How Many DomainsOff 1 Windows Server With 1 Ip?

I am setting up a windows server with 3.2 ghz intel p4 processor... 2 gb ram... and a 250 gb hd all on 1 server. I am guessing I have 1 ip. How Many domains can I give out. Also, how do i set up .com/.org etc. domain names... do i have to puirchase and forward them from sites like godaddy.com?
    Thanks
    Billy

With host headers you can really do unlimited domains with that single IP. However, the limiting factor will be how high of traffic the server has on a total basis and what coding is used within the sites. for exmaple, ASP or .NET sites will require more CPU cycles than plain HTML sites. One high traffic website can easily consume all server resources. On average only a small percentage will use the majority of resources. That being said it wouldnt be unreasonable to host 300 domains from that server.

As far as purchasing, yes, of cource you would have to purchase domains in order for them to work or your client/customers could do the same. The domains would be pointed to DNS servers which are then set to resolve your server IP address.

Thanks alot, do you recomend I use a windows or linux server to start off... and do I have to be worried about my clients sueing me for any reason

Thanks
    Billy

If I use windows do u recomend I set up something like cpanel for my users.... say a user buys a months hosting off my site using paypal would i then just email them and give them ftp info?
    Bily

What OS to use depends on what skills you have as an administrator, what programming you like to do, and what market you are targeting (linux and windows are completely different markets). Unless you have experince being an admin of a server i would highly recommend hiring a professional administrator becuase you will get into trouble quickly if things are not setup right.

There are always legal issues when you go into business and you can be sued that's for sure. Protect yourself by forming an Inc or LLC and get business insurance. Make sure you have a lawyer look over or develop a TOS for your company.

A control panel is a must if you are targeting the web hosting market at large. It's not so important for customers if you are managing the entire website such as for local customers. It really just depends on what your target market is and what those customers demand.

host a

Million Billion sites and handle everything personally via email. If you have a job make sure you bring your server with you in case there's a problem while you're at work.
    -- My software isn't buggy; it develops random features --

I sure hope you don't plan on "hosting" this server off your home connection...