fair use of images online

is it always wrong to use pictures from other websites to my own website? im not talking about pictures on sites that sell pictures.

if i want to have a personal site and have a gallery of my favourite cities, cant i just use any pics available online?

What?

if i want to have a personal site and have a gallery of my favourite cities, cant i just use any pics available online?

Let me know about end results in a couple of years....

C'mon you know better than that....
    http://www.ciclonpr.com
    Web Design - Web Hosting - SEO Services

Re: fair use of images online

Originally posted by Setheus
    is it always wrong to use pictures from other websites to my own website?
    No, not always. If you've asked for, and been granted, permission to use someone else's image(s), then it's OK. That's the difference between 'borrowing' and 'stealing'.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

yup, just ask for there permission =D

Email them and ask them nicely whether it would be ok for you to use their images. They will either say yes, no, or yes as long as you host it on your server or add a copyright link to them.

why going to all this hazzle when you can just buy a subscription to a photo or pictures site and do some modifications to the so they look different or better yet learn or hire a designer?

You will not have to wait for a single person to get approval and then keeping all those emails just in case.... doesn't make any sense
    http://www.ciclonpr.com
    Web Design - Web Hosting - SEO Services

There are many free stock photo sites.

*usually* people don't care unless you're making money off their stuff, or causing them to lose potential revenue by using their stuff.

However, if you want to be totally technical about it, you really can't use anything from any site without permission. But, for all intents and purposes, like you're saying about 'cuties', I seriously doubt, for example, that all of the Jennifer Love Hewitt pics on sites in the world are all the product of legally obtained permission to use her pics