"Mixed" Help desk.

Hi!
    I'm starting in the WebHosting ground, I've been working on this for months, but now, I have a big "question" in my head.

Ok, Is true, I need money for this, but I donīt wanna to put too much money on this, because, if this project doesn't work, I'll lose money, time, and that things.

So, I was thinking in how I can set up a full Help desk, with no money..then I found something.

The commercial scripts (like eSupport or the full version of Cerberus HD) are great! But, theyīre too expensive for a project. In the other side, thereīre a lot of free scripts, but ONE can not supply all that I need to start on this.

So, basically, I did the following:
    Get a free Ticket System script, a free Knowledge Base / Faq Script, a free forum script, a bit of html knowledge and mix them.

Ok, looks unproffesional, maybe yes...probably yes.

Well, I started with the desing (very basic, Iīm testing all work properly), put some nice icons and thatīs it.
    When I look the result, Oh! Is very similar to Kayako eSupport design (letīs say the way that I put the things, because, eSupport looks too much better..)
    My question is Can I have some legal troubles for "steal" the design of the script?

Also, I leave you the address, any critic / suggestion, is welcome..
    | support(dot)lemuriahost(dot)com | (I know that I canīt, but I donīt have any commercial aim with this, If I still broking the rules, please remove the addres.)

I made a preliminar vision of the site and the support, because, first of all, I wanīt to have all the "back stage" working, then the design, in this way I have my time (And my mind) organized.

Well, I have 3 or 4 days left to work only on the support system. So, itīs time to hear (or read) things from who really knows about this.

Best regards,
    Nahuel Lanzon.

PS: Excuse my very bad english, I talk spanish.

Re: "Mixed" Help desk.

Originally posted by LemuriaHost
    Hi!
    Ok, Is true, I need money for this, but I donīt wanna to put too much money on this, because, if this project doesn't work, I'll lose money, time, and that things.
    You have to spend money to make money. That's how business works.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

yes, I always want to have my own Hosting Business, but I have that fear of "fail on this, lose all your money".

So, first of all, I do some "local" research and I found some contacts that can bring me clients.

I spend money, but not a lot. And all the money was for space / speed issues and that things.

You want to start up a profitable business with very little money, doesn't that soud a bit off to you?

In any event you won't get in trouble for stealing the general look of another support desk, just don't copy the icons from their site and put them into yours and you'll be fine.

If you didn't know already, Cerberus has a free version that has no restrictions except one e-mail address to parse e-mails into the system.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    You want to start up a profitable business with very little money, doesn't that soud a bit off to you?

In any event you won't get in trouble for stealing the general look of another support desk, just don't copy the icons from their site and put them into yours and you'll be fine.

If you didn't know already, Cerberus has a free version that has no restrictions except one e-mail address to parse e-mails into the system.
    First of all, thanks for your reply!

Second, Yes, I know that, even the first support system that I tried was it, but I decided to change it, because I need to parse all the accounts, not only one.

Third, yes, it sounds ilogical. But I donīt say that I donīt spend money, Iīm spending money on this, but the 40% of this project is based on contacts and really hard work.

I donīt have too much money right now to spend on it, so, I have to make all the hard work by myself.

But, Iīm happy with this, and will put all the effort to finally get some money, not for me..for this project.

Re: "Mixed" Help desk.

Originally posted by LemuriaHost
    My question is Can I have some legal troubles for "steal" the design of the script?
    If you take the HTML of a design letter per letter and space per space and just put your company's name on it without a) getting permission from whoever owns the copyright and b) giving credit to whoever owns the copyright, then yes, you may get into legal trouble. The word "steal" is a no-no physically and virtually

For example, I believe the icons used by Kayako were designed by someone else (forgot his name but he does awesome looking icons). If you are going to use the icons, then you will have to ask the designers of the icons (unless I'm mistaken and Kayako owns the rights to those icons, then you have to ask Kayako).

Good rule of thumb: If in doubt, ask before doing.

but I have that fear of "fail on this, lose all your money".
    If you think you'll fail, then you shouldn't waste your time. Your company's success will be directly proportional to whether or not you can make it succeed and how confident you are. Going into it with the thought of "I might fail" is not a good idea in such a volatile industry. Also, "failing" is really relative. You should give yourself up to a year or so before starting to think you've "failed". So if you don't have the funds and devotion to stick with your plans, then it will also be a waste of time/money.

On the other hand, I don't see a problem with using open-source or freeware to start off a new company. I've seen plenty of hosts start off with open-source software to launch their company and as their need grew, moved onto licensed products. I can't consider using open-source/free things as a foundation of your company as unprofessional (heck, that's why so many hosts love LAMP ).

Don't mean to scare you but good luck.
    Last edited by alpha; 07-13-2005 at 12:55 AM.

Your English is better than my Spanish.

The support part of the page looks ok, but it does not go well with the rest of the page. It partially overlapps with the text above (Mozilla/Linux).

Also, you seem to use a free template for your company - that really makes it look cheap end generic. People will wonder how long you'll stay around before they even think of signing up. If you know a bit of html: design your own site!

For the logos - ask before you use them.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why have a help desk if you have no customers?

You're starting small, so....a support page with a form to "submit tickets" (that really sends you and email) as well as phone contact information would surfice until you have generated enough income to buy the other software for $200

Another key is just having an FAQ page to help customers get setup. Viola, you're done for a while.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

Hi! Thanks for the replys.

As I said before, the design is just preliminar, I'm not going to launch the host "on air" (let's say, Aim to get customers) until I have everything working ok.

So, yes, is a free template, but is only temporal, I'm having some meetings with WebDesigners to get a good custom template.

Also, I need the Help desk, I don't have customers right now, but as I said before, I have potential customers in this area, small bussines are growing, and they need a website.
    Of course, I have contacts inside, to get directly with managers, so I'm gonna got it from it.

I have been a potential customer for webhosts, and, hey, I saw really great templates, but...the service was poor.

So, what is my priority? A good template, or a good support and a good service?

Regards!

LemuriaHost, hello there

May i ask what you mean by "don’t want to put too much money on this" ?.

How much is your budget for you do begin?.

I'm not trying to criticism , Just asking so i maybe can help.

Thank You,
    Stelios

Hi steliodj,

I really donīt want to talk about numbers, but, youīll be really surprised if you know how I deal to get good services at low prices..

But, just for say it in this way, lets say this:

of the 100% that I can spend on this.
    70% go for server issues
    25% for contacts / potential customers (Not Marketing...the mouth by mouth still working good for this area).
    5% for other issues -for ex. the domain name-

So, I donīt wanna to spend money on (for now) expensive scripts, if I can do something similar (in features, I know that Kayako is one hundred of times best than this) for free.

Iīm not a business man, and Iīm limited with the money that I can put on this, so, for make it a reality, the best that I can do, is simply think on how can I spend every dollar to get the 100% of this.

Hello there,

One more question do you consider phone as a contact/support option for your clients?

P.S. Just added you on MSN messenger if you want you can contact me there so we can discuss and exchange opinions as both we are new in hosting industry.

Sincerely,
    Stelios

Originally posted by steliodj
    Hello there,

One more question do you consider phone as a contact/support option for your clients?
    Phone support is expected by the customers. Without it, you may run into customer aquisition problems. For sure, having a phone number on your site will lend credibility to you, and convince more customers you are the right company to go with.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces

Phone support is hard to find on this situation.

First, The US Toll Free services don't know if they work in Argentina. And the local services are too expensives.

So, if I have it, it will be for local customers.

Yes, I know it, if you have a phone contact, seems more professional, but, I just don't see it viable from now.

Someone else here had a pretty good suggestion for that.

If you can word it correctly enough from your site, using Yahoo Messenger and the voice service that has....may be a great alternative. Customers may even feel more connected to you if you word it correctly and "hand out" a link to the download.

Something like "For voice support, we put you directly contact with our technicians via Yahoo Messenger voice services! Simply go to this link and download....(blah blah).... and add our technician to your buddy list (insert technician name). The cost is free, there are no long distance charges and we will work with you one-on-one!"
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces