Mac or Windows or Linux or ?? (Attached: Desktop)

Hello everybody,

Well today I realized that I were about my choice when it comes to PC OS. Though that doesn't matter, as what matters is what I like.

Well, for the past three years I have had a WindowsXP PC based on P4 (1GB RAM, 200 GB HDD), and for more than two years I have been using different Mac themes and add ons. And I have also downloaded and tried almost all major Linux Distros.

While I like they Windows works, I like the look and feel of a Mac. But I can not risk purchasing a Mac for many obvious reasons (reasons that might not be obvious in US or Europe). And there are still some unresolved issues with Linux (from my point of view and usability and requirements) so I dare not use it as a OS on my PC.

So, I guess I am a Mac fan who prefers to use Windows and likes Linux

Hae, what about you guys??
    Windows or Mac or Linux?? and Why??

edit: attached my favorite desktop (March this year). I'd love to see yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails desktop of march.jpg  
    Last edited by experiencedwriter; 07-13-2005 at 04:08 AM.
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information

For browsing the web I mostly use linux, since it's less vulnerable to viruses and spyware. For other things I'll usually use Windows. Windows has more useful programs that are generally more user friendly (but costly), and manufacturer-supplied printer drivers with more features. If I want to share files between home and work, there is no substitute for MS Word. If it's just rich format text, Word and Open Office can swap files. If there are graphics, each will disarrange the other's files.

On my laptop I have MEPIS 2004.1 and on my desktop computer I have SuSE 8.2. The choice is largely affected by compatible drivers for my sound and video. Both have Windows XP Home SP2. On the five year old desktop that is an upgrade from Windows 98SE.

I use mostly Linux--by personal choice--when surfing the web, checking email, etc. At work, I'm 50% Mac (powerbook). I also have an XP machine at home. Each machine serves a purpose..

Really, the key is figuring out what you do most and choosing an OS based on that alone.

Best of luck!

12 downloads but no coments on my desktop..
    that screeny was taken after one-two hour after a format so I was changing and adding the icons and stuff.
    Object bar is down and hidden.

I play games on Windows, and nothing else, I -work- on Linux, I can't spend time worrying "ooh is this email the one with that wizbang new virus that will completely penetrate all my defenses?" or "is this url I'm about to click the one with some new popup/malware/spyware/adware/virus that will blow by my settings and screw me up?" I have too much work to do to spend hours cleaning up spyware or malware or "scanning for viruses" to use Windows to "work" on.

As for screenshots of desktops, who cares, I'm not an interior decorator, I'm a sysadmin, show me where to click to launch email, irc, SSH, my web browser and .. well that's about all I need to know to -work- All the pretty backgrounds and "cool icon sets" in the world won't do diddly jack for me when I'm trying to answer email or read tickets or solve problems in irc, etc. But KDE's tabbed "shell" (konsole) is something I can't live without
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Hie Gary

you sound so much like a die hard "LinuxOholic" Thats what I love about Linux users, though they know that they are a bit behind XP they'll talk about *wares and security threats to show how good Linux is. And when I come to think about it.. I have 4 levels of security check on my system running XP - SP2, and my computer spends atleast 1 - 1.5 hours of its free time daily in running virus and *wares check!! While I have never worried about that with any of the Linux Distros that I have tried. KDE and Knoppix are my favourite Distros (But I live without them ) Currently i am trying Morphix but it wont detect my cordless mouse, so I am waiting for Knoppix 4.0 to be released.

And hae, I spend a lot of my free time in making my computer look a better place to work. And it's so good that most Window users find difficult to get used to it (its like Mac)

Ugh. I hate when people using Windows makes their GUI looks like Mac OS. What purpose? Mac OS isn't for looks, it's for reliable, stability and performance. That's like being too cheap to get a real female hooker, so you get a shemale, sure she *looks* like a female, but she *doesn't* perform/operate like one!

Ummm, ... a lot of people buy Mac's because of the look and feel of the hardware and software, particularly (and probably mostly) when their Mac is used for personal use.

Originally posted by Rob83
    Ugh. I hate when people using Windows makes their GUI looks like Mac OS. What purpose? Mac OS isn't for looks, it's for reliable, stability and performance. That's like being too cheap to get a real female hooker, so you get a shemale, sure she *looks* like a female, but she *doesn't* perform/operate like one!
    Hello Rob83, I respect your opinion but I differ from you when you say that Macs are purchased only for reliability, performance and stability, My mom had a Mac and trust me it wasn't 100% in any of those aspects.

I can't post links to polls and other stuf here but if YOu Google a little you'll find loads of resources showing that majority of home users purchase Mac computers only because of their looks.

And I think your post was rude

I now use Windows XP as my main operating system.

I tried different distrobutions of Linux in the past, including Mandrake, Knoppix, Fedora, Linspire, and finally settled on Gentoo for a while.

I stopped using Linux because I could already do everything I needed to do with Windows. I didn't want to be bothered to do a Google search and look on different Linux forums every time something didn't work right. With some simple tweaking and antivirus software, I didn't have to worry about viruses or spyware in XP.

As for my desktop, I tried to emulate the look of OSX for a bit, but I stopped since I couldn't get it perfect, and I still wouldn't get the feel of a Mac.

Here's two of my favorites.

http://img194.exs.cx/img194/1348/gantdesk4gj.jpg
    http://img188.exs.cx/img188/1023/screen8hn.jpg
    - Matt

Originally posted by easternBrain
    Hello Rob83, I respect your opinion but I differ from you when you say that Macs are purchased only for reliability, performance and stability, My mom had a Mac and trust me it wasn't 100% in any of those aspects.

I can't post links to polls and other stuf here but if YOu Google a little you'll find loads of resources showing that majority of home users purchase Mac computers only because of their looks.

And I think your post was rude
    I'm sure the people who bought it for LOOKS are the ones complaining that it doesn't function like they want. My question is: What are they basing their opinion on? Most likely a Windows Machine. Which again, you can't remotely compare the two.

Originally posted by Rob83
    I'm sure the people who bought it for LOOKS are the ones complaining that it doesn't function like they want. My question is: What are they basing their opinion on? Most likely a Windows Machine. Which again, you can't remotely compare the two.

Yes I agree they can't be remotely compared, but Rob83 both have their plus and minus points.
    Look there is a whole set of consumer group that wants a computer in their house and another set that wants to try Mac because they are bored with *Win. and there are end number of other such consumer groups that purchases a Mac without bothering about the inherent details. When a percentage of such users complain about Mac they are not basing opinion on Windows but they are basing their opinion on ease and usability missing in Macs. Such users who are used to Windows find Windows more friendly because of the way it functions. But, Mac users don't complain of the same because they find Windows more usable. Now that is a matter of debate but I say that from personal experience.

Personally, I would buy a Mac but I would buy it only for its looks.

Yet that is a matter of individual preferance and differs from person to person. But what are you complaining about??

What am I complaing about? Here, let me remind you:

This isn't a debate on which is better. I was stating my opinion. Nuff.

So you still are unable to understand that a big percentage of Mac sales is made to buyers who prefer it because of its looks. Eyes can't be closed to facts.

Do you have any idea how much importance Apple gives to the external design of a Mac and the styling. Why do you think they do that??

I have used all three (and use them everyday), and I can say the following things (from a developer's point of view):

Windows

You cannot run away from the operating system, nor will most people ever be able to completely replace it. The fact is that Windows is the most popular operating system in the world, and by far is in the majority when it comes to the corporate (and most home) desktops.

Therefore, if you are developer, you can't just stick your head in the sand and hope that Windows goes away. I get frustrated at Windows everyday. Especially when I compare to how things are done in other operating systems.

For a while, I didn't think anything could be wrong with the Windows user experience, because that was the only thing I was used to. I gave Linux a try, but usually ended up installing Windows back when my (back then) winmodem wouldn't work.

These days, I find things in Windows very annoying. My current point to complain about is the alt+tab task switch. If you have many applications (and many Windows) open, then alt+tab will show a window for each instance of the application (so if you have IE running with three open windows, you'll get three icons for IE). This isn't too bad, but the when you have 15+ windows, it gets a bit tiring to keep hitting tab to get to the window that you want.

On OSX, there is only one icon for each application running, no matter how many windows that application has open. So if you have Terminal running with three sessions, apple+tab will show only one icon for Terminal. Not only this, but you can use the mouse to select the application you want. After experiencing this, the Windows alt+tab looked very useless.

However, all said and done -- I still use Windows and find it very useful for certain tasks. Since I am a developer, I have to use Windows to make sure the programs that I develop are compatible with the most popular operating system in the world.

Linux

Linux still has to make a lot of headway in the user-friendly department, but as a low-cost server operating system, it simply cannot be beat.

For me, Linux makes the perfect server operating system since it runs all of my development servers and applications flawlessly. I have also used Linux as a desktop operating system, and it worked great for me. I found suitable Linux replacements for all my Windows applications, and I couldn't find a way to do something (most of the time it was 3 ways to do the same thing, which can be a bit frustrating) in Linux that I could in Windows. In short, it makes a great server operating system, but requires above-average technical know-how to be an effective everyday desktop package.

For those technically savvy people, Linux is a great replacement for Windows. For me, it was a toss up between Linux and OS X, and OS X won because it combined the best of both worlds.

OS X (Mac)

The first thing that attracts people to Apple's products is their design. Apple definately spanks every other computer manufacturer when it comes to aesthetics. Their computers look great, as does their operating system.

However, after the initial infatuation with the hardware wears off, and you stop tinkering with the widgets and have had enough of the expanding dock -- you realize that things are a bit different in Apple-ville.

It usually takes a few weeks for the hardened Windows user (like myself) to get used to OS X. Everything is a bit polished, a bit different. The first thing that baffled me was the lack of a Add/Remove programs. To install something, you simply drag its icon to a location on your computer. To uninstall, you drag it to the trash. How intuitive.

Then there are the neat little user interface aspects (like the apple+tab that I mentioned above). All these may look cool (and will most definately impress your co-workers) it takes a good while to get used to them before you can make a sound judgement regarding the increase/decrease of productivity.

As a developer, an Apple laptop with OS X makes for a perfect investment. It combines the robustness of Linux (OS X comes with most Linux/Unix-based utilities -- and comes with Apache, Samba, PHP, Python, Ruby, etc.) with a very clean and usable interface. I am in fact ordered a powerbook after one month of evaluating os x on a friend's machine.

Now that I have done my little speech/rant -- the factor that should not dictate your purchase is the look/feel or "ooh" factor of a product. If you just buy Apple because "it looks cool" you are wasting your money (imnsho).

So now I have -- one Linux server, one "portable" Linux server (my Powerbook -- when it arrives) and one Windows computer, which I use for testing/development.

Lucky for me, my favorite game was developed on Apple, so I have no issues there. For the rest, I have my Xbox

Edit:

Forgot to post screenshots:

Linux over VNC on Windows
    new install of Linux

When I get my powerbook, I'll take some screenshots.
    Last edited by Burhan; 07-13-2005 at 09:52 AM.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

My personal choice is linux. I find windows way too inferioir, hard to configure, maintain and update between versions and more or less useless for me. Maybe things changed but it seemed that anything you do on windows comes to hunt you at one point in the future and system gets slower and slower with the time, some program stops working with no obvius reason and you have to defrag and clean registry and stuff like that. I prefer system that will take care of itself, will never expire, will not need upgrade to new version and can run months and months with no reboot.

...couple recent screenshots:
    http://tnt.goldnet.ca/argh/ss.png
    http://tnt.goldnet.ca/argh/ss2.png

fyrestrtr buddy that was a great post. If we have a contest for post of the month i'll give my vote to that post of yours.

I now know a developer's perspective of the three major OS of today.. a very informative article.

Originally posted by Blankwire
    http://img188.exs.cx/img188/1023/screen8hn.jpg
    Ohhh.. I want that desktop!!! Where can I get it?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I wasn' sure if I should post a desktop request here in WHT..
    but yes.. I also want that wall Blankwire
    Can u pls post a link to it here or email it to me.

Thanks in advance.

So you still are unable to understand that a big percentage of Mac sales is made to buyers who prefer it because of its looks. Eyes can't be closed to facts.

Big percentage? of course there is a percentage of people who buy based on looks, but like most car sales, people buy them because of their looks plus what they have underneath. Take the G5 for example, very nice case. But it's more than that. The case has ample space, great ventillation and is organized very nice inside. People don't necessary buy computers because of what they look like, but their shape. Take the Dell's OptiPlex. Consumers purchase those for work related reasons because they are small and compact. If it was all about look, they'd get the "mac mini".

Do you have any idea how much importance Apple gives to the external design of a Mac and the styling. Why do you think they do that?? [/B]
    Hello? Do you think it's just Apple that does this? All car dealerships, keyboard manufactors, cell phone manufactors, printer manufactors, you name it, design is very important. It *has* to be eye pleasing, and has to give that "wow" look. The reason Apple does it because they not only make the computer, but the OS, whereas Microsoft doesn't build computers, they only make the core OS for the system. The only reason Apple made the mac mini is to be able to sell it at an affordable price so people would buy it. But their G5's have exploded, and while their G5 cases are extremely large, they are still being bought left and right for a main reason: performance.

Consumers who buy a mac because they look "cool", are eyecandy customers. They exist in every industry. Even web hosting. The bette your website, the better chance you have of getting customers. But to say that it's a "big percentage" that buy Mac's because of their looks is an insult to Mac users who value their computers and have supported Mac since the start.

The wallpaper is called test by colossus72.

EDIT: I can't upload the wallpaper for some reason..
    Last edited by Blankwire; 07-13-2005 at 01:58 PM.
    - Matt

One application that by itself justifies linux on my computers is K3b. These days making a backup copy of a CD in Windows has a good chance of destroying the CD copier program.

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    One application that by itself justifies linux on my computers is K3b. These days making a backup copy of a CD in Windows has a good chance of destroying the CD copier program.
    Yes I've used k3b some and I gotta say it's pretty nifty. I only have a CD-R in my laptop but it works nicely for it.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by fyrestrtr
    These days, I find things in Windows very annoying. My current point to complain about is the alt+tab task switch. If you have many applications (and many Windows) open, then alt+tab will show a window for each instance of the application (so if you have IE running with three open windows, you'll get three icons for IE). This isn't too bad, but the when you have 15+ windows, it gets a bit tiring to keep hitting tab to get to the window that you want.

On OSX, there is only one icon for each application running, no matter how many windows that application has open. So if you have Terminal running with three sessions, apple+tab will show only one icon for Terminal. Not only this, but you can use the mouse to select the application you want. After experiencing this, the Windows alt+tab looked very useless.
    Well, in my opinion, the Apple way would piss me off to hell and back. I often run many copies of a single application, say, PuTTy, and as I'm a keyboard junkie, I'd hate to have to resort to the mouse to choose which one I want to switch to. In some cases it makes sense for different instances to appear as one, and in some it doesn't. In most it makes sense for each window to be selected individually, however it doesn't make sense for applications to needlessly create tons of windows (*cough* IE *cough*). Anyway, I think this 'solution' is a kludge that masks a bigger problem; namely that applications just create too many darn windows. The taskbar grouping enabled by default in XP is equally annoying to me -- I can no longer use 'spatial' memory to remember which one I want to select, and windows seems to randomly reorganize the list to make things even worse. Because the alt-tab order is a stack, and I'm generally only working in a couple applications at a time, or a couple different remote sessions in the same program, it's very usable and only requires a keypress or two to switch to the application I need intuitively and without reading anything.

Anyway. OT. I've used both Windows and Linux full-time for considerable periods, and must say that I find reasons to prefer each, however I consistently end up back on Windows because of school. I need to use some EDA apps that I can't get on Linux. I need to compile Windows binaries to submit for assignments. I need to collaborate with other students using Office. And I need to be able to easily and efficiently access my *current* session at home. VNC is far too slow, NX-machine is overly complicated on the client side, and RDP just works and works well.

That said, I generally prefer Linux except for a couple of applications that I really miss when away from Windows. mirc and FlashFXP mostly. I still have yet to find a good GUI FTP client for Linux, and while X-Chat is nice software, it has some quirks that bug me and doesn't deal with a large number of channels nearly as nicely as mirc does. Aside from that, I can actually make it work how I want it to, I don't have to fire up VMWare to run some of the great OSS applications that are increasingly designed for Linux without Windows builds.

So for now it's Windows, with all of its varied annoyances. Once I'm out of school (or if I get bored again...), I'll probably be back on Linux again.

OS X all the way
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Once you go Mac, you never go back!

Try it -- it happened to me last December.
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

I prefer Windows but with some Custom GUI, can't take screenshot as I'm on my laptop, but mine is very clean, mostly white, with a garfield wallpaper in the background
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...