Just be glad you never have to fly AMC to Okinawa...

I landed in Okinawa, Japan as I've been transferred here by the Green Machine for a year. I've been here a couple of times but I'm still adjusting to the culture differences.

Anyhow, the really "painful" part came from a 3 day adventure that the Air Mobility Command (AMC) put us through in getting out here. I travelled alone but some folks travelled with several small children so keep this in mind as I recount the details:

Thurs, 7 July. I call AMC to see if everything is good to go for the evening. They inform me that the flight to Okinawa has been canc'd as the plane was delayed 24 hours getting in. Others, with families were not so lucky as I that I had friends local to LAX. They had to spend the night in a hotel.

Fri, 8 July
    2130 (9:30 pm) - Arrived at LAX and got in line.

2230 - Got to the ticket counter and got my boarding pass. Got in line to have my baggage screened by TSA.

Sat, 0030 (that's 12:30 AM) - Get to the baggage screener finally. One baggage screener for 300+ passengers. Thanks TSA!! I get in line to pass through security to get to my gate.

0130 - pass through security and get to my gate.

0230 - board my plane

0300 - taxi to the runway

0320 - return to gate due to aircraft malfunction

0330 - 0630 - mechanic "repairs" plane

0700 - taxi to runway again. Aircraft malfunctions.

0730 - told to get off the plane, retrieve our baggage and they are going to put us in hotels for the day when we'll start all over again at 2230 that night. My wife came and got me from LAX but most others stayed in hotels locally.

Saturday, 2230 - Arrive and go through the same routine up above making it to my gate at 0140 on Sunday. I wait for about an hour to board. I'm awoken at 0300 to the announcement that the plane is not fixed and that we are going back down to claim our baggage and stay in a hotel another day.

I thought about renting a car but thought I would likely fall asleep on the road getting back as I was exhausted from the night before. I also really didn't want to go through the routine of breaking my heart a third time kissing my wife and little kids goodbye so I got a ride to the Holiday Inn near LAX, which, incidentally, had hookers and drug dealers out in front of it when we pulled in about 0400 that morning.

Sunday, 2230 - Showed up and went through the same 4 hour routine waiting to get on my plane but this time we successfully got off the ground arriving in Okinawa on Tuesday at 1140 after a stop in Tokyo. The 14 hours in the air was the easy part.

Anyway, I was gratified to hear that AMC has done an analysis and figured out it's cheaper to buy us regular tickets rather than chartering flights from small carriers like World Airlines who made our lives difficult. The upside is that I met some Marines I'll be working with and struck up some good friendships. I think we all feel a little bit of a kinship after being held hostage by AMC for 3 days.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

well look at the bright side, it wasnt 4 days!
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Good lord, you must be a saint cause after the 2nd time I would have lost it.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Originally posted by J-P
    Good lord, you must be a saint cause after the 2nd time I would have lost it.
    If my kids had been with me I probably would be in prison right now.

I think because the whole year apart from my wife and kids is kind of the toughest thing that the delaying, while very frustrating, was just time away from them. I think I've just been a bit stoic about the whole thing so far trying not to reflect too much about things.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

wow and I thought getting through my 14 hr flight to China was hard.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...