A VPS designed to deal with 'slashdotting'

So a VPS gives you some share of a nice machine, with the ability to burst to use more of it if others aren't using the resources, and that seems like a good arrangement.

But in browsing around I haven't seen too much talk about what I really want a VPS to do -- handle a big spike, such as when a site is slashdotted or otherwise getting a day worth of heavy traffic.

Ideally you want to buy your VPS capacity to handle your average load including typical peaks, and you want everybody else on the system the same way. But if you do get a sudden spike, then you would want to be temporarily moved to a system that is mostly or entirely your own. And your neighbours on the VPS would like you moved there too. When the spike fades, you go back. If it doesn't fade after a moderate amount of time, you also go back, throttled and get told you might have to buy more capacity.

To my mind this would be better than a dedicated server on a slower machine such as the 2.4ghz celery that are common out there. Because if you buy one of those to deal with your typical traffic and peaks, no way it can handle the slashdotting.

So, any company do something like this?

When the spike fades, you go back. If it doesn't fade after a moderate amount of time, you also go back, throttled and get told you might have to buy more capacity
    Most respectable providers will do this.
    EuroVPS - Europe's Fully Managed Hosting
    Established 2004 - The European Hosting Authority

Do you mean you're looking for the Rapid Reflex approach for a VPS?

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Yes. something like rapid reflex is what I'm looking for (that seems to be for more ordinary shared hosting, not for a full root-access VPS from what I can see.) If all the major providers (I was thinking of using powervps) do this, I am surprised they don't promote it more.

I don't think all VPS providers regularily practice this and the purpose of moving your VPS over to a new host node would probably just be to lighten the load on the other. All VPS providers allow you burst except some start dampening your performance. PowerVPS doesn't practice this dampening which makes them a better chouce. LiquidWeb puts less VPSes per host node which is also great. I think a Power-2 from PowerVPS or a VPS2 from LiquidWeb will support your needs pretty well.

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by bradtem
    Yes. something like rapid reflex is what I'm looking for (that seems to be for more ordinary shared hosting, not for a full root-access VPS from what I can see.) If all the major providers (I was thinking of using powervps) do this, I am surprised they don't promote it more.
    IIRC, Virtuozzo doesn't support something like this as yet - but maybe something will eventually come to be added to it to allow for that functionality
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!