Question Redhat Enterprise/CentOS Firewall

I'm running CentOS 3.4, and I can type "setup" on the command line to setup the firewall.

However...

1. I can't specify port ranges, just individual ports

2. When I type "setup" AGAIN and return to the firewall configuration screen, all of the settings I set last time are gone, blanked out and I have to start again

Is this working to specification? Or is the built-in firewall just crap and I should use APF?

Or should I be modifying some file instead of using the "setup" interface?

Re: Redhat Enterprise/CentOS Firewall

Originally posted by Mitsurugi
    I'm running CentOS 3.4, and I can type "setup" on the command line to setup the firewall.

However...

1. I can't specify port ranges, just individual ports

2. When I type "setup" AGAIN and return to the firewall configuration screen, all of the settings I set last time are gone, blanked out and I have to start again

Is this working to specification? Or is the built-in firewall just crap and I should use APF?

Or should I be modifying some file instead of using the "setup" interface?
    What have you expected? This firewall GUI is used by people who don't need to run a hosting server.
    Use APF, Shorewall or just own iptables scripts

I will second APF, and here is why:

RFXN, the dude that makes it, has made numerous other scripts that, are for the most part, ment to integrate with apf.

For example, BFD will automatically add a ip to the drop table for APF if it is brute forcing.

Also, APF and Shorewall are jsut a wrapper or middle-ware for iptables.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

What if a customer already has iptables installed, and then installs APF, will the existing configuration he had custom-configured with iptables be replaced by the APF setup?
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

Originally posted by afa340a
    What if a customer already has iptables installed, and then installs APF, will the existing configuration he had custom-configured with iptables be replaced by the APF setup?
    It will by default.