How many hosting clients on your dedicated server?

Hi,

As research for the future, I'm interested to know what specification dedicated server people have, and roughly how many hosting clients do you have on the server.

I'm hoping to gather some information about roughly how many clients a dedicated server can take under normal account use.

I know there are lots of factors involved in determining the max number of clients a dedicated server can cope with, but I'm only after an average.

I'm sure it'll help me determine what specification server will provide best value for money based on the number of clients it should be able to cope with without hindering performance.

Thanks

I have around 8 dedicated servers now and am hosting 1 (one) client on them, myself.

I have around 8 dedicated servers now and am hosting 1 (one) client on them, myself.
    That is good answer
    You can host 1 site at 8 dedicated servers
    or you can host more than 1000 mini web sites on one server

Everything is relative.

For example I have one server with 722 domains on it (dual p3 - rock solid).

Load is never more then 0.75+ or so.

But all this are business web's - small amount of visitors and mostly email traffic.

This 722 domains use only around 20 GB of space or so

All our dual xeons servers have around 150-250 domains - never more.

Anyway, on our dual opterons we even have only ONE domain - all depens on many factors.

Actually, I dont really think there is a GOOD replay on your question

N.

Re: How many hosting clients on your dedicated server?

Originally posted by littlened

I know there are lots of factors involved in determining the max number of clients a dedicated server can cope with, but I'm only after an average.
    I dont think you fully understand the extent to which this can vary.

don't worry, I do fully understand.

i.e.

size the the pages being viewed
    are the pages html/php
    is a database used
    how many images are involved
    how big are the images
    how much traffic the domain gets

these are just a few things I can think of, but there are loads more factors involved.

I usually do between one and one thousand, depending on the load of the sites
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

what do you do it you have 1 person on your server, using 50mb of space, 5gb bandwidth but almost all of the CPU due to scripts? Do you keep just them on that server or recommend they get a VPS/dedicated server?

If the customer is very valuable to you you will help him clean up his scripts so they don't do that. If they just HAVE to use up that kind of resources you request him to go dedicated.
    High Quality Low Cost Hosting For all of your hosting needs. Windows and Linux Dedicated, VPS And Shared!
    http://kaveyhosting.com

Originally posted by littlened
    what do you do it you have 1 person on your server, using 50mb of space, 5gb bandwidth but almost all of the CPU due to scripts? Do you keep just them on that server or recommend they get a VPS/dedicated server?
    That's a bad one

Every host nightmare

Well, all depens on what u doin. For example we never turn down the client even if he use fare more CPU then others, we move him to server where we can give him more resources.

After all he us using what u have advertise.

N.