Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 99.9% Uptime?

99.9% Uptime?

Is it just me or is every hosting company offering 99.9% uptime? I mean I know some companys that keep to their word but i mean c'mon... whats with the 99.9%? .9? whats the deal! I think they just doit because if something happens to their servers they can say that it was the .1% downtime ... yeah nice gimmik!

*Reworded*
    - Adam Case
    MyClanHost.Net
    For Gaming Clans and Personal
    And Business websites!

Why would you make a topic like this when you offer it yourself?

Who are you scamming? Do you have proof that you have 99.9% uptime?

How can I prove it? There was a site that i saw someone use that showed uptime? anything?
    and like i said, I said i know some webhosting site that are true to their word!
    - Adam Case
    MyClanHost.Net
    And Business websites!

Well actually most hosts don't really have 99.9% uptime. But yes there are companies that have very good network and they offer 99.9%. There are companies who offer server monitoring. You can also monitor your server uptime.

Best Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

ah. thanks
    - Adam Case
    MyClanHost.Net
    And Business websites!

Originally posted by Domination
    How can I prove it? There was a site that i saw someone use that showed uptime? anything?
    and like i said, I said i know some webhosting site that are true to their word!

Wonderful, but how can you prove that you actually offer the 99.9% uptime that you guarantee yourself and why did you start a topic about it?

Is it just me or is every hosting company offering 99.9% uptime?
    Every company may offer it, but, unless they provide proof of consistently achieving this target, not sure how reliable their claim is (it may still be a valid claim, but, you just have no way of knowing)

As blue27 suggested, this is something you offer on your site as well - however, I wasnt able to find any verification on your site (BTW - your sitemap link is broken)
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Is it just me or is every hosting company offering 99.9% uptime?
    Last I looked, virtually no one was promising a 99.9% uptime, because it's not a thing that can be promised. Unimaginable things can and do happen.

However, virtually everyone was offering a type of compensation in case the uptime got under that level.

Your "Reliable 99.9 % uptime" promise will easily be put to the test as soon as something happens to the hardisk, or motherboard etc. and there are enough chances that you won't be able to put the server back online in under 43 minutes.

"Reliable 99.9 % uptime" promise
    I dont believe anyone offers a 99.9% uptime "promise"

However, there are several factors that affect the reliability of a 99.9% uptime guarantee - there are also various financial degrees of an uptime guarantee, which also affect the reliability of the guarantee.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

most companies are lies but some are true, dont like thing like this.

Well, take a look at his site. I failed to see that "Reliable 99.9% uptime" statement being explained anywhere on the site. Unexplained, it is (in my eyes at least) a promise, especially since it is being advertised as a "plan feature".

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Well, take a look at his site. I failed to see that "Reliable 99.9% uptime" statement being explained anywhere on the site. Unexplained, it is (in my eyes at least) a promise, especially since it is being advertised as a "plan feature".
    Dan, after re-reading your post - I now realize the contect in which you made your statement
    www.cartika.com

Originally posted by gxdesigns
    most companies are lies but some are true, dont like thing like this.

Do you think you could translate this for us?

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Last I looked, virtually no one was promising a 99.9% uptime
    Unfortunately, you are wrong. I have come across MANY hosts that say they have 99.9% uptime & are all serious about it.

99.9% uptime is not that hard to obtain. Try 99.99 or 99.999 or 99.9999% - and most hosts guarantee a certain uptime percentage...they don't promise it. That's two completely different things.

Its the difference between a pizza place saying 'we promise you'll love our pizza' or 'if you don't love our pizza we'll refund your money' .

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

99.9% uptime is not that hard to obtain. Try 99.99 or 99.999 or 99.9999%
    and 99.99% network uptime is completely different then 99.99% website availability
    www.cartika.com

I've seen a lot of hosting systems hit 99.9%, or even greater, for very long extended periods of time. I'm referring to hosting systems running random pieces of customer CGI code, too.

The price a hosting shop needs to pay to achieve what really is a marginal increase in uptime is simply outrageous, though.

Want 99.3%? Buy a Dell PowerEdge 1850. Want that additional 6.6999%? Better buy three of them, two redundant power supplies, a network load balancer, a shared storage back-end (of course, IT needs to be very highly available), a fully meshed network, and, and, and... (Edit: Some of the big software vendors that profess high availability require shops to go through qualification reviews of their hardware. ALL components must meet certain specifications or that SLA is null and void...)

Take a look at some of the SLA documents out there. What happens if a host misses 99.x% uptime for a month? Usually, the following:

99.0 - 99.8: 5% credit on your next month bill.
    95.1 - 98.9: 5.5 credit on your next bill.
    75.0- 95.0%: 6% credit. Amortized over your next three bills.

Anything below this is almost unheard of, unless a company is physically TRYING for downtime. This means that even if a CPU burns out, a disk blows, and a stupid admin trips over a network cable - the shop is still going to bring in 95% of expected revenue from all customers on a system, that is assuming that EVERY customer on the system realizes that they've gone down AND follows the correct refund-request filing process.

These outages, of course, don't include planned downtime and system maintenance.

Additionally, note that VERY rarely does a broken SLA result in actual refund. They're setup to be credit on a subsequent month's bill. You know, if you cancel, you'll never realize your due credit.

I'd rather give my money to a company advertising 100% uptime AND providing a realistic SLA than a company offering four nines and a contract full of loopholes.

In my personal opinion, it's a fairly ineffective selling point. Bullet points like that have become such the norm that their not very highly regarded. It would be like Ford explaining that their cars now come with all four wheels.
    Last edited by McJeff215; 07-14-2005 at 12:19 AM.

What i think of when i see 99.9% uptime is, the host will try their best to keep the server up as much as possible without any problems. That is what they should be doing anyways.
    Visit |█| ByteSizeHost |█| For all of your SSD Web hosting needs!
    ByteSizeHost. The Ryte Size. Owned and operated out of Dillon, CO, USA.
    Proud to be a member of the wonderful WebHostingTalk community.

Originally posted by Storagedump.com
    What i think of when i see 99.9% uptime is, the host will try their best to keep the server up as much as possible without any problems. That is what they should be doing anyways.
    What I've seen in my experience is that they'll put the same effort in on a 99% SLA as they will on a 99.999% SLA. The only core difference is whether or not they're willing to part with a small part of their revenue for a month should there be a situation. Like I said above, the amount collected on "refunds" is usually miniscule.

-Jeff

99.9% is actually pretty impossible to keep up if you the uptime percentage is counted monthly, but if counted yearly on the server it wouldnt be too hard to obtain a 99.9% as long as the server is running without any problems except for maintainences or network attacks.

As for the recording of the uptimes, many hosts do actually keep track of it, for example they can use a service like alertra or create a custom script for the job like we do. Though I'm sure many hosts donnot keep track of it and when asked to show proof about it they probably wont have anything to show.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

In actuality, if you sufficiently automate the patching systems, run a high quality NMS system, and take a proactive stance, it's very possible to maintain 99.9%. The vast majority of systems that I was responsible for back in my Sys. Admin. days were up 99.9% of the time, regardless of calculation method. Of course, you need to not count planned maintenance.

For instance, instead of waiting for a hard drive blow up, you watch for disk system alerts. Once you've got block reallocation or failed SCSI commands, you do a hard drive swap before it becomes a 2:00AM emergency. The swap itself only takes 10 minutes.

The problem is with hosting shops without competent systems administrators. If you've got a place that understands systems (and not simply hosting, there's is a big difference), you should be hitting SLA. Then, of course, there's the side that advertises it because others advertise it.

One thing hosts can do to prevent impact from hard disk failures is to use a RAID (www.raid.com) array with hotswap drives. That pretty much prevents all downtime from a hard disk failure and it also prevents data loss. Secondly, hosts can use Dual PSUs for redundancy. Additionally, hosts can oversell to a minimum to prevent the system from locking up due to load requiring a reboot. A host should also use FreeBSD with a good team of administrators to keep it hardened. You *can* achieve 99.9% uptime but, it's not smart to guarantee that to the customers, IMHO. It's better to not guarantee anything and not have an SLA, yet deliver better uptime than competitors that do have an SLA.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

In my experience the 99.9% uptime promise is a con.

Even if the host falls below 99.9% they pay out a tiny amount e.g if its down for 10 minutes below 99.9% then they will work that out as a percentage of your bill which is normall just a few cents .

Well the reason why you put 99.9% is because for some freak reason you might have your server go down for say 5 minutes or so and in that time you uptime isn't 100%. If you offer your customers 100% and they go on in that 5 minutes that your server goes down then they will be very unhappy with your service. So its best just to put 99.9% You could technically put 99.99999%, but thats not very pleasing to the eye. So putting 99.9% is best I think.
    Michael Bayazit
    Red Linux Hosting
    www.redlinuxhosting.com

Originally posted by CartikaHosting
    One of the community liasons here offers 99.8 and when you go under he offers 10% money back for each .1

I was pretty impressed - thinking about mimicing something like that
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast