file system tracking utilities?

maybe 'tracking' isn't the right word, but are there any utilities that will keep track of the file system outside of the home/ mount (or other specified directories), and note any newly uploaded or moved files? obviously it will notice a lot of files, but if you could specify which ones are 'ok' and to ignore them, it would be quite useful i'd think.

Re: file system tracking utilities?

Originally posted by skyler.insler
    maybe 'tracking' isn't the right word, but are there any utilities that will keep track of the file system outside of the home/ mount (or other specified directories), and note any newly uploaded or moved files? obviously it will notice a lot of files, but if you could specify which ones are 'ok' and to ignore them, it would be quite useful i'd think.
    cpanel has a tool that keeps track of newly uploaded files that have the ability to send e-mail. It's helpful in catchign things someitmes. I'm not sure specifically what they use to do it but atleast that would be a step in the right direction

Use something like tripwire that does checksums on critical files. This can alert you of changes to core system files.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

skyler.insler,

You can always try phpscripts.com web site and also google for such tools there lots of it

Matt