Copyright violation

I run a web hosting business. Today I received an email saying that one of the sites on my host is a duplicate of his site and this is violating copyright laws.

Normally, how is this handled?

I make them show proof that the design is indeed theirs and that it is indeed "stolen." If there is sufficent proof, I will terminate because I have it in my TOS. But the problem is, some will say stuff like that just to knock a competitor out.

Well, if it's an original template ask them to take screen shots of their psd's for it.

Also, if it turns out to be true immediately terminate. Hopefully you have something that covers it in your TOS.

Or even add; We reserve the right to edit the TOS without any notice.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Screenshots of a psd may not be proper proof for a suspension. Some templates, such as the ones at templatemonster are sold to 100+ different people. So if one has a .psd file, that doesn't always mean they're the sole owner of said template.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

I said if it was unique but yes the owner may not know better.

I am not sure how you would be able to resolve this..
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Enter the URLs for both sites in question at the Wayback Machine at www.archive.org. You should be able to determine which site had the design and content first. Then you'll know whether or not the accusation is valid.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by writespeak
    Enter the URLs for both sites in question at the Wayback Machine at www.archive.org. You should be able to determine which site had the design and content first. Then you'll know whether or not the accusation is valid.

Lois
    Yep this is one thing I do right away, check the wayback machine, you can also usually look at both sites and use your own judgement as to who is the ripper.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Greetings!

If I were in this situation, I would do the following:

1. Verify if the claim of a duplicate is correct.

2. Notify the owner of the website you are hosting about the situation. Give them an opportunity to defend themselves.

3. Get further proof of claims by investigating. The suggestion of a way-back machine is a great idea. You may also check the WHOIS record of their respective domains.

4. Consider what is meant by duplicate. If the design elements are duplicated, but the contents are different, it is most likely a template. I am not sure if some templates sold have corresponding PSDs distributed. At any rate, you can ask for a proof on PSD as well.

5. Most importantly, enforce your TOS without hesitation.

Take care and we wish you well!

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.