Recommend reliable VPS for under $35/m

Hi guys,

I'm currently in search of a VPS provider that charges less than $35 per month and provides a reliable service with fast support and servers based in the US. I read that Dinix were good but that they've gone downhill since the WHP takeover. Who else is there in that price range? I read about VPSColo and JVDS but apparantly they've got bad too.

Thanks in advance!

You won't find a *good* VPS in that price range, the resources allocated will be so small that you're actually in reality better off on shared hosting.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

if you up your budget by $10 you can go for a decent VPS from PowerVPS.com.

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I switched to a2b2.com and I am using their $35 package here are the details. I am happy with support and service.

256 Mb Ram
    30GB Disk (excluding OS)
    300Gb Transfer
    2 Fixed IPs
    Choice of FreeBSD, CentOS, Gentoo, Fedora,RedHat, Debian
    Virtuozzo or UML Based

$35.00/mo US based or £20.00 UK based

Hi guys,

Thanks, I'll do some research on a2b2.com and I'll take a look at PowerVPS and ServInt and perhaps up my budget a bit.

Thanks

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    You won't find a *good* VPS in that price range, the resources allocated will be so small that you're actually in reality better off on shared hosting.

Dan
    I dont really agree with that statement. Just do some homework here on wht for vps solutions. There are many vetran companies providing a quality product in your price range.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

Actually if you dont need control panel, you will find a lot of very good offer

brainwarped, what site do you have hosted with a2b2.com?

I also have a UML VPS with a2b2 and am very happy with the service.

I'm not putting much load on the server yet so will see how it pans out.

I recently moved from a reseller A/C to a VPS with a2b2.com - it has only been a couple of weeks.

No issues, no problems - quick support. It is heaps faster than my previous reseller account.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Originally posted by samdax
    Actually if you dont need control panel, you will find a lot of very good offer
    I should have mentioned that, but for $35 with control panel, I'm sticking to my statement...

Do the maths, cPanel costs you $10/ve at least, Virtuozzo licensing comes to about $3/ve. That's $22 left for your hardware costs, host machine is probably around $400/mo for something with 4GB RAM, divide that into 16*256mb ve's, that's $25/ve hardware costs ... you see where I'm going?

It's pretty hard to do without overselling (which I'm strongly against), but thats just my point of view...
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Tektonic do a VPS for $35 with a choice of cPanel, Plesk or Direct Admin but they don't seem to have any available at the moment.

Originally posted by slowdive
    Tektonic do a VPS for $35 with a choice of cPanel, Plesk or Direct Admin but they don't seem to have any available at the moment.
    They use Xen and not Virtuozzo so costs are lower. They also offer less RAM than Dan used in his example.

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by brainwarped
    I switched to a2b2.com and I am using their $35 package here are the details. I am happy with support and service.

256 Mb Ram
    30GB Disk (excluding OS)
    300Gb Transfer
    2 Fixed IPs
    Choice of FreeBSD, CentOS, Gentoo, Fedora,RedHat, Debian
    Virtuozzo or UML Based

$35.00/mo US based or £20.00 UK based
    I am on the $25 plan with extra $5 for cpanel/whm/fantastico (i believe its $7.50 now)...

128 Mb Ram
    20GB Disk (excluding OS)
    200Gb Transfer
    1 Fixed IP
    Choice of FreeBSD, CentOS, Gentoo, Fedora,RedHat,Debian
    UML Based

$25.00/mo US or £14.00/mo UK based

You can add DirectAdmin/C-Panel or Plesk for $7.50/mo or £3.75/mo on any package
    With C-Panel we also include RVSkins and Fantastico at no extra charge
    In summary. Fast support, great servers. Couldnt reccomend them more. Probably some of the most affordable VPS on the market too (that has good support and a good reputation - maybe not a huge reputation yet but they will have as they become more established).

Also the thing I like about a2b2 is I got instant answers over live chat (msn i believe) which was just very easy for me.

Hope this helps.

Try steadfastnetworks.com
    I have one from then thats only $35 per month. It runs really well and their support is awesome.

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan

Dan
    It higly depends on what you plan to do with your VPS. It is very possible to get good VPS servers in that pricerange.
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.

Hello,
    I am on the $25 plan with extra $5 for cpanel/whm/fantastico
    I am quite interest in a2b2.com. Any speed test file? Any idea about their background and history?

Originally posted by elix
    They use Xen and not Virtuozzo so costs are lower. They also offer less RAM than Dan used in his example.

Cheers,
    It should be noted that Tektnoic only uses Xen for their $7.99 really cheapo VPS option.

Their regular VPS plans use Virtuozzo. Back when I signed up for mine last year you could customize it really easily. I signed up for the Power plan and skipped the Plesk/Cpanel option to save money and added an additional 64MB a few months later.Been great for me, too bad they are sold out

Here is one of my websites:

photo.brainwarped.net

Sorry about the url. The forum would not let me post a url.

If anyone signs up, I would not mind the referral.

Originally posted by kuato
    It should be noted that Tektnoic only uses Xen for their $7.99 really cheapo VPS option.

Their regular VPS plans use Virtuozzo. Back when I signed up for mine last year you could customize it really easily. I signed up for the Power plan and skipped the Plesk/Cpanel option to save money and added an additional 64MB a few months later.Been great for me, too bad they are sold out
    I changed from tektonic to their unixshell brand back when it started and I acctually prefer Xen. I got the 64 plan w/o a panel and was on a comparabel virtuozzo plan before and the xen VM is faster and more responsive than the previous one.
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.