Hybrid View

Server always goes down

My server goes down just about every other day and I don't know why. I only run my own php/mysql sites and don't run any other programs. What kind of logs could I look at to see what the problem is?

Server Specs:

AMD 1400
    Fedora 2
    512 mb ram
    100 gb hdd
    CPanel/WHM
    Apache, php 5

server load is never above .2

Any ideas or ways I can look to find out?

Thanks
    Gamedose.com - Fun games
    Gamedose.com Forums - Yet another gaming forum.

May be the CPU's temperature too high.

Once I get the box back up I will get more detailed information like kernal and such.
    Gamedose.com - Fun games

You can check the log files in /var/log/* to see if there is anything unusual there (focusing on 'dmesg' and 'messages' log files).

Try to figure out if there is any pattern before, during, and after the server crash. For ie. crashing at same time in the day, crashing when cron is running something, crashing when same file is accessed.

I guess you can ask your service provider to replace/check your hardware saying that it crashes multiple times.

In my reboot request I asked them to check to see if the server was compeltely off, and if so, see if the power supply was bad.

Thanks for the log file info. When its back up, I will check the logs
    Gamedose.com - Fun games

If it's a power supply you'll likely need to wait it out about a week or so, if it is bad the PSU will die. If it does not die after a week, look for other causes.

Guessing it is a hardware issue is not a necessary thing with linux and a tool like hotsanic. Use real logging utilities to actively monitor system performance, temperature, loads and you will know what is going on.

Guessing that it's a power supply issue is bad practice, when you could be monitoring the rail voltages directly off the PSU.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting