View Poll Results: What would you consider the main reasons why customers decide to change hosts?

62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Downtime

20 32.26%
  • Better Deal Elsewhere

9 14.52%
  • Poor Support

21 33.87%
  • Unprofesional behaviour (suspended site etc)

4 6.45%
  • Lack of upgrade options

1 1.61%
  • Want to change OS or CP

1 1.61%
  • Other

6 9.68%

Survey: Reasons for leaving hosting companies

What would you consider the main reasons why customers decide to move to a different webhosting company?

C'mon people vote

I plan to publish this survey and a number of others if I get sufficient feedback. Which means that hosts can use it as secondary research in the market research part of their business plan.

Woking, England
    I've mainly left people in the past due to downtime and some for bad support.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

In the past;

bad support

Those are the 2 main ones for most people.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

I left my last host ( I had a reseller account with them) due to bad support and questionable practices. Also downtime was a part of the equation. They were down for three days. The reseller account was a $19.95 a month unlimited disk space, unlimited features, unlimited domain accounts on a cPanel/WHM interface. The original owner sold the business and then the business that took over started to play games. First I had a problem with the disk space. They limited the amount I could use to 1 gig at my base account. Then the server started having problems and they crashed big time and lost my data. Good thing I had a backup myself. That was the last straw and got my own dedicated server with cPanel installed and haven't looked back since.

I find it odd that all of your reasons are negative. We have had a few customers cancel our services because they simply no longer needed their website. Perhaps they were doing a test project that they needed a site online for 6 - 12 months.

I realize the normal cancellations are from unhappy customers, I just thought I would point it out though., a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

So many hosting companies are mushrooming everyday and leaving their customer hanging as they either close or sale out their business due to different reason.

Secondly, I don’t think the customer usually leave a host due to fall in uptime only as it might be rarely while the deceiving price and false advertisement may be also one reason that the customers usually think to leave the host.

I also agree with the point of VanHost, that perhaps they might be doing a test project and no longer need it after completion of their project.

Minneapolis, MN
    The majority of our cancellations come from people who simply no longer need their website, or they are upgrading to their own server.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

None of my customers have canceled yet, but from what I see here and on other forums, most of them leave because of poor support.
    MaxterHostsimply different.
    cPanel Shared Hosting, WHM Reseller Accounts, Xen VPS Hosting & more
    10+ Years of Experience | Enhanced Security | 24x7 Support | 99.99% Uptime
    Pure SSD Hosting and CloudFlare Railgun™

Atlanta, GA
    Most commonly they go to other "companies" that are run by friends and are letting them host for free
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Charlotte, NC
    In my own experience, I've left one host due to downtime, one host due to poor support and a buggy control panel (in-house), and one host due to the fact that I outgrew my $5/month account and needed a dedicated server.

* hmmm....

Very poor support and downtime. When i wanted to move and change they wouldnt let me. They kept my domain from me. It was rediculous.

Now i have my own company. Its much

Costa Rica

I think for me a bad support service is the main reason to leave a host. Too many downtime is very bad too, but if they give my good support, I could foregive them .

Andrés Chávez
    All in Hosting - Web hosting in spanish
    *Shared hosting - Reseller plans - Managed VPS*

Colorado, USA
    Poor support was my reason to leave before I had my own reseller account (and now own server).

Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

I will leave if it has poor downtime. I have been lucky with support so far, every single host I have had has been great.

Duluth, MN
    I've only left two hosts myself and here are the reasons:

* Windows Host (I wanted to switch to Linux)
    * Boor Billing -- cancelled things and continued to get billed for them for months after. I alarted them and got a refund each time but it kept happening dispite their repeated promise to fix it.
    * Flexibility: features/cost -- I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth.
    * Slow support
    * Downtime
    * No SSH access
    * Complex and buggy control panel (in house)
    Tim Ryberg, InterWorx L.L.C. | InterWorx Hosting Control Panel 3.0!
    Views expressed are the author's own and do not represent those of InterWorx L.L.C. unless stated otherwise.
    Join me in my personal quest for The Ultimate CMS!