Trying to quit smoking

After close to 14 years of smoking, I'm finally making a real effort to ditch this nasty addiction.

I picked up a Nicotrol Patch, "Step 1" as they call it, and I must say, it helps with the withdrawl symptons very well. But I'm still going nuts wanting to go smoke a cig, just out of habit, but I don't NEED to smoke one, which I guess is sort of the point right?

Anyway, if anyone else has been through this, and has any tips I'd appreciate it, if anyone just wants to wish me well on my mission, then that would also be much appreciated.

Wish me luck!

When my dad quit smoking, he replaced cigarettes with suckers.

Good luck with that. I've been trying to quit smoking for the past 6 years. I've been a heavy smoker for the past 8-9 years.

The fact that everybody in my office is a heavy smoker (clients will do that to you) doesn't help at all. Even the ones that weren't smoking are now heavy smokers.

The absolute first thing to do is to get rid of the environment in which you smoke. It actually depends on where you're working.

Secondly, set a goal. One cig per hour. Even if it bugs you, watch the clock. Every hour smoke just one cig. I did that once. Worked out perfectly untill a 6 figure contract with a stiff deadline.

Nowadays I'm a dedicated Kent/Marlboro smoker.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

I was a Newport 100 smoker, I cut down to regulars for my new years resolution.

Luckily for me now, the office is non smoking, I'm not going to smoke any cigarettes at all, I just have the nicotine patch to help with my withdrawls. Right now I don't have any withdrawls really, I'm just so used to going and taking smoke breaks, its wierd, I'm drinking water and chewing gum instead of drinking coffee and smoking cigs. Coffee is one of those cig triggers that makes me wanna smoke, that and beer must be avoided for some time.

I've heard what works is to carry a packet around with you all the time so that you know if you get really desperate you could have one (but you don't)- It works like a comfort thing.I know it sounds stupid but also to smoke menthol instead helps because it sort of weans you off slowly as it just is supposed to be like smoking polo mints !!!

Regards,

Jord and Mum!
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Drinking doesn't help at all. I usually have a few packs Tuborg Strong and smoke like crazy in the meantime. So don't drink. Give up coffee too. Doesn't help either.

Having an extra pack of smoke handy doesn't help either. Why? Once you feel the urge to have just one, you'll have the urge to get another and another one.

I discovered one thing though that helps me cut down drasticly. My significant other. When I'm arround her, I just CAN'T smoke. Not because she would forbid it, as she used to be a heavy smoker a few years back, but as she took up singing seriously and now performing live more often, she won't smoke, but because I don't feel the urge to smoke around her.

Otherwise, there is no hope. Well, maybe if you do something I did a few years back. I went on a one month trip in the mountains, where the air was so fresh, it was hurting my loungs when I lighted a cig.

But that went away when I returned to the office....
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

boyy I'm glad that I didn't start to smoke, and I would never smoke either. Quitting smoke sounds like going to hell

Good luck Take-IT-EZZI, you can do it

I quit 7 years ago after 35+ years of smoking 2 to 3 packs a day.
    In order to quit smoking, you have to want to quit for yourself, not for your wife/husband or mother/father or boss. If you're trying to quit on a whim or for somebody else,
    your changes for success go down. Like they say," if you want to quit smoking, you have to quit smoking".
    The patch worked for me, I never experienced any physical withdrawal.
    Some of the tips given so far are not helpful. Believe me, I've tried everything.
    1:cutting down ( will work for a week before you're right back where you started)
    2: Keeping a pack with you. (why? your goal is to quit)
    The only annoying thing was unconsciously reaching for a smoke in the pocket where i used to keep them. So , if i had kept a pack there, I would of been unsuccessful.(see useless tip #2)
    My advice is to drink plenty of water and get some exercise. After the first couple of days, you'll be amazed at how easy quitting really is. Just follow the directions when you buy the patch.
    And remember, don't smoke while using the patch, you could have a heart attack.(scare tactics often work )

good luck to you.
    i have never smoked and never tried to, but i kinda know what you feel cause i had many friends who went thru similar experience, but the ones who managed to make it are much healthier now
    ``````````````````
    www.chromepixel.com
    Professional WebDesign & Development -- Always At The Peak --

Good luck in quitting. While it's hard, it will ultimately prove to be in your best interest, and that's just what you need to remember during the painful times that will undoubtedly occur if you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

I feel your pain here. I going to be quitting in the next few weeks as a promise to myself that i will no longer smoke when i have a child (funny i pick a stressfull thing to quit for!)

I have tried a few times before and have never been successful, hopefully this time is different.

I wish you luck, let us know how you do with it.

Thanks for all the support everyone its appreciated!

Staticserver, considering you are planning to quit as well I highly recommend using the patch, it really takes the edge off. But then again, this is only day 1, and I haven't taken this thing off yet, we'll see and I'll keep you posted.

I think it helps to put aside the idea that anything will make it easy. After a month of withdrawal it will start to get easier, but until then withdrawal will be difficult.
    Excellent idea to discontinue the alcohol and the caffeine. Alcohol reduces will power, and caffeine can add jitters to withdrawal jitters.
    Drinking lots of water can help. Exercise can help.
    I suggest not cleaning out the ashtrays. Keep the old butts. These will be your desperation smokes. Your goal is to not smoke, and if you give yourself a few puffs because you can't stand to not smoke, you want to limit yourself to only enough to get you through that and nothing more.

If I take 1 drag its all over, that is what I have convinced myself of.

Smoking == Failure

Soon as I get home, the ashtrays get emptied.

I haven't had a sip of coffee all day (which is killin me as much as the cigs if you can beleive it), it's chewing gum and water for me today... I had 3 invitations for drinks tonight, all refused.

I mean it this time, I've tried to quit a million times, today, it sticks, no more cigs 4 me.

Don't just empty the ashtrays, throw them away or give them to someone you know who smokes. Why keep them if you're never going to smoke again? Just try and convince yourself that you're going to quit.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by Tyler
    Don't just empty the ashtrays, throw them away or give them to someone you know who smokes. Why keep them if you're never going to smoke again? Just try and convince yourself that you're going to quit.
    Good idea! The attitude is everything!

I know quite a few people who've quit using gum, and tea. Look for kava kava, wild dagga, or damiana herbs/tea, and steep them. They have a relaxing/happy effect.

You'll be happy once you quit, not only does it ruin many of your personal possessions (health aside), it also sucks up quite a bit of your money.

Start putting the money that you'd normally spend on cigs into a jar labeled with something that you've really wanted, but you've never had the money. You'll be amazed at how quickly the money adds up and that you'll be able to enjoy something very much instead of "enjoying" something that will ultimately kill you.

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    If I take 1 drag its all over, that is what I have convinced myself of.

Smoking == Failure

Soon as I get home, the ashtrays get emptied.

I haven't had a sip of coffee all day (which is killin me as much as the cigs if you can beleive it), it's chewing gum and water for me today... I had 3 invitations for drinks tonight, all refused.

I mean it this time, I've tried to quit a million times, today, it sticks, no more cigs 4 me.
    I partly agree. Half-a**ed goals like "cutting down" are a formula for failure. A strong commitment to resist temptation is good. However, if you do give in and take a puff, you shouldn't decide that the attempt has failed, you're back to square one, time to surrender to the rest of the cigarette. No, it's time to put the cigarette out and get back to not smoking more.
    The idea of allowing yourself a few rationed puffs a day has advantages and disadvantages. It can keep you from going crazy and buying a carton. However, it could mutate into allowing yourself more and more instead of the goal of allowing yourself less and less. If you do allow yourself some rationed puffs, it might be best to do that at bedtime. Activity can keep your mind off the cigarettes, and being asleep you're not smoking. But difficulty falling asleep due to nicotine withdrawal could become an overwhelming problem.

Of course when I quit 22 years ago, there was no nicotine gum. So maybe instead of using old cigarette butts for rationed or emergency puffs, a small portion of a stick of nicotine gum could be used.

Good luck to you. I smoked for over 50 yrears and finally quit March 1, 2004.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Why do people start smoking in first place? I have never tried smoking. I found smoking very bad for second hand smokers. 'Second Hand Smoker' are people who not smoke but are waiting at the bus stop or using the school bathroom, where people are smoking. It is a danger to our health. It is not fair to do this to second hand smoker.
    It would be best not to smoke in public at all or anywhere near nonsmoker or on the job.
    Think of other people beside yourself, that should be one of your motivate to stop smoking.

Originally posted by indiaberry
    Why do people start smoking in first place?
    Most people including me started in school,the whole "peer pressure" thing.
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting

Re: Trying to quit smoking

After close to 14 years of smoking, I'm finally making a real effort to ditch this nasty addiction.

I picked up a Nicotrol Patch, "Step 1" as they call it, and I must say, it helps with the withdrawl symptons very well. But I'm still going nuts wanting to go smoke a cig, just out of habit, but I don't NEED to smoke one, which I guess is sort of the point right?

Anyway, if anyone else has been through this, and has any tips I'd appreciate it, if anyone just wants to wish me well on my mission, then that would also be much appreciated.

Wish me luck!
    I went through this over two years ago now. Each time you do a level of the patch, it's going to be hell. If I remember correctly, there are 4 levels of it. I stopped after two, because I had enough withdrawl symptoms and I figured I'd tough them out one last time. It worked for me very well.

There was a secret to my quitting though: Quest nicotine free cigarettes. If I was going to slip while on the patch, I had one of those. (they taste like crap, but hey, it's something...) When you have serious cravings that might bring you back to smoking, you can always have one of those without fear of getting hooked again. The psychological aide I got from knowing that really helped me to kick everything for good very quickly.

Re: Re: Trying to quit smoking

Originally posted by Andrew
    Quest nicotine free cigarettes.
    hmm dont think we have these in Australia,might ask around though.
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting

I've been working on this a bit lately.

But, them 40 years of smokin' is kinda hard to shake.

No useful advice. Just keep at it. And don't quit quitin.'
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by RHShawn
    Most people including me started in school,the whole "peer pressure" thing.
    Now that you do understand the whole pressure thing...how can people keep their children from smoking as it might kill their children before themselve??

I think children are unlikely to be very impressed by what this is going to do to them 50 years in the future. Maybe the thing to emphasize is what's happening in front of them--how their "cool" smoking friends are such slaves to the next dose of nicotine.

I wish i can quit to.! The Sooneer the better! Good Luck for all those who will try to quit Smoking! We Can do it someday
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Re: Trying to quit smoking

Wish me luck!

i quit smoking in 1997 and, sorry to say, the cravings are still with me. They happen less and less frequently, but they still hit me on occasion.
    Its not a problem because i know i will never smoke again, not ever. But still, its unreal... i dont think the cravings ever go away.
    (i started smoking in 1975)
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

I smoked for 6 years and just stopped one day. I started back up a little over a year later and smoked for a year before I decided to quit again. The second time was not so easy, in fact I thought it was going to be impossible. I swapped tobacco cigarettes for the nicotine free ones as mentioned before. The nicotine free ones smoked just like a regular cigarette except the contents were cornsilk and red clover or catnip. 30 days of that and it was easy enough to toss the fake ones.

As with anything, addiction is possible. However, in the case of common "vices" such as cigarettes, coffee, or soda, the addiction is one of a chemical, and thereby much more potent, nature. The addiction needs to be fought off in a way analogous to a disease: by administering small doses of the chemical agent, gradually decreasing the dose until the addiction is virtually gotten rid of.

There are also mental addictions, and even chemical addictions have a mental counterpart, as well. If it were just physiological changes that were needed to rid the body of the chemical addiction, it wouldn't be even close to as hard to give up the addiction, and it's even debatable whether or not the addiction would have started in the first place. Peer pressure and other mental influences (even social smoking/drinking/other "bad" habits) determine much of the attitude about and outlook on the particular addiction that one has.

If you have kids think of them... think you couldnt be around in a few years to watch them grow up, think you will never see them graduate, you will die soon, and stuff...

Thanks for all the responses, advice, and support, its much appreciated.

I have cheated a few times, but still working on it. Considering I was up to 2+ packs a day, even if I smoke a couple a day I suppose this is a drastic improvement and move in the right direction.

I totally forgot about the nicotine free cigs, I should try that.

With the patch, my withdrawls are practically non-existant, I know I can kick that part, its just the habit thats killin me now.

It scares the heck out of me that people say they quit years ago and still have cravings, what a horrible addiction this is.

I have to give a lot of respect to all the people who did manage to quit, especially those who did it without the aid of things like the patch/gum etc... this takes A LOT of strength, when I have kids, if I catch one with a cigarette he/she is gettin the whoopin of his/her life! (Strictly out of love of course)

A bunch of people have told me that wellbutrin (not sure if spelled right), which is actually an anti-depressant totally kills all urge to smoke, but also has some ugly side effects... Anyone else know anything about this?

The herb lobelia contains lobeline, which fits into the same receptor sites as nicotine, the difference being lobelia isn't addictive, in short periods of time. Also, it can be made into a tea

Better start looking into a diet plan , as reformed smokers have a tendancy to gain weight
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

quitting smoking is easy... I've done it hundreds of times

actually... I don't smoke and I never will, but good luck with everything

recognizing there's a problem is a good first step

I never quit smoking but I did quit dipping tobacco years ago. They say that the nicotine from dipping is higher than smoking but it seems smokers have a harder time quitting just from my limited observations.

I would offer these general suggestions knowing smoking is different:

1. Nicotine withdrawal really stinks. I quit because I met a really cool lady who eventually became my wife. She didn't know I dipped but I figured it was easier to quit than keep hiding it from her. I basically went cold turkey over a weekend and within 48 hours I had lost my intense craving. My body felt really strange and I wanted nicotine badly but I had resolved ahead of time that I would not start up again and didn't.

2. Even after nicotine cravings had subsided there were social situations that I craved the habit. I replaced the habit with chewing gum or using mint snuff in those situations until the craving of the habit went away (that took years).

3. Exercise. I've seen a lot of people get really fat after quitting. Exercise is good in a lot of ways but if you have the discipline to quit you might as well parlay some of that discipline into a regular exercise routine.

Best wishes to you in your efforts.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I quit smoking 8 years ago and just before the stressful period (my first exams time). I didn't have to smoke for three days, so I have decided to try not to smoke next day and next day, and next day...

In crisis-moments I was taking an ice-cream (but not the family pack! and not more than one-two a day) or chewing-gums. But do not take this as a must! One thing you have to understand is that smoking is not just a need, otherwise you will be smoking not more than 5-6 cigs a day. It is (bad) habit more than anything else!

So, here are my practical advices to you (based on my own experience). For the professional advice, consult a physician.

In the very beginning, you should avoid every situation in which you are used to smoke just as manner: for example if you are used to smoke always when you (think that you) are nervous, when you watching TV, playing something with your friends (cards, yamb, etc.), drinking, when you coming in somewhere (int the bar, at home, at your friends, relatives, parents...). Check in what other situations you are used to smoke just as a habit, as a manner and not because you have to and try to avoid them as much as it is possible.

On the other side, there are situations that you can not avoid, and in which you are also used to smoke, such as when you are getting up in the morning, just after the breakfast, lunch, dinner, and similar. In those situations, you can use chewing gum, juice, water, coke or even ice-cream. Take a vitamines, fruit and vegetables and you do not have to worry of becoming a fat.

You do not have to read and learn what you have to do to quit smoking. That is not a point at all. You have to break off of a smoking! That is the most important thing. For example, when I told a couple of my friends (that have tried for several times to quit smoking) that I'm trying to stop smoking, the hardest issue, but also and only common thing for all of them was: "I did not know what to do with my hands (without a cigarette)!" So I was start only to think what should I do with my hands and whenever I thought that I am quitting smoking I was thinking about my hands. Instead of cig, I was used to hold a small ruber toy, even when we were going out in the evening. Of course, when you get a point, you will see that "free hands problem" was completely unessential for quitting smoking.

I was also thinking about my lungs, so I intensified my sports activity that I have neglected before: playing basketball, jogging, riding a bicycle... I was much younger then and I thought that if I push harder, I will throw-out all those poisons from my lungs faster. As a result, during my first non-smoking month I have experienced a heartburn. Not always, just from time to time and just during a play or ride or run. But I was feeling better and more healthy.

If you really have a good will to stop smoking, do not worry, you will succeed. Just think to things other than cigarettes and do not associate them with all situations mentioned above. Maybe you should go somewhere for a holiday, too.

I still drinking a plenty of coffee, sometimes beer and other drinks, and all of that - cigs free! And if you want to know, I have feeling just like I have never smoked. Even more, when I come home after a party or after going out with my friends, I can smell all that awful stench on my clothing, hair even on my face. That is more than enough to keep me further away from cigarettes. Imagine how bad your breath is, how your health bad will be, check your brown fingers, your teeths. Imagine also how many great things have you "smoked away" (for example: how much money have you spend on cigarettes during all those years of smoking, how many MONTHS of wonderful holidays is that, how many cars, maybe even houses is that?, etc.).

It is not that hard, don't you think? But it is a big deal. If there is anything more that I may help you, please feel free to contact me.

P.S.: I forgot to mention: taking one cigarette less a day or a week is not a way to stop smoking at all! You can replace cigarettes with strips, chewing-gums for smokers and similar, but remember that you can not replace cigarettes with cigarettes or with one cigarette less.

I'm 29 and have been smoking since I was 13. 3 months ago I finally had my last smoke. It was hard at smoking 2 packs a day, sometimes more but this is what worked for me.

[1] Threw away EVERYTHING in the house that had to do with smoking. (ashtrays, lighters, cleaned house, got smelling fragrance)

[2] I took zyban 2 weeks prior to my quite date. The first 3-4 days I also used step 2 of the patch.

[3] Remember those cinnamon toothpicks we use to have when we were kids? I ordered 1000 packs off e-bay so I had something in my mouth at all times.

[4] I bought a box of straws to chew on.

[5] Grabbed a case of gum in assorted flavors.

[6] Stop drinking coffee for the first 2 months. Did not go out to bars or have any alcohol to drink in the first 2 months.

[7] Apologies to everyone around me before, preparing them for me being the biggest @sshole on earth

[8] After EVERY MEAL I brushed my teeth. You would be amazed how this killed the after food craving.

I can't recall anymore things I did but it's not easy and if anyone tells you it is punch them in the face. Withdraws are apart of life when you smoke as much as we do and your body won't like you. One thing you need to watch is what you eat because you will eat more when you stop smoking.

Good luck!