Access point vs Router

What is the difference between an access point and a router when it comes to WLAN?

A access point will get you onto your "network" and won't have any advanced features, like a firewall, NAT, etc So you would only really be able to use one computer at a time, if you are using it for cable internet access.

A router has advanced features like NAT, a firewall, DHCP, etc... Probably what you are looking for unless you are using it in a corperate envrioment which has dedicated machines to do these different tasks
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

think of an access point like a hub... it's the same as plugging an ethernet cable into a hub, but instead of an ethernet cable you are using wireless.

a router routes :-p (ie. acts as a gateway (mainly) to your ISP, allowing multiple computers to access the ISP connection simultaneously.)

So if you already have a wired router, and you simply need to connect a wireless laptop or some other wireless device, you can pickup an access point and plug it into the router to extend the network.

Thank you, now I know I need to buy a router.

can't edit any more

But is it possible to connect 2 routers?

1. My current ADSL router
    2. The new wireless router connected to the first router?

Originally posted by Johnburk
    can't edit any more

But is it possible to connect 2 routers?

1. My current ADSL router
    2. The new wireless router connected to the first router?
    You can turn a wireless router into an Access Point and connect it to an exist router.

However, I'm going on a guess here and say you have a Westell Modem (or Speedsteam), in that case, you can easily put the modem in "bridge mode" and allow the router to handle the PPPOE requests, as well as assign DHCP IPs to each computer on your network. Plus it'll handle the wireless aspect.

Cascading routers usually is not a problem. Depending on the hardware, there could be a speed sacrifice when doing this.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Originally posted by CybexHost
    Cascading routers usually is not a problem. Depending on the hardware, there could be a speed sacrifice when doing this.
    It's just silly and a bad idea. Multiple levels of NAT gets very hairy. Use access points if you already have all the routing capability you need. Or buy a router (because they're generally cheaper) and sacrifice a switch port for an uplink, then turn off DHCP, and you've got yourself an AP.