Re: Switching registrar and host

Hey guys!

Suppose someone were to switch both registrars and webhosts. I know it's as simple as doing a domain transfer (as long as it's not in LOCKED status) to the new registrar and then pointing the DNS of the new registrar to the new host, but suppose it were for a business wanting to experience NO downtime (website continuously up, no emails lost in the transition).

My question is - what is the easiest, safest way to do the switch? I suppose having the data (and email boxes created) on both servers? Problem is, on the new server, the mail login is "[email protected]" whereas it's just "user" on the old.

I've heard something about changing TTL times for faster propagation...? Will this help at all? Anyone have any advice for me?

All you have to do is create all of the email accounts on the new host, transfer all of the website files to the new host (test it and make sure it is working etc.) than point the nameservers to the new host, simple.. If you switch registrars this will prob create downtime, I suggest not switching registars. Just repoint the domain once everything is all setup. As for the email settings being different this wont cause missing email, just have the users change there settings, any mail that has come through will be waiting for download....
    Good luck.

Edit: Typo

Zero downtime during hosts transfer is possible. Just keep your old host up and running for a while even though you pointed to your new host. This way visitors still not "dns-propagated" would still be able to access your site (your old site at least)
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

If you actually do transfer your domain, you will have down time. Only way is to do what Chokey said.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Question How long does it take to transfer a domain ?

Hi all,
    I've heard it takes from 5 to 7 working days to complete the domain transfer from losing to gaining registrar. I'm curious : Why it takes that long ? I guess many steps and parties involved ?
    Many thanks for your help.

Re: How long does it take to transfer a domain ?

Originally posted by tran
    Why it takes that long ? I guess many steps and parties involved ?
    Hi Tran,

As you said there are many steps and parties involved. The ICANN has strict regulations for domain transfers, for example:

- the gaining registrar is required to obtain express authorization from the Transfer Contact. Hence, a transfer may only be made if the confirmation of the transfer is received by the gaining Registrar by the Transfer Contact.
    - Authorization must be obtained by email or fax.
    - EPP domains require an EPP/authorization key for transfer.
    - The domain must be at least 60-days old and must be in ACTIVE or OK status.

If you want to know in more detail, you can go to ICANN's website or to any registrar and look for its transfer regulations.

Grettings!

Yea .org domain names are a pain in the butt to transfer now because of that EPP.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

You shouldn't experience downtime as a result of transferring the domain name to a different registrar.

Re: Re: How long does it take to transfer a domain ?

Hi Jandres4,
    Many thanks for the answer.
    Originally posted by jandres4
    - the gaining registrar is required to obtain express authorization from the Transfer Contact. Hence, a transfer may only be made if the confirmation of the transfer is received by the gaining Registrar by the Transfer Contact.
    - Authorization must be obtained by email or fax.
    - EPP domains require an EPP/authorization key for transfer.
    - The domain must be at least 60-days old and must be in ACTIVE or OK status.
    I have gone thru the steps you mentioned above two days ago, but my domains are still in "pendingtransfer" status. As I know, I have nothing to do more with the process, just wait and be patient . I wonder in addition to all the known steps above, who are doing what with the process to spend 3 to 5 days to come...
    FYI I just received this email from the current (reseller) registrar:

Dear Customer,

We have received a request to transfer the domain name *mydomain.com* to *new registrar co.*. As the legal registrant of this domain name, only you can authorize such transfer.

If you did not request this transfer and wish for us to reject it on your behalf, please send a request to *a link*

Sincerely,
    (*I changed the names for privacy*)

I have no idea what to do with this email. I just sent a reply ask them exactly "what to do with this ???"

Cheers !

Re: Re: Re: How long does it take to transfer a domain ?

Hi Tran, you are more than welcome
    Originally posted by tran
    I have no idea what to do with this email. I just sent a reply ask them exactly "what to do with this ???"
    jeje yeah, that is a confusing email. I think you just did the only thing anyone could do, ask them what to do .
    All the transfer requests are regulated by ICAAN, but I guess every registrar has its own way to ask for the authorization (and not every one of them knows how to do it well).

Greettings!

tran: the reason they send this is to make sure someone else is not messing with your domain.
    The short answer is: you don't need to do anything
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    tran: the reason they send this is to make sure someone else is not messing with your domain.
    The short answer is: you don't need to do anything
    Hi Nadabrahma,
    Your reply calms me down and relaxed anyway.
    The most confusing thing is I went to their office two days ago to show the contract and to confirm that I do want to transfer the domains (yeah I know you guys surprised - this happens in VN) as per their request. Still I received the email mentioned above.
    My sites, my domains, and even myself are ... cheap comparing with professional world, but, I love these just like a kid loves his toys !
    Thanks all for replies !
    Tran
    PS: Still not yet receive the reply from them for the question "what to do", though we're in working time now. It's not 24x7 support isn't it ???

Update

OK - so the registrar transfer was done (took 6 days - apparently it's the new transfer policy ... so they couldn't speed it up) - and so I logged into the new registrar and updated the Nameservers to point to the new Webhost.

The WEBSITE now loads up from the new Webhost, but the MAIL SERVERS do not - the business was checking mail with no errors, which I found weird (since the new host's CP is set up to use [email protected] for each email address, whereas the old one was just 'username') --- so I changed the username and passwords and it looks as if it has not yet propagated.

Is this normal? Website/domain propagates to the new server within 24 hours but the mail servers do not?! Doesn't make sense to me. I hope this is normal.

> The WEBSITE now loads up from the new Webhost, but the MAIL
    > SERVERS do not

This could be due to a number of things. Did you create a "MX" record for the new mailhost? Has the new mailhost been setup to receive email for domain? What error(s) do you get when trying to send yourself email? Is the problem sending email to your account or reading your email from the new IMAP/POP3 servers (or even webmail)? posting your actual username and domainname would allow others to help diagnose the mail sending portion.

Steve
    Wiseburn Networks
    http://www.wiseburn.net/

Originally posted by wiseburn
    > The WEBSITE now loads up from the new Webhost, but the MAIL
    > SERVERS do not

This could be due to a number of things. Did you create a "MX" record for the new mailhost? Has the new mailhost been setup to receive email for domain? What error(s) do you get when trying to send yourself email? Is the problem sending email to your account or reading your email from the new IMAP/POP3 servers (or even webmail)? posting your actual username and domainname would allow others to help diagnose the mail sending portion.

Steve
    Thanks for the reply =)

- Did I create an MX record? It was created automatically when i added the domain - the CP the new server is running on is Interworx (www.interworx.info) - it added the MX record automatically.
    - Has the new Mailhost (webhost) been setup to receive email for the domain? Yes, and all the email accounts in question were created (with the same l/ps as before).
    - What error(s) do I get when trying to send myself email? No error - it appears to go through just fine as long as I use the old user/pw (username without the @domain.tld)
    - The problem is reading email from the new POP3 server - it says incorrect l/p when i enter [email protected] (which is what an Interworx-based server requires) - but checks it fine when i check email with 'username' alone. When it checks the mail fine, it finds no new email, though i've sent myself test emails. Therefore, it appears that the DNS propagated but the local DNS servers (from the ISP) aren't resolving the new NS records properly for the domain in question.

I don't know if this might tell you a bit more about the situation.

All i wanted to know was if it was normal that the mail servers had a different TTL time than the actual domain - is that true? Can that be possible?
    Last edited by int.; 07-31-2005 at 11:42 PM.

The TTL returned on a query may actually be counting down the time till the caching server should expire the record. A webhosting company could use a lower ttl for address records if it plans to move sites from one server to another (offload an overloaded server) but not plan to change MX records.

Does a Query of your MX record point to your new Mail Exchange? If so, there probably is not a DNS issue. Are you sending your test messages from a different account like yahoo or hotmail so you will get the bounces? If you are using your username [at] domain.com to send mail to yourself, you would have no way of knowing if it bounces. Once again, posting your actual username and domain names will allow us to query the DNS servers and send mail to your account so we can see any bounces. If the mail is being accepted by the MX, perhaps your mailboxes have not been setup right. In which case it's best to contact your provider.

Good Luck,
    Steve
    Wiseburn Networks
    http://www.wiseburn.net/

Hey Guys, Thought I Would Give My 2 Cents, but i have been with go daddy, and when i change my nameservers it usualy takes 1 day, i do it during the day and then the next morning it works fine. So i guess its just who you bought your domain off. I guess the more professional people do it better, im not sure how it really works, but i would love to know