Question about text in photoshop

I'm pretty much a newb to photoshop, so I have a question about doing text.

If I want to create a simple text banner in photoshop that matches the background color of my page, how do I go about doing that? The part I'm having an issue with is getting the background color of the banner to match the background color of the site.

You have two options:

1) Make the banner background the same colors as your site's background. For that use the paint bucket.

2) Create the banner using a transparent background [.GIF]. That way your banner will fit any site because it uses the webpage's BG color.

- Tomer
    Christmas time is among us, get your loved ones Designer Fragrances

It is usually best to go with the .GIF image but if you have a solid background and want to use the banner for just that site (and you want it to look nice and smooth 100%) then go with the solid color. If you are having trouble finding out exactly which color the background is, the easiest way to get it is to PRINT SCREEN, paste in a new document in photoshop, and select the color.

Hope that helps.
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

Kind of a roundabout way to find the color, no? Right click, read the code, grab the HEX.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Originally posted by bear
    Kind of a roundabout way to find the color, no? Right click, read the code, grab the HEX.
    Actually, I've found that the screenshot works faster too. I'm already in my program (for me, Fireworks), so I hit one button, ctrl-n, ctrl-v, then switch to my primary canvas and grab the color from the screenshot sitting in the background.

For me, this is a lot faster than sorting through someone's tag soup, or in the case of well-formed markup, finding the right id/class in the markup, loading up the CSS, finding the right rule and extracting the hex value. Plus, you've gone through all that for nothing when you discover someone's used big colored image blocks as spacers, or something mindnumbingly dumb like that.

Sorting the code might be faster sometimes, but the print screen method is also quite fast, and guaranteed to work
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Ironically, in Fireworks, you could just grab the "fill color" swatch in the toolbar (turning it into an eyedropper), and without releasing it, hover over the color you want in the other window...no cut/paste etc.

This is very true, reason #1784 why Fireworks is better than Photoshops for Web graphics

I tend to keep my apps maximized though.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Photoshop also has fill colour, and colour choosing options. If you select the fill colour tool, hold 'alt' to turn it into a colour selector, let go to turn it back in to the fill colour. It also has colour sampling, match colour etc.

PS CS is quite diverse for colour. Just need to know how the tools work within the program, a bit of a change from FW
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

I'm quite familiar with PS (and still learn something new every day it seems), but have to agree about web graphics being that much easier in FW. I reach for it much more often for daily use.