Question colocation cross-connect pricing

Anyone have a reliable source for DS3/GigE x-connect pricing in the US? Trying to study trends.

ty
    over&out

Uhhh..... colocation cross connects are generally speaking, within the same building only.

If you're looking for DS3/Gig-E outside of a datacenter, it's a point-to-point DS3 or Gig-E loop.

This of course all varies depending on the origination and termination points - the pricing also varies within a datacenter according to similar metrics.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Thanks Sam.

Typically the circuit will be flat price if the POP is <mile from the particular data center. True on the many factors, just looking for general trending and maybe averages.

thx

If you're talking about cross-connecting for example a cage on one side of a datacenter, to a cage on another side of a datacenter. Id say a good estimated average is about $500/mo. for that.

Originally posted by JHosts
    If you're talking about cross-connecting for example a cage on one side of a datacenter, to a cage on another side of a datacenter. Id say a good estimated average is about $500/mo. for that.
    Again, where are the facts? Have you ever ordered a cross connect? In what facility? With what setup fees?

Telehouse for example charges a ONE-TIME VARIABLE FEE for all cross connect with NO RECURRING FEE.

Equinix charges both recurring and non-recurring fees, varying from 200-1000/mo depending on the TYPE of cross connect (ethernet, fiber, etc.), as well as the LENGTH and ACTUAL POINTS ITS GOING TO. This matters depending on how the facility is laid out and the actual size of it.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

I don't think there is a norm. The OP is on the right track in asking, unfortunately the question is going to have to be asked to each provider you are looking at. I have seen people throw out cheap rack prices, then charge $400 per month, $900 install for a Coax cross-connect. So much for the cheap cabinet.

This is what many refer to as a "hidden cost" or "gotcha" with several providers. They hope that by the time you get your first bill and see that charge it will be too costly for you to move. There are even a few that charge both customers for a single cross-connect. If you need a fiber CC from your cab to Internap, both would have to pay a cross-connect fee.

Others have opted for a one-time fee or a reasonable pricing schedule on monthly fees. If you are just looking for a cabinet and 10Mbps CCs probably wont matter much for your business. If your business requires multiple connections then you have to ask the provider for the rates, both install and monthly. Make sure to get those rates in your contract. Some will try to price it high enough that it is just cheaper to use them for the service.

Since it is important to you it might be best to ask each provider directly. As with any contract, read it. If you have questions get them clarified. Your on the right track.
    Looking for next opportunity

Originally posted by SMachiz
    Again, where are the facts? Have you ever ordered a cross connect? In what facility? With what setup fees?

Telehouse for example charges a ONE-TIME VARIABLE FEE for all cross connect with NO RECURRING FEE.

Equinix charges both recurring and non-recurring fees, varying from 200-1000/mo depending on the TYPE of cross connect (ethernet, fiber, etc.), as well as the LENGTH and ACTUAL POINTS ITS GOING TO. This matters depending on how the facility is laid out and the actual size of it.

Sam
    I gave a general price as I specifically stated. I'm beginning to think your attacks against me are just personal and targetting me, and frankly Im getting sick of it. I dont know what you have against me but it really needs to stop, it's rather childish.

I gave a general price as I specifically stated. I'm beginning to think your attacks against me are just personal and targetting me, and frankly Im getting sick of it. I dont know what you have against me but it really needs to stop, it's rather childish.
    Think before you post those things, Sam is only stating what everyone sees in your posts. Those of us who actually have experience in these things are better fit to provide the answers rather than you providing "general prices" what exactly are these general prices based upon, thin air?

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    Think before you post those things, Sam is only stating what everyone sees in your posts. Those of us who actually have experience in these things are better fit to provide the answers rather than you providing "general prices" what exactly are these general prices based upon, thin air?
    Prices we've received for places like Equinix.

I don’t think you want to enter into a war of words with Sam… you’ll lose. He’s one of the most well spoken members of WHT. Plus he also has much more experience in this field, and a very good point. You were shooting out an estimate with no (apparent) facts. Don’t pick a fight with him, instead just provide the facts, or retract your statement. Either choice will help the original poster more than an argument about nothing will.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

I don't believe Sam is attacking you personally. He's absolutely correct. Be careful when you're stating indirectly aquired knowledge as fact. Sam and others here have direct experience.

On many occasions, I (and I imagine others here) have wanted to say the same thing that Sam has said in response to your posts... he just got to the point more quickly. The person being "childish" is certainly not Sam
    Last edited by bqinternet; 07-14-2005 at 02:25 AM.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

JHosts,

Thanks for the reply. My client provided some guidance in line with your average. They are an RBOC directly competing with non-reg colos. Some of the nonregs are offering DS3 flat rate & distance insensitive $500/month. Good call. Not exactly sure how they're recouping that, but the RBOC is bleeding customers.

Anyhow, the point of my post was to see if there was a site somewhere that tracked pricing. Still no luck there.

Thx

One time cross connect fees is very unusual. So far I have only heard Telehouse doing this. But in general, I would have to agree, be ready to pay for $200-$800/month for cross connect fees in carrier neutral building. At least those are the quotes we have received so far.

I don't see anything wrong with what JHosts is saying. Again, Telehouse is an exception.

And BTW Sam, our cross connects with Equinix is the same, no matter what the media is. Lucky us!
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

I have seen anywhere from $100/month up to $300/month for a fiber cross-connect in carrier-neutral facilities. Recently I have been quoted $100/month, $150/month, and $300/month on fiber cross-connects in three local carrier-neutral facilties. This, of course, assumes an IP POP in the building from the provider you choose to connect to. CAT5/CAT6 (100Mbit) cross-connects are about 50-75% of the price of a fiber cross-connect in most facilities (though Equinix appears to charge equally high rates for CAT5 and fiber.)

HTH.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!