• Easy and the best one out there

28 46.67%
  • Is alright overall

16 26.67%
  • I will consider some other control panel

16 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Helm Control Panel

How would you rate Helm Control Panel as your easy web hosting feature.

Where's the "Use the Search" option?

"easy"? What is that meant to mean? "easy" to install?
    "easy" for clients?
    "easy" to break??
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

I meant to say Easy for clients.

There is no 'best' or 'easiest' control panel - there is only the best and easiest control panel for your business and your clients, which will be different for each and every host.

While my own experience with Helm was pleasant and I found it easy to use from both the admin and user point of view, it doesn't mean that it'll suit your clients/business/business model
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Helm is really easy. Easy for Admins, Resellers and End Users .. Also their support and community is very active ..
    ¶ Rubal Jain // E-Mail - Rubal [at] Rubal.Net
    ¶ Helm Control Panel Setup, Installation, Configuration, Troubleshooting
    ¶ Helm Server Move, Service Migrations, Restorations, IP Renumbering
    ¶ Windows Server Setup, Configuration, Troubleshooting, Basic Security & Hardening

Thumbs up

Helm is really easy control panel and user friendly. The best thing is it has its own billing system.

I would agree to Helm being an easy panel but it is simply too expensive. In addition they charge heavily for support.I would not go for Helm

I like the look of helm but its very long winded to edit e.g. a hosting plan.

Our clients seem to like it, no complaints. The resellers sometimes have a little bit of problems because they forget to drill down but no clients have complained

It has a better interface compare to control panels like Hosting Accelerator, Ensim etc. and its alright overall.

Blessed.

Its "ok". Personally, cpanel is a much easier to use program for clients and the webhost.
    Carolina-Host - The final stop for ALL your web site needs!
    US & EU Datacenters | 100% Money back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime | Weekly Site Backups
    cPanel w/ Softaculous | Webalizer/Awstats | Site.Pro Website Builder | Lite Speed
    Poarch & Associates - Accounting, Tax Preparation, & Payroll Services since 1985

Except cPanel is for Linux and Helm is for Windows...

Helm has definitely come a long way. When I used Helm I wasn't too happy with the actual backend of it when it comes to managing customers. To me Helm kind of goes in a big circle (I could be wrong as it's been a while since I've used it). For instance, to add a website you have to add yourself as a reseller, then you add the website etc. Personally I would recommend Plesk for Windows. It comes with everything you need from MS SQL to Webmail. From what I remember you have to manually install all of those tools with Helm and I remember MySQL being one of the worst to install but like I said it's come a long way so they may have made some changes to make it easier.
    TheDedicatedReview.com
    ben@thededicatedreview.com
    Dedicated Server Reviews and Specials.

The way Helm works actually makes sense if you think about it - domains are assigned to users, not resellers, and resellers have x number of users. I think Helm 4 is likely to change the user model so you can specify as many or as few tiers as you want. MySQL installation used to be a pain, but there's a fairly comprehensive guide on the WHA site now. The problem with Plesk is that yes - it installs a whole load of applications, but if they're not the applications you WANT to use then you're a bit stuck. Helm lets you choose what you want to use right from the start - sure, you have to install those applications, but the freedom of choice is more than worth it.

On windows i see helm as the best solution.

Helm lets you choose what you want to use right from the start - sure, you have to install those applications, but the freedom of choice is more than worth it.
    And this is very true. Freedom of choice is important.

I would second Helm for windows when it comes to professional hosting control panels.

From clients point of view, it is really easy and more convenient. Not to forget it has the billing feature inbuilt which is one of the positive sides of helm
    Vision Helpdesk : Customer Support Helpdesk Software
    ThinkSupport Solutions™ - ThinkSupport.com

Thinking of Support Solutions ... Think About US .....!!!

we find that as of now helm is the most stable out there. But as a server admin we find few basic things missing. like our dependence on third party softwares that connect with helm.

19. I've had a fair bit of experience with Helm and Plesk over the last couple of years, and would say that Helm has been by far the best out of the two.

Plesk was a pain and never seemed to work as it should and wasnt that easy to use. Havn't had a problem with Helm as of yet. Its stable and easy to use, and when the new Helm 4 is released adding those few missing tools and extra functionality we should be onto a winner for sure.
    Ed Jones
    COLD FUSION UK
    0870 49 01 855
    www.coldfusionuk.biz : enquiries@coldfusionuk.biz

Development of Helm certainly isn't frozen, in fact it's accelerating.

There's a LOT of development going on for Helm 4 which is in it's first beta stage right now and everyone will get to see the huge benefits of this soon.

However, Helm 3 continues to grow also and the latest beta 3.2.10 should make full release in a couple of weeks, giving support for application packs (which will be HUGE!), DotNetNuke and more. 3.2.11 is already in progress and will bring hugely improved resource tracking.
    Mark Hall
    Founder and COO
    WebHost Automation Limited
    http://www.Helm4.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@Helm
    Development of Helm certainly isn't frozen, in fact it's accelerating.

There's a LOT of development going on for Helm 4 which is in it's first beta stage right now and everyone will get to see the huge benefits of this soon.
    Soon = ??? When exactly? This year? Next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@Helm
    However, Helm 3 continues to grow also and the latest beta 3.2.10 should make full release in a couple of weeks, giving support for application packs (which will be HUGE!), DotNetNuke and more. 3.2.11 is already in progress and will bring hugely improved resource tracking.
    Do you have more information on these "application packs"?
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

Yeah very much looking forward to Helm v4 - and also the next windows release of Plesk. Plesk 8 for nix looks great, and certainly will be worth a play when it comes out on windows... hopefully helm v4 will be around soon though!

Quote Originally Posted by blacknight
    Do you have more information on these "application packs"?
    Sure. Basically think along the lines of Fantastico for Windows but done in a more open source way that allows ANY ONE to create add-ons for things like forums, cms, photo galleries, etc. very easy and then share them with the rest of the community.

We've completed the major work which is to get the installation of the packs built into Helm. That's all complete and is ready for the 3.2.10 release due out in a week or two.

Once that's out we'll be working with our community and you'll see a huge list of these addons start to become available. We'll likely do some of the most requested ourselves and we've already completed one for DotNetNuke. But what's really exciting is that people don't have to wait for us to do these or wait to see which we decide people will want first. We have a huge community of developers who are desperate to get their hands on this and start churning out application packs that everyone can use.
    Mark Hall
    Founder and COO
    WebHost Automation Limited
    http://www.Helm4.com

It looks pretty neat on the demo.
    Does anyone know how Helm supports multilingual?
    Is it possible for the user as a reseller or end customer to chance the lang as needed?
    It might not be a common need, but I might have hosted customers that speak english, spanish and french sharing a server. I know for Linux and Cpanel that is no problem, same with Plesk (although $$$ involved).

Does anyone know how this is handled in Helm??

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast