The best game in the history of best games

-------------------------------------THEME HOSPITAL!! ----------------------------

What a great game. Last night I was bored and thought - what game could I buy which is an absolute classic legend, cheap and very cheerful.
    Then I realised - Theme Hospital!
    and whats more...it only cost me 4.99 which I consider to be a bargain for such a game! - So, out came the debit card straight away and this morning I got an email saying it had been dispatched and would arrive first class. (Tommorrow!)

What are the best software bargains you've ever had?

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

yeah, when i got it it entertained me for quite a while;b ut after a while you know, i dunno its just not as fun
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Lord
    yeah, when i got it it entertained me for quite a while;b ut after a while you know, i dunno its just not as fun
    Give it a break for a month and then go back to it - it'll all gain its excitement again
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Yeah man, back in the day Theme Hospital was amazing.

Educational too, if you ever encounter someone with a Bloated Head, you'll know all you need is a pin to pop it.

I remember playing that way back! Used to be one of my favourites, now I wouldn't even consider playing it tho!

Diablo and Quake are both games I have very fond memories of.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Eamon. I used to love Eamon
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Definately Diablo.

A golden favorite for many people I know is Duke Nukem 3D. I remember a group of about 20 or so friends who would have 1 on 1 matches all the time. We all had our fathers involved before long

I know I'll probably get flack for this, but Total Annihilation + The Core Contingency is IMHO the best game (well game and addon technically) ever released. It was the first true RTS that was based on actual 3d physics, had something like 350 unique units, though only two "sides".

Multiplayer was incredible, unlike the majority of other RTS's that only had a few of each unit types, this had dozens of each sort, making for incredible strategy. The game got completely over-shadowed by starcraft, and never became seriously popular, eventually cavedog went bust, and the rights have apparently been sold off since I believe, still a fun game, if only there were still a place to play it (their battlenet equivalent tanked with the company).

Donkey Kong for SNES. Man i used to spend hours on that game.

Sim City is good, but after doing economics, the game seems too cheesy...
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Best Classics for PC - Starcraft and CS

Best classics for consoles - Super metriod, Mario (of course), Chrono trigger.

hehe.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Ah the SNES, if i only still had one.

I think Wacraft 3 is pure gold, it can keep me entertained forever.

Paratrooper
    Tetris
    Oregon Trail (In grade school when we were supposed to be working)
    Wolfenstein (Original)
    Duke 3D
    Warcraft II
    Contra

Command and Conquer
    Command and Conquer red alert
    Theme hospital
    Age of empires 2 the conquerors

Current: Battlefield 2

Jeff
    Xoopiter.com:: The new standard in Web Hosting

I regret that my workplace got rid of the old 386 with DOS 5.0. During lulls, Gorillas.bas was a terrific time-waster. If it got boring you could change the gravity setting.
    I could never get the program to work properly in DOS in Windows.

i like it that half of your 'classics' are either still available in the shops, or only 2-3 years old!

theme hospital is a classic, civilisation is a classic, even buzz aldrins race into space and shadow president might be thought of as classics!

but cmon, halflife (released at the end of 2001 and still v.v. popular), a classic?

i think some of my favourite past games are transport tycoon, railroad tycoon, zak mckraken and theme park

Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time for N64 and Final Fantasy X for Playstation 2 are probably my all time favourites...

Tribes 1 is probably the game I've played the most, and enjoyed the most, in the last 5 to 6 years.
    Originally posted by Xoopiter-Jeff
    . . . Current: Battlefield 2
    Yes indeed. Just bought it last week, and am still practicing on the offline maps. Have played BF1942 a lot and BFV a little.

My wife just shakes her head, when I'm playing Battlefield. She tells her friends that I'm working it out of my system, but some of her friend's husbands play too, so I'm in good company.

AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

ive just got it too.. didnt really play bf1942 and had to buy a new gfx card to play it (most expensive game ive ever bought!). didnt really like it at first - the interface is a bit slow/clunky at times which may or may not be related to my broadband but im slowly warming up to it. the ranking system is pretty cool too

I remember when Chuckie Egg was about Found it about a month ago for the PC. That was my favourite game from the 80's

http://www.chuckie-egg.org/article.php3?story_id=35

I like SimCity, Theme Park, Doom, Wolfenstein was pretty cool as well as Blake Stone??

When I worked in a shop C+C and Red Alert sold very well.

Worms was pretty good too!

Edit: Forgot to mention the SNES version of Street Figher 2, F-Zero, Mario, Zelda and Uni Rally which were all great.

Golden Axe on the MegaDrive (Genesis) as well as LOADS that I cant remember off the top of my head.
    -- Matthew

'Classics' are games that are timeless. When they're released is really rather irrelevant. If I start talking about HL in 10 years, people will know what I'm talking about and remember it. That's what makes it a classic, not that it's old (and your release date is way off, it's coming up on it's 7th anniversary, released November 1998, which is rather old for a computer game). That it's still popular and being played drives the point straight home -- I can't think of any other game that is or was still popular 7 years after release.

If you want some old school classics, how 'bout Masters of Orion, Pirates, Castle, HHGTTG for some PC love...but only perhaps MOO stacks up to the other three I mentioned IMO.

Oh, and add to my original list Chrono Trigger and the SNES Zelda. RPGs deserve love too, I spent enough of my life on them heh.

Counter-strike. still #1

Duke Nuken was AWESOME.

Some of my favourite/fondest memories.....

Legend of Zelda N64 (first one)
    1080 Snowboarding
    Wave Race
    Mario Cart (snes)
    Mario world (snes)
    WCW vs NWO revenge (N64)

Civilization 2. Couldn't even begin to describe how many hours I pissed away at that game.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time is up there as one of my faves. And Donkey Kong Country amazed me for the SNES. Kept that system alive another 3-5 years in my book.

And CounterStrike is a timeless classic in my book.
    Last edited by derek.bodner; 07-14-2005 at 12:54 PM.

"QUAKE 1" - that's all there is to it!
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

I remember my monster machine back in the day

386sx 16mhz
    8 meg ram
    120mb drive
    245k video!

I loved to play Castles and F19 Stealth Fighter, great games

Originally posted by porcupine
    I know I'll probably get flack for this, but Total Annihilation + The Core Contingency is IMHO the best game (well game and addon technically) ever released. It was the first true RTS that was based on actual 3d physics, had something like 350 unique units, though only two "sides".

Multiplayer was incredible, unlike the majority of other RTS's that only had a few of each unit types, this had dozens of each sort, making for incredible strategy. The game got completely over-shadowed by starcraft, and never became seriously popular, eventually cavedog went bust, and the rights have apparently been sold off since I believe, still a fun game, if only there were still a place to play it (their battlenet equivalent tanked with the company).

BEST GAME EVER! Used to play with some friends online, doing massive maps, with 1 hour build times, then having a massive war. Games lasting 6-10 hours long. Mmmmm Yummy!

Plenty of addons for that game. If you are ever bored one nite and want to play, hit me up.

For me TA, Diablo I & II + Expansions, Age of Empires, War Craft II + Expansion Tides of Darkness were my main favorites. Descent wasnt that bad either (older DOS game) & Doom II & Duke were fun.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

The original Hero's Quest on my old Tandy was fun. Nowadays, I get absorbed by Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Re: The best game in the history of best games

Originally posted by effusionx1
    -------------------------------------THEME HOSPITAL!! ----------------------------
    I completely agree. And multiplayer just adds more fun to it. Never anyone to play multiplayer with though.

For me, the best game ever is the original Unreal Tournament. It has excellent game play and physics. The map designs are very well thought out, and all of the weapons are designed to be equally powerful if you know how to use them. There is no extra bling or unnecessary junk. I started playing it online about 5 years ago, and it still has a strong following. The best online FPS in my opinion.

I have never heard of theme hospital...Ill have to check it out.