and you'll be treated well.
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

Originally posted by Laws
    Hence the custom orders department which is handled by managers and you'll be treated well.

He asked to speak to the first guy's manager...the manager is the one who hung up on him. Also, if the reason he wasn't getting help was because it wasn't the first guy's department or area of expertise...why didn't that guy say "let me connect you with someone who can help."?

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    He asked to speak to the first guy's manager...the manager is the one who hung up on him. Also, if the reason he wasn't getting help was because it wasn't the first guy's department or area of expertise...why didn't that guy say "let me connect you with someone who can help."?

--Tina
    That's what got me... A sales "manager" was the one to hang up on me when I asked the question..

That's what got me... A sales "manager" was the one to hang up on me when I asked the question..
    Did you get the guy's name? That would be very interesting information.

--Tina

Daniel (Didn't say last name)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast