Sending more email now

I run a wholesale website. I have collected email addresses from clients & contacts for 6 years now.

I have been emailing them specials & updates. I have several thousand clients, members & contacts email addresses.

Are there datacenters, hosting companies that are easier to deal with regarding email complaints?

Even though these are my contacts, there are times I get a complaint or 2.

Where should I look for hosting?

I use unsubscribe links & honor all remove requests--

Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob

What do you mean by easier to deal with regarding email complaints?

Are you saying that your current host gets complaints from people you send e-mails to and then they give you a hard time and you are looking for a host that won't bug you about the e-mails you send out?

I think all the good ones will have to investigate claims of spam so you might have a hard time finding one that just lets you send out e-mails even if they are legit. They're worried about the liability of it and it's difficult to differentiate spammers from people sending specials to clients they've collected over the years.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Are you collecting/saving these email addresses without specifically getting permission to send commercial offers to them at a later date?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

AH-Tina - They give me or sign up in order to get my email specials
    Bob

Who and why are they sending in complaints if they asked you to send them information via email? I would be upset if someone opt'd in to my mailing list and then when I sent them an email they sent in a spam complain.. Or maybe they did not know they were going to be getting emails for "sales" when they signed up for whatever service you provided 6 years ago.

There is so much spam it is hard to tell the real stuff from the junk. Maybe the best thing is on huge lists is to send out a mailing once every 6 months and require the people to Opt-in (continue) to be part of the mailing and if they do not respond remove them from the list. This would stop the complaints because your list would be much smaller but also the people would know who you are??

Just a thought.

Robert

Who and why are they sending in complaints if they asked you to send them information via email?
    When you have thousands of emails collected over a period of 6 years, there's always a chance that a few subscribers have forgot they opted in. What the OP requires is a host that takes a deep look at things before labeling emails as spam, and the OP as a spammer.

Quite a few hosts should be able to help you out.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

I see so many people who add everyone who contacts them to their mailing list...figuring it is acceptable. If these people *really* want to be added to your list, tell them to sign up via double-opt-in mailing list. That is, they sign up...an email is sent telling them "if you REALLY want to join this list, click here". No host in their right mind would have a problem with that.

On the other hand, if you're just assuming your contacts would also like to receive your mailings...that's not right.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Who and why are they sending in complaints if they asked you to send them information via email?

Tina thank you that was kind of my point on my question but you have a much better way of explaining things than I do.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I and others have tried "double optin" a year later, and we retain 15%-20% . Yet the ones who do not double optin, complain "where are my email specials?"
    (I get flooded with the why are we removed question)

A wife signs up, a husband complains (with a shared account)

A partner in business signs up & their biz partner complains

I have done this for 6 years and it is crazy, they do not reply to the double optin every 6 months, yet they complain, "why did you remove me."

Theory is great, but real life is reality

Thanks for the replies, but rather than answering my request for tolerant hosting, you are second guessing my subscribers reasons for what they do & don't do.

I don't know why people do what they do, it makes little sense to me why-

Any input on my original question?

Thanks!
    Bob

ldcdc - Well said!

Tina - I stated that these are folks who have asked for specials via email, so what others do does not apply to my question/request. Still looking for answers

BTW, I have emailed regularly to my list for the past 6 years, not saved emails for 6 years and started up mailing. I have added & removed weekly, and mailed at least once per week. I have 3000 items in 100 categories, so the emails vary with different type of goods. Others in my market mail out 3-5 times per week with different offerings.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob

Bob you are probably correct with what you are saying on the double opt-in situation. I wanted to post to apologize for not making a contribution to your question.. I think I was more trying to solve an issue that you obviously have already are on top of. Sometimes I think my wisdom is golden and it is more like fools-gold

Good luck on your search I am sure something will turn up there are many great hosts.

Again sorry for the trouble.

Robert

some dc's it takes several complaints to generate a aup violation. Since you are active in removal requests and let people unsubscribe via the email i wouldnt worry much.

I've had people signup and within days claim they didnt and say i spammed. idiots.

Originally posted by Bohica
    Quite a few hosts should be able to help you out.

What is the purpose of this reply other than to get our signature noticed?
    Do you have recommendations?

Hi Robert, Thanks - no harm done!

Hi 3rdcoast - I agree, they can be real jerks, and they get listened too, not you & I
    Bob

There seems to be a lot of nit-picking going on here--

Is this normal?

I'm still looking for some answers & suggestions to my original post.

Any replies to my questions of hosting, I thought this was called
    WebHostingTalk.com ? I'm looking for Talk on Web Hosting...

Any takers?
    Bob

Layered tech and ev1 are good, ev1 has really improved the way abuse handles complaints.

Re: Sending more email now

I realize you're asking for recommendations of hosting companies that will not hassle a person with a large legitimate mailing list.

The direct answer to that question is that there are companies who specialize in this (sending the emails under your domain from their servers) but they will charge you depending on how many emails you send out. Like 1 cent for every 5 emails, for example. Most of these are companies who lease servers from the same big companies you can lease your own server from -- or get webhosting from. Basically, they are just handling the complaints and dealing with your upstream providers for you. Sort of the way a debt counselor works. You don't host your site with them, only your email or just your newsletter goes through them. Example companies - emailheads.net, ezinemanager.com, and a lot of "portal" sites that offer free chat rooms, newsletters services, etc. for free or ad based...

Then there are small hosting companies, and resellers, who'll tell you that you will be fine with them, but will come back at you once the large hosting company they are leasing their server from, or reselling for, starts getting complaints.

All the large hosting companies and ISPs pretty much handle this issue the same way. The one major thing you need to consider (for webhosting) is whether they throttle or limit how much mail you can send out over a given period of time. For instance, 1and1 Hosting has a .99 per month email only account, but then say "you can send up to 99 emails at once." They don't specify the time period. So, whatever place you choose, that is a question you'll need to ask.

That said, most everything else really depends on you, and not the hosting company you select. Here are some things they do -- and some things you can do -- that can make a huge difference.

Where the complaints are coming from -- and going to -- is critical. If a person complains to their ISP, and their ISP complains to your hosting company, that is the worse case scenario. For example, AOL members only need to click a "report spam" link in their email, and the complaint goes to AOL, who (after a certain number of complaints) will either complain to your hosting company, or simply block a range of IPs belonging to the company where your site is hosted. Whether your list is legit or not, they'll usually give you one warning and bump you the next time. Because a block will affect a lot of other customers and not just you.

If the person getting the email complains directly to your hosting company, they'll see that it's an opt-in list and ignore the complaint unless it starts getting out of hand.

Here are some things YOU can do to minimize risk.

- Use software that throttles how many messages you send out per hour. You impact the server less (fly under the radar), which matters if you select shared hosting. Also, the complaints that do come in will be more spread out. It's better to send 10,000 emails over five days, and get 4 complaints over five days, than send (or try to send) 10,000 in a few hours and trip off automatic software that moniters complaints, and server loads, over a given period of time.

- Use software that automatically handles (or allows you to handle) bounce backs. Sometimes, administrators will look at this to determine if you really are maintaining your mailing list and if it is legit.

- Use double opt-in. And in all your mailings, START and END the email with a note that says this email was added to your list by the subscriber -- with a link to unsubscribe at the TOP and BOTTOM of the email. Clicking this link should unsubcribe them right away, not send them to your website to unsubscribe, or send them another email to let them know they've unsubscribed.

- Use software that personalizes the email, like their name and the date they opted in, to further prove (or remind them) that they opted in.

- When you do find a hosting company, ask if you can speak with the security admin and give them a heads up, so they know right off you're legit. In most cases, they will not let you speak directly with this person, so send an email to abuse yourself -- from the domain you'll be sending emails from -- and introduce yourself and explain that you have a large list, it's legit, and you'll be on top of any complaints they forward to you.

Hope my "dissertation" helped.

I forgot to add, I am looking for mailing software that does what I described at the end of my email above. That's how I came across this thread. So, if anyone knows of any, please post. Inexpensive and not too complex to set up or use would be good.

Also, as I partly alluded to before. You can send only your email or newsletter to another server or host without having to move your entire site. You can register a subdomain of your domain, like newsletter.domain.com and just have that hosted at discount hosting company.

Holy cow, vikvaliant. I hope you stick around for awhile and become a very active WHTer.

--Tina

12all, is the solution i found, it personalizes and handles bounces very well. If you have a list that is over 30k, you need to break it up into seperate lists. But I like how i can schedule the lists to send when i want.

For small lists like up to 5k emails PHP List works just fine.

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Holy cow, vikvaliant. I hope you stick around for awhile and become a very active WHTer.

--Tina
    Thanks Tina, I guess I got a little long winded because I used to handle spam complaints for an ISP. That's why I mentioned putting that information at the beginning of the email that's sent out. Because we never used email programs that show all the pretty HTML. We logged on to a server that had all the complaints and used Pine -- all text based -- and a script that parsed the headers. We were pretty much after the headers to see what ISP the email originated from. But we'd also look at the first couple lines of the email to confirm it as spam.

Originally posted by 3rdcoast
    12all, is the solution i found, it personalizes and handles bounces very well. If you have a list that is over 30k, you need to break it up into seperate lists. But I like how i can schedule the lists to send when i want.

For small lists like up to 5k emails PHP List works just fine.
    Thanks! phplist is EXACLY what I was looking for! And a great price too!