Thread: FTP issue

FTP issue

FTP stopped working on my server a couple of days ago. If I try to connect using an ftp client, I can't get connected. If I try to run FTP interactively from the command line, I get "connection closed by remote host" after I enter my username. I am running PROFTPD on RHE server. I have restarted PROFTPD and rebooted my server, with no luck. Any idea what could be causing this or where I can find the log file for FTP?

What is the error received when trying to connect with an FTP client?

Have you recently added any firewall rules to the server or setup any firewall hardware appliances? If you're being authenticated with the username/password but no directory listing shows up, disable passive FTP mode on your FTP client.

I had a VERY similar problem except I just rebooted server which fixed the problem, just give somemore info on the error here and I'll try to help as best I can.

Hello rrsnider,

I had the same issue.. The moment you hit enter after giving the username (thru shell) the error shows up --> connection closed by remote host

Did /scripts/ftpup --force with no help.. Switch from pro to pure and that will fix..

You may also try switching back to pro if you so particular abt using pro itself.. i.e; pro to pure and then to pro.. That MIGHT fix.. Havent tried yet!

Originally posted by SmartTux
    Hello rrsnider,

I had the same issue.. The moment you hit enter after giving the username (thru shell) the error shows up --> connection closed by remote host

Did /scripts/ftpup --force with no help.. Switch from pro to pure and that will fix..

You may also try switching back to pro if you so particular abt using pro itself.. i.e; pro to pure and then to pro.. That MIGHT fix.. Havent tried yet!
    But better use pure.
    Pro is a monster!

there is a known issue of the proftpd 1.3.0 . Check the following thread and hope it helps you :

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread....hlight=proftpd

Thanks for the cpanel post. This sequence fixed the problem:

These are the lines you are looking for in /etc/proftpd.conf

#<IfModule mod_tls.c>
    # TLSEngine on
    # TLSProtocol TLSv1
    # TLSRequired off
    # TLSRSACertificateFile /etc/ftpd-rsa.pem
    # TLSRSACertificateKeyFile /etc/ftpd-rsa-key.pem
    # TLSVerifyClient off
    #</IfModule>

I commented these out, restarted proftpd and the problem was instantly solved.