I want a box with my choice of opsys

I figure hosts need a new incentive to bring business their way these days. I have an Idea. Let the end user decide what opsys he wants on a box. I'm wanting a clarkconnect host. I've looked around on the web just for that. A clarkconnect host. CC Is the only distro that gives me what I like. A real web server with no frills and a panel. I'm a slackware fan. I would rather compile than rpm it for the most part. But not when it comes to a small web server setup. I like Unbuntu. But for serving, I like my cc panel and I cannot see why anyone would pay for a single server administrative panel for a few virtual hosts.

Any clarkconnect hosts out there in a datacenter with some pipe? I would certainly be happier than my current Virtuazzo VPS.

Donka
    Last edited by rjspence; 07-12-2005 at 08:04 PM.

Dedicated server seams like the best situation for you with VPS you are at the murcy of your host. Also is the same with shared hosting.

Yeah It's difficult. I've been hosting my own pages on RR and Charter Business networks for 5 years. I moved out to the country and all I could get was DSL. Slow DSL at that. Then they want to hack on me for a mere 1 down and 256k up. So, I'm trying to figure out what my next step is. I prefer to host myself if the speed is there.

Hi rjspence,

First of all would like to welcome you to wht. Secondly if CC is an open source distro (as I am presuming it is) you shouldn't really have a problem with getting a provider to set it up for you on your server. Nearly all dedicated server providers can handle it as long as you'd provide them with the URL to the iso to be installed.

In any case wish you the best of luck.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the welcome and words of kindness. I'm sure I'm figure it out.

Thanks

I would recommend both checking in the advertising forums on here as well as host's signatures for good company ideas on who you choose from. In any case wish you the best in your search (always remember to never judge a book by it's cover and also research your choices before jumping into anything).

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

I would recommend using a dedicated server...pretty much can configure it and load it up the way you like.