server auto reboot

i seem to remember a program that runs as a daemon on FreeBSD , that reboots the server when there is no ping replay or the server has stoped responding .... does this program really exist ?
    Last edited by barcode; 07-13-2005 at 06:42 PM.

I Think it's called SIM (Service Integrity Monitor).
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

http://www.rfxnetworks.com/sim.php

thats the link to SIM and it won't do exactly what you are looking at, if it's something external to the box you most likely need something that would perform a power cycle.

humm would SIM reboot my server if for example i misconfigured an ip alias to a nic and the server stoped responding ?

I use SIM Myself and as far as im aware it only reboots when a certain server load is reached:

These are the relevant sections for that:

Code:
    WARN_LD="10"                # max load value before status warning (5 minute load avg.)
    CRIT_LD="20"                # max load value before status critical (5 minute load avg.)
    GMSG="false"		    # send message to all users asking that they logoff for a short period
    And further down:

Code:
    RPP="false"	   # prioritize nonessential processes at load status warn or crit
                       # 3 values for RPP: warn, crit, or false

STSRV_LM="warn"	   # stop nonessential services at load status warn or crit
    		   # 3 values for STSRV_LM: warn, crit, or false

RST_LM="crit"      # reboot server at load status warn or crit
    		   # 3 values for RST_LM: warn, crit, or false
    Hopefully that will enlighten you a bit and help you decide.

You would actually need a device on your network that would power cycle the server or do a hard reset for what you are asking.

It's not sim it's called watchdog
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Coight is correct. You are looking for software watchdog. It works very well unless there is a complete system hang. It runs at a very low level so many kernel issues will not impact it. SIM, for example, could fail if cron stopped working.

Some motherboards have watchdog timers built in. These are very good as they operate at the hardware level and can handle most situations.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.