Well I'm pissed

Hello,

Well after reading these and other forums for about a week and a half, I decided to take the plunge and get a dedicated server. It came down that I needed it some where east and wanted it up as quickly as possible because I don't want to waste my time setting up my server and playing with it every day. Anyway I am using this server for a game server/ counter strike source. Well after reading here 15minute servers looked great so I took the plunge after talking to Matt on the phone ( I ordered the 2.8 , 1gig ram 100mb/s port etc.. ) Thinking this should run a 12 man private and a 18 man public server with tons of resources to spare.

Well I was wrong, I setup the 12 man private and for some reason only a certain ppl could connect, So Eric at 15min servers fixed this problem (issue being that the ip's where not being seen from the outside world ) anyway thats great got it up and running. This 12 man server should use about 20 percent cpu resources and it is at 80 - 90 percent.

So, now I realize this box is useless to me ( had it for 3 days ) , and I email 15min servers advise them this box is not going to do the job and I wanted a refund because this box is useless to me ( then they can sell to someone else )
    There response is we do not give refunds but, you can cancel your order at any time and your server is good till the end of the billing month .

Well no sh*t its good till the end of the month but I had this thing for 3 days , it doesn't meet my needs ( it is a paper weight to me but in NJ that I can't even use as a paper weight).

So, 15min servers there quick setup , good support but wtf no refunds , I pissed.
    Now im out 150 bux for nothing. In the long wrong buyers beware becasue these server markets are a big scam !!!!! Everyone I have delt with in the past 6 months promise good service , no lag etc . etc. but in the long run they just want your money.

The sad thing is that they wouldn't even give me any of my money back thats what makes me mad , what a shaddy business.

Well thats my rant sorry for the length but I'm fustrated to say the least,
    chunkd

That's too bad but if you bothered to read their TOS/AUP you would have saw the no refund policy. In the end it's your fault for not doing the research.

I can't see a little 12 man server taking up that much resources realistically... Windows OS?
    Honestly i'd play with the configs a bit.. Your not gonna get it right the first time afterall..
    If you've done this sorta thing before, Sorry, But judging from your post it looks like your new in the scene.

Good luck.

Well I did read there TOS, that is why I called there customer service before I made an order. I stated, what if the server doesn't meet my needs? , I will know within the first couple of days ( once setup) . They advised me that we will get you setup and try it out and if in the first couple of days or so it doesn't meet your needs we issue a refund. Did they do this no, what it comes down to, is they want your money nothing else plain and simple. Either way I don't care I just hate being lied to, I wish we all had video phones so I knew what the guy looked like and go take care of business in a non-business fashion if you know what I mean , lol.

As for the other reply ( I am a computer engineer, I work with cutting edge technology/servers ( I work for the government/ I work in a testing environment / test new technology to see if it will meet business needs , fun job and I play with all the new equipment / hey I work for the government they virtually have no budget so I get all the latest and greastest stuff ) , so to say the least I know my stuff, I have managed dedicated servers in the past . Yes, I know a little crappy 12man server should be no problem on this box, as far as settings concerned it is running fedora core 3 (linux) nothing else is running just bare essentials so no problem there.

cheers
    chunkd
    Last edited by chunkd; 07-14-2005 at 10:21 AM.

You did signup to the monthly rather than annual contract I assume?

rus

if they stated before that they would issue a refund then they should, that is of course if you know the name of the person you talked to or have it in a written email,

In either case, a 12-man server should not use that much, if its installed stock, and ran it should definitely only use no more than 7% when idle. with players even it shouldnt go above 30% . unless you were complelty reckless and did all these max_fps 100000 and sys_ticrate 100000 things.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Originally posted by chunkd
    Well I did read there TOS, that is why I called there customer service before I made an order. I stated, what if the server doesn't meet my needs? , I will know within the first couple of days ( once setup) . They advised me that we will get you setup and try it out and if in the first couple of days or so it doesn't meet your needs we issue a refund.
    Sorry I missed that part in your original post, definetly call them back and mention the verbal agreement you had with Matt (assuming you didn't do that already of course).

Nope , I am locked in for a year, so a year with a paper weight that I can't even use because it is not even close to me. I should pay for the shipping and get them to ship me the 1u box (server) to me. This way I will be able to use it for some thing , lol.

cheers
    chunkd
    ps: it is only a month contract.

so you are only locked for a month, at least its not an entire year, which is precisely why i never go for those yearly deals, unless of course i have a server with a company for at least a few years previously lol

there must be something wrong with the configs on the server if it using that much resources, I do not believe 15 minute servers is at fault at all. For my personal clan servers (UT2004) I use fedora core 2 with a p4 3.0 1gb ram and I can put 6 servers on there with no problem. I have had 2 16 player vehicle ctf 12 man DM and my 1v1 server full before with cpu usage being at about 70% other ones were empty. Double check your configs and if needed turn your settings down if they are maxed out.

and yeah there usually is no money back on any dedicated server....anywhere...ever, that is normal even if you had it for 8 minutes. It is a month "contract" its like renting out a house and the person lived there for a week and asked for 3 weeks back because of their mistake....you would tell them to eat it

Hello,

Thank you for your responses , trust me it is not my conifgs it is the box, I have spent 2 days on something that should take 20min of my time to setup ( it is easy to setup, the longer portion is waithing for files to download)

I understand that it is a month contract but like I stated, They would not let me test the box to see if it would fit my needs unless I gave them money first , so that is why I said if it doesn't fit my needs can I get a refund ( I will know with in a few days / after server setup) and they said yes.

It comes down to them not keeping there word !!!! plain and simple. I clearly stated that I want to test the box after setup to see if it would suit my needs and it does not and now I want my money back. Hell, charge me a setup fee I don't care I just want my money back on a product that is useless to me and in a verbal agreement that I had with them.

Anyway I know my lesson , get a Dual Xeon 3.2 1 gig ram etc. etc. (a config that is way over my specs needed ) and it will definitly take care of my needs , now just to find someone in the NYC area that can give me a deal on this kind of server for 129/ month. hahaha ya right

chunkd

Originally posted by rmurray321
    there must be something wrong with the configs on the server if it using that much resources, I do not believe 15 minute servers is at fault at all. For my personal clan servers (UT2004) I use fedora core 2 with a p4 3.0 1gb ram and I can put 6 servers on there with no problem. I have had 2 16 player vehicle ctf 12 man DM and my 1v1 server full before with cpu usage being at about 70% other ones were empty. Double check your configs and if needed turn your settings down if they are maxed out.

and yeah there usually is no money back on any dedicated server....anywhere...ever, that is normal even if you had it for 8 minutes. It is a month "contract" its like renting out a house and the person lived there for a week and asked for 3 weeks back because of their mistake....you would tell them to eat it

I just noticed this post after I replied to your e-mail. I don't think it is fair that you send me an e-mail and not even 20 minutes later, and without waiting for my reply, you post on WHT.

I said in our phone conversation that we don't have a refund policy, but should the need arise, we would see what we could do. I still stick by that comment. Before we write this thing off as a total loss, I'd like to try another server, possibly there is a hardware issue.
    Matthew Winship
    15 Minute Servers / Net Access Corp.
    www.15minuteservers.com
    www.nac.net

As for the other reply ( I am a computer engineer, I work with cutting edge technology/servers ( I work for the government/ I work in a testing environment / test new technology to see if it will meet business needs , fun job and I play with all the new equipment / hey I work for the government they virtually have no budget so I get all the latest and greastest stuff ) , so to say the least I know my stuff, I have managed dedicated servers in the past . Yes, I know a little crappy 12man server should be no problem on this box, as far as settings concerned it is running fedora core 3 (linux) nothing else is running just bare essentials so no problem there.
    Aren't you able to spot which part is causing the trouble? IO Wait (HDD), CPU, out of memory?

Haven't you tried with other games to see if it's something related to your installation of CS?

I believe the quickest way to get your cs server working is to fix the problem, but moaning here blaming them before leaving them time to help you isn't good in the long term.

I apologize for my actions. But this is what happened. I sent an email to support stating my situation. I recieved an email from support stating that I was stuck with this server for the length of my contract / no refunds. I did not find your email addy until 20mins ago to send you a email directly as well, I tried to call you directly with no luck. I would deal with your company again if I knew the hardware was right for the job. (Which in this case it should of been, but for some unknow reason it is not and I don't have the time to keep tring different solutions)

What ever the out come, I would like to clear some things up. This company has execellet customer service and support. Response time is amazing to emails / phone calls. I do apologize for my actions and I jumped the gun, but I could not track Matt down so I took what support told me.

thanks
    chunkd

Originally posted by NACmwinship
    I just noticed this post after I replied to your e-mail. I don't think it is fair that you send me an e-mail and not even 20 minutes later, and without waiting for my reply, you post on WHT.

I said in our phone conversation that we don't have a refund policy, but should the need arise, we would see what we could do. I still stick by that comment. Before we write this thing off as a total loss, I'd like to try another server, possibly there is a hardware issue.

I would take them up on their offer to switch you to a new machine. Most likely it is some sort of hardware/software issue which can happen.. But 2 small servers should run perfect on that machine.

Sorry but I have to go with NAC on this one, you sign up for a server and it doesn't meet your needs, that's your fault not NAC's.

You probably don't realise that they have very likely just bought another $600 of hardware, because you have taken part of their stock ... and now you want a refund?

Come on now be fair ...
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Just for the record, if anyone missed the customer's post above I gave him the refund because I said I would durring our phone conversation. He also posted some nice comments about our support.
    Matthew Winship
    15 Minute Servers / Net Access Corp.
    www.15minuteservers.com
    www.nac.net

I have to say 90% CPU usage from a 12 man CSsource server on a box like that is rediculous iv been using dedicated servers for years now and 1 box i had 1 16man cs source server 2 irc servers ( 1 client/hub with 1000 users another client server with 1000 users ) several large web pages phpbb forums sendmail about 30+ eggdrop bots and several bnc's never did the CPU go over 40% usage on a pentium 4 3GHz 1GB ram server , in your situation something must of been wrong with either your configuration or hardware itself and i would of took them up on there offer of changing out the server and tried to work with them to resolve the issue before even thinking about posting on here and demanding a refund , your actually lucky you got a refund.

Originally posted by chunkd
    Well I did read there TOS, that is why I called there customer service before I made an order. I stated, what if the server doesn't meet my needs? , I will know within the first couple of days ( once setup) . They advised me that we will get you setup and try it out and if in the first couple of days or so it doesn't meet your needs we issue a refund. Did they do this no, what it comes down to, is they want your money nothing else plain and simple. Either way I don't care I just hate being lied to, I wish we all had video phones so I knew what the guy looked like and go take care of business in a non-business fashion if you know what I mean , lol.

cheers
    chunkd

I am sorry but i don't believe that you are a computer engineer.  Not that it matters just me rambling. 
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

personally i would suspect some sort of disk problem or cache issue, as can happen with steam games, probably massive logging occuring which may have occured unfortunately around the time of a log rotate perhaps. check your hard-drive parameters ( hdparm /dev/hda by default ) make sure things are set correctly, if thats a HT machine you be far better off with a non-HT system if its just one or 2 game servers.

run 'top' and check the actual usage of CS versus the usage for system, iowait and idle-time. and of course to rule out hardware issues, run a default installation of CS first, then add any mods, custom settings.

This is directed at anyone with unusual resource hogging