Can someone explain?

Can someone explain to me why reseller hosting plans are so expensive? like $19.99 for like 1000MBs? i mean comeon. One company called uh... onedollarhost.net was selling like uinlimited space for reseller hosting for $19 a month but then they said they charged $5 to setup the site... so can anyone recommend a reseller website that offers alot of Webspace?
    - Adam Case
    MyClanHost.Net
    For Gaming Clans and Personal
    And Business websites!

What are you looking for and what type of sites are you hosting? Are they resource intensive?

Why would you need to ask this question?
    You are a host (supposedly). Why would you have to ask the difference between paying a little more for quality and paying very little and getting crap?
    A real host wouldn't have to ask such questions.

Re: Can someone explain?

Originally posted by Domination
    Can someone explain to me why reseller hosting plans are so expensive? like $19.99 for like 1000MBs? i mean comeon. One company called uh... onedollarhost.net was selling like uinlimited space for reseller hosting for $19 a month but then they said they charged $5 to setup the site... so can anyone recommend a reseller website that offers alot of Webspace?
    Im not sure you will have any luck honoring that 99.9% uptime advertised on your site by buying the cheapest reseller package you can find.

Though, I encourage you to purchase a reseller package with everything unlimited and overselling enabled (though, not sure how you can oversell unlimited) for under $20/month. Just send me your webserver IP when you sign up and Ill add you to our 3rd party monitoring and inhouse monitoring solutions. If you get anything over 99% uptime for 3 straight months - Ill pay your hosting fees for those 3 months - if you dont hit your published 99.9% uptime guarantee - you refund your clients all hosting fees paid - sound like a fair deal?

**EDIT - condition of deal is that you must prove you have at least 5 paying customers
    Last edited by cartika-andrew; 07-13-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Originally posted by blue27
    Why would you need to ask this question?
    You are a host (supposedly). Why would you have to ask the difference between paying a little more for quality and paying very little and getting crap?
    A real host wouldn't have to ask such questions.
    You know, I run a webdesign firm. Hosting is just an option to our web design clients. I was trying to understand your needs to see if I can help find a solution for you.

Good luck.

Hey Blue27,

Sorry about that. I thought you were responding to me. Didn't know you were refering to the original posters message.

Disregard me post

I think it makes a lot of sense that reseller hosting would be more expensive for the company offering compared to a shared hosting plan. A reseller is buying chunks of storage and data transfer and can resell them to as many clients as he wants.

If a host offers a 4 GB shared hosting plan with 50 GB data transfer for $7.95/mo then the host has one customer to deal with for that space allocated on the server.

Assume the same host offers a reseller plan with 4 GB storage and 50 GB data transfer for $20/mo. The reseller then sets up shop as a web host and oversells that space and storage to 25 clients. Now the web host has 25 people using the same space as one customer would with a reseller plan. Trouble ticket requests go up by a factor of 25 as does the chance that some customer is going to load some script or mySQL dB that will bog down the server.

I would not trust a reseller plan that offers "unlimited" anything for only $20/mo.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by echazen
    Hey Blue27,

Sorry about that. I thought you were responding to me. Didn't know you were refering to the original posters message.

Disregard me post

No problem Jason.
    I should have quoted the original.