60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Easy and the best one out there

28 46.67%
  • Is alright overall

16 26.67%
  • I will consider some other control panel

16 26.67%

Thumbs up Helm Control Panel

How would you rate Helm Control Panel as your easy web hosting feature.

Where's the "Use the Search" option?

"easy"? What is that meant to mean? "easy" to install?
    "easy" for clients?
    "easy" to break??
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

I meant to say Easy for clients.

There is no 'best' or 'easiest' control panel - there is only the best and easiest control panel for your business and your clients, which will be different for each and every host.

While my own experience with Helm was pleasant and I found it easy to use from both the admin and user point of view, it doesn't mean that it'll suit your clients/business/business model
    Alasdair

Helm is really easy. Easy for Admins, Resellers and End Users .. Also their support and community is very active ..
    ¶ Rubal Jain // E-Mail - Rubal [at] Rubal.Net
    ¶ Helm Control Panel Setup, Installation, Configuration, Troubleshooting
    ¶ Helm Server Move, Service Migrations, Restorations, IP Renumbering
    ¶ Windows Server Setup, Configuration, Troubleshooting, Basic Security & Hardening

Thumbs up

Helm is really easy control panel and user friendly. The best thing is it has its own billing system.

I would agree to Helm being an easy panel but it is simply too expensive. In addition they charge heavily for support.I would not go for Helm

I like the look of helm but its very long winded to edit e.g. a hosting plan.

Our clients seem to like it, no complaints. The resellers sometimes have a little bit of problems because they forget to drill down but no clients have complained

It has a better interface compare to control panels like Hosting Accelerator, Ensim etc. and its alright overall.

Blessed.

Its "ok". Personally, cpanel is a much easier to use program for clients and the webhost.

Except cPanel is for Linux and Helm is for Windows...

Helm has definitely come a long way. When I used Helm I wasn't too happy with the actual backend of it when it comes to managing customers. To me Helm kind of goes in a big circle (I could be wrong as it's been a while since I've used it). For instance, to add a website you have to add yourself as a reseller, then you add the website etc. Personally I would recommend Plesk for Windows. It comes with everything you need from MS SQL to Webmail. From what I remember you have to manually install all of those tools with Helm and I remember MySQL being one of the worst to install but like I said it's come a long way so they may have made some changes to make it easier.

The way Helm works actually makes sense if you think about it - domains are assigned to users, not resellers, and resellers have x number of users. I think Helm 4 is likely to change the user model so you can specify as many or as few tiers as you want. MySQL installation used to be a pain, but there's a fairly comprehensive guide on the WHA site now. The problem with Plesk is that yes - it installs a whole load of applications, but if they're not the applications you WANT to use then you're a bit stuck. Helm lets you choose what you want to use right from the start - sure, you have to install those applications, but the freedom of choice is more than worth it.

On windows i see helm as the best solution.

Helm lets you choose what you want to use right from the start - sure, you have to install those applications, but the freedom of choice is more than worth it.
    And this is very true. Freedom of choice is important.

we find that as of now helm is the most stable out there. But as a server admin we find few basic things missing. like our dependence on third party softwares that connect with helm.

19. I've had a fair bit of experience with Helm and Plesk over the last couple of years, and would say that Helm has been by far the best out of the two.

Plesk was a pain and never seemed to work as it should and wasnt that easy to use. Havn't had a problem with Helm as of yet. Its stable and easy to use, and when the new Helm 4 is released adding those few missing tools and extra functionality we should be onto a winner for sure.

20. Development of Helm certainly isn't frozen, in fact it's accelerating.

There's a LOT of development going on for Helm 4 which is in it's first beta stage right now and everyone will get to see the huge benefits of this soon.

However, Helm 3 continues to grow also and the latest beta 3.2.10 should make full release in a couple of weeks, giving support for application packs (which will be HUGE!), DotNetNuke and more. 3.2.11 is already in progress and will bring hugely improved resource tracking.
    Mark Hall
    Founder and COO
    WebHost Automation Limited
    http://www.Helm4.com

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Development of Helm certainly isn't frozen, in fact it's accelerating.

There's a LOT of development going on for Helm 4 which is in it's first beta stage right now and everyone will get to see the huge benefits of this soon.
    Soon = ??? When exactly? This year? Next year?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    However, Helm 3 continues to grow also and the latest beta 3.2.10 should make full release in a couple of weeks, giving support for application packs (which will be HUGE!), DotNetNuke and more. 3.2.11 is already in progress and will bring hugely improved resource tracking.
    Do you have more information on these "application packs"?
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

Yeah very much looking forward to Helm v4 - and also the next windows release of Plesk. Plesk 8 for nix looks great, and certainly will be worth a play when it comes out on windows... hopefully helm v4 will be around soon though!

24. Quote Originally Posted by blacknight
    Do you have more information on these "application packs"?
    Sure. Basically think along the lines of Fantastico for Windows but done in a more open source way that allows ANY ONE to create add-ons for things like forums, cms, photo galleries, etc. very easy and then share them with the rest of the community.

We've completed the major work which is to get the installation of the packs built into Helm. That's all complete and is ready for the 3.2.10 release due out in a week or two.

Once that's out we'll be working with our community and you'll see a huge list of these addons start to become available. We'll likely do some of the most requested ourselves and we've already completed one for DotNetNuke. But what's really exciting is that people don't have to wait for us to do these or wait to see which we decide people will want first. We have a huge community of developers who are desperate to get their hands on this and start churning out application packs that everyone can use.
    Mark Hall
    Founder and COO

It looks pretty neat on the demo.
    Does anyone know how Helm supports multilingual?
    Is it possible for the user as a reseller or end customer to chance the lang as needed?
    It might not be a common need, but I might have hosted customers that speak english, spanish and french sharing a server. I know for Linux and Cpanel that is no problem, same with Plesk (although $$$ involved).

Does anyone know how this is handled in Helm??

Thanks.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Destral
    Does anyone know how Helm supports multilingual?
    Hi Destral, I can answer that one for you.

Helm supports a number of languages already and there's all created by our community and made freely available to all. You can see a list of the languages already available here: http://www.webhostautomation.com/webhost-375. If a language you require isn't already available it's possible for you to download the XML template and create it yourself.

We do it this way because we're then able to give the langage packs away for free.

Once an administrator has installed these language packs on their server all end users get to choose from the installed languages when they log in. Here's an example of this here: http://helmdemo.webhostautomation.com/. You can see there's 5 languages installed on this server.

Hope this helps.
    Mark Hall
    Founder and COO

Awesome!
    Thanks Mark, it does answer my question.

Regards.

Any plans to build a Linux/Unix supported version of Helm? Specifically RedHat/CentOS and FreeBSD?
    OSHS Ltd
    OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | Remote Backup Storage | R1Soft CDP Storage | Cheap Dedicated Servers
    EconDC.com - Enterprise UK Server Colo & Rack Space at Lowest Prices

I dont believe there is plans for linux, as helm is a Windows hosting control system. Plus Windows is allot better.

I have used helm for about 3yrs or more now and its the best system I have ever used.

I would recommend it to anyone in the world, if anyone tries to diss it, I am willing to argue hehe
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

I can maybe accept that Helm is a better control panel than many others, but are you trying to say Windows is a better operating system than Linux or Unix??? Hmm, that's another story altogether...
    OSHS Ltd
    OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | Remote Backup Storage | R1Soft CDP Storage | Cheap Dedicated Servers

31. Quote Originally Posted by suhailc
    ... that's another story altogether...
    Yeah, we'll leave that to the the other thousand threads on this forum ;-)

Everyone has their own opinions. It's jut a shame that a lot of the "discussions" on this topic are made by people that haven't actually put in the time to really find out the facts for themselves and would ratther just post childish statements like "windows sucks" or "linux sucks", when in reality they don't seem to have any constructive at all to say.

Anyway, that's my little rant for the day over ;-)
    Mark Hall
    Founder and COO

Hi Mark,

So seriously, why not HELM for Linux? There are enough of us running Linux that would be interested.

Regards,
    Suhail.
    OSHS Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by suhailc
    Hi Mark,

So seriously, why not HELM for Linux? There are enough of us running Linux that would be interested.

Regards,
    Suhail.

They are concentrating on Helm 4 for Windows at the moment. Linux wont be possible for them ATM I believe, but I am sure Helm 4 modules will be supporting some peaks of Linux environment like MySQL, DNS ( Bind ) and etc.

Regards
    ¶ Windows Server Setup, Configuration, Troubleshooting, Basic Security & Hardening

34. Yes, we could jump into move Helm to Linux for sure but we're holding back on that right now for a number of reasons, the main one being that we don't want to end up in a similar situation as other control panel developers where their "ports" from linux to windows aren't really up to the job. At the moment we have strong support from our customers because Helm was designed to make the most of hositng on Windows. We wouldn't want to just port Helm to Linux and assume it would be as good on that platform.

Basically, if and when Helm becomes available on Linux, we'd make sure we did it right.
    Mark Hall
    Founder and COO

Dotnet Panel insecure ?

Quote Originally Posted by WinHosting
    We used to use Helm (also tried Plesk and Hosting Controller), but now we use Dotnetpanel. ....
    You shound fishy.

I checked .net panel website and saw the demo. It seems they dont have a file and folder security manager. Even helm dont have a advanced security manager like plesk.

I have a feeling that dotnet panet dont even mange NTFS security permissions properly and and also dont manage iis security and ASP.NET runtime security isolation.

Dotnetpanels approach looks really sleek. Let me know if I am correct or not.

Do you use msn ? I wanna have a chat with you for some experaince.

Helm will inherit permissions which you have on your Domains folder. So if your domains folder is not secured then all domains under it will be not secure. . How can you say Helm doesnt manage the NTFS security permissions properly and DNP does ? Helm simply does it fine for me. There are some Articles on WHA forums which tells you how you can secure Helm, Your server, IIS and ASP.Net .. if you are so lazy to find it then lemme know I'll post the URLs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubal
    Helm will inherit permissions which you have on your Domains folder. So if your domains folder is not secured then all domains under it will be not secure. . How can you say Helm doesnt manage the NTFS security permissions properly and DNP does ? Helm simply does it fine for me. There are some Articles on WHA forums which tells you how you can secure Helm, Your server, IIS and ASP.Net .. if you are so lazy to find it then lemme know I'll post the URLs here.
    I did not say HELM cant manage hosting security, I said its folder security management is not as mature as PLESK's one.

On the other hand it seems that Dotnetpanel does not care about NTFS and IIS security at all. Other wise that panel looked like a great / simple panel for windows hosting.