Red face My Nightmare Experience with Hosting Company & TUCOWS

**I know i have a lot of typos but bare with me, i have lots to say**

Hi I just wanted to tell you about my experiences with both my ex-hosting company and the registar. I bought my domain name about 6-7 years (THROUGH NETWORK SOLUTIONS) ago and during that time there was not to many web hosting company or resellers like there is now *GEZZZZ*, i came apon a web hosting company that had really great features (DURING THAT TIME) So i signed up with them for 6 months i believe. After a year went and came by i thought to myself "Hey i'm getting free hosting" this continued for about 3-4 years, they finally caught up to me and said i had to renewal my contract because it expired. So i did for two years i paid 199.99 then i actually did some research and found other hosting company that had better features so i TRIED to excercise my 30 days money back, guess what! Do i even have to say? I didn't get it back, i exchange a couple of e-mails with him and he tried to tell me if i wanted a check to be mailed to me, being a banker i know thats not the best way to get your money back so i told him i would like it the same way you got it (THROUGH PAYPAL.COM) a week past, then 2 weeks still no refund. I exchange some more e-mails with him and obviously i was getting the run around. By this time i was pissed and i did some research on his name and the companys reputation. To my surprise i found a lot of information on him and his company, basically it says to STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from many past customers.

Super.Nu and its subsidiary companies is a bad webhosting company - please do a search for STEVE GUNNELS (CEO/OWNER)on google.com you will find other people who went through the same SH***
    the company even has a record on the BBB.ORG *A BAD RATING* from the betterbusinessbureau

FIDPAC
    americashost.com
    apache-hosting.com
    best1hosting.com
    best-deal.net
    best-host.net
    besthost1.com
    betterhosting.net
    bluefinhosting.net
    century-host.net
    discountworldwebhost.com
    earth-host.com
    europa-relay.net
    favoritehost.com
    fidpac.com
    host-america.net
    host-s.com
    hostitplus.com
    huntwick.com
    intellihosting.com
    lionhost.com
    mlpro.com
    stellweb.com
    super.nu
    superbhost.net
    superhostess.com
    superhosts.net
    syonic.com
    ultra-host.net
    unihosting.com
    web1host.com
    webrite.com
    webspacesupplier.com

Why did i stay with them for so long? Will obviously i was getting free hosting for a couple of years so that was a plus, how was the service you asked? It was alright, had like 3-4 down times a month and the POP3 had a lot of down times. the one thing i hated was that if you wanted to get an additional e-mail created you had to fill out this web base form to get a new e-mail same goes for a new FTP. It would take a day usually to have it up, why did he have to do that when they had the ENSIM control panel setup *E-MAIL ADDITION DISABLED*?? I don't know but what i do know is that when they created the e-mail for you immediately i would start getting spam mail not from my SUPER.NU but the usual spam mail, i was thinking to myself i just got this e-mail address...How do you think i got all those junk mail? I'm thinking he gave out all new e-mails created to spamming companies or a black list because i would get e-mails for things i didn't even signup for, or basically i use it just to merely have it. Because you and i know that spamming is bad but you only get spam mail when you actually use it to buy things or sign up for things.

**Network solutions is a great company, even though they have higher prices they are really great.

Well lets get back to my nightmare, before i signed up for the renewal i had problem with the DNS and STEVE asked me if i would transfer it over to TUCOWS and he could be the technical support and he could manage it and do mantance on it if he needed to, nothing wrong with that right? So i did. What i didn't know was that now he had complete control over my domain and he had the ID and pass to manage it, i wanted to change my name server many times but i didn't know the ID or PASS, he actually is telling me that i need to pay him 250 to get that information even though i bought the dmoain name i registered it and everthing.

TUCOWS.com and is a bad company DOMAINDIRECT.COM and OPENSRS.NET

First of all Tucows never answers their phone, you are taking directly to their voice mailbox, but don't bother leaving a message because i'm sure it probably gets erased at the end of the day. You asked maybe i should e-mail TUCOWS/OPENSRS.NET i tried but if you look carefully the e-mail isn't sent to them its sent to the reseller which is YUP you guessed it STEVE GUNNELS/SUPER.NU
    Basically they don't want to deal with the domain owners but only the resellers. So if you have a problem with your domain you can't get help for them only the service provider. I'm thinking i lost my domain, but you know what, live and learn i guess. It sucks because when they have that stupid transfer lock in place you can't really do anything, i can't unlock it because STEVE won't give it to me with the $$$ Is this fair?

I thought that TUCOWS was a good company because ever since i'v been using the internet i'v always seen tucows, it wasn't as great as download.com but it was always there, i never knew they were so bad too. stay away from them too!!!!

Now with my new domain name i'm trying to find a web hosting company. I narrowed it down to two. if you could give me some feedback or advice or experiences

emaxhosting.com
    or
    site5.com

Ace00
    Thanks in advanced.

P.S. I never knew how hard it is to find a good web hosting company these days.

Use the search feature and you will find plenty of reviews on both site5 and emaxhosting.

Best of luck

no one has any good to say of steve gunnels? for shame

Which teaches you the lesson: beware of letting anyone else handle your domain registration record...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Greetings Ace00:

I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

With close to 24,000 web hosting providers just in the U.S. per http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/globalstats/ I can understand the end user experience.

There is an old saying that over the past ten years of our companies existance proved itself to date: you get what you pay for.

That stated, we've been working with OpenSRS / TuCows since 1998; the relationship has been great.

While I believe they are stuick on their API vs. fully deliverable model, they do come through in terms of the services they provide.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience; but it sounds like the hosting provider(s) did not do their end correctly or potentially ethically with your domain name registrations correctly.

I know when we register domain names through OpenSRS, the client owns the domain name, is the administrative contact, and has their own user id and password for self management through https://manage.opensrs.net/

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

The only way they gained control of your domain name would be if you authorized the transfer to them and gave them ownership. All transfers have to be authorized by the owner. Everyone should beware of doing a transfer unless they are completley aware of what it means and its ramifications. This is the same with customers letting their web designer register their domain name for them in the designers name and then complaining when they burn the designer and wonder why they don't have access to their domain anymore.

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings Ace00:

I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

With close to 24,000 web hosting providers just in the U.S. per http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/globalstats/ I can understand the end user experience.

There is an old saying that over the past ten years of our companies existance proved itself to date: you get what you pay for.

That stated, we've been working with OpenSRS / TuCows since 1998; the relationship has been great.

While I believe they are stuick on their API vs. fully deliverable model, they do come through in terms of the services they provide.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience; but it sounds like the hosting provider(s) did not do their end correctly or potentially ethically with your domain name registrations correctly.

I know when we register domain names through OpenSRS, the client owns the domain name, is the administrative contact, and has their own user id and password for self management through https://manage.opensrs.net/

Thank you.

I may be old fashion *Even though i'm just 24 years old LOL* but i rate companies by thier customer service. Like for those web hosting companies/resellers that are just starting off, they are over selling to try to attract as many new customer as possible at the same time trying to get their name out as a great cheap web hosting company, but they all seem to forget that it starts with customer service. Now i could have easily pick a web hosting company that had unlimited bandwidth and a ridiculous disk space size but i choose not to because of my past experiences. Now i choose Site5.com to be my new host and im basing it totally on current and past customers experiences. NOw if site5.com screws me over i'm just going to forget about the whole internet itself and focus my attention to something else *Being the ultimate Halo player LOL* From what i see and hear i'm sure i'm in good hands with site5.com, they had everything up and running real quick, and godaddy actually did the DNS update really quick, i know it usually takes 24-48 hours for it to respond to the new nameservers but it only took 30-45 min. Yikesss

Ace00

P.S. Off topic but i took my car into a local mechanic and they screwed me over and overcharged me inserted used and wrong parts, just becuase i wanted to save a few bucks, bottom line "you actually get what you pay for". TAKE IT TO THE DEALER IT WILL CAUSE U LESS HEADACHE THEY WILL USE GENUINE PARTS, may cost a bit more but hey i guess thats life.

Oops and also dynamicnet you and your company may be one of those rare companies who actually think and care about customer service and not just trying to fatten their wallet but with STEVE/SUPER.NU there just also trying to find ways to get more $$ out of their current users. (You might have sent the ID and PASS to your customer who you had transfer their domain to OPENSRS but with SUPER.Nu they didn't. TUCOWS/OPENSRS still leaves a bad taste in my mouth because their support is little to none. No doubt in my mind that TUCOWS is a big company and has been around for a number of years but don't you think by this time they would have fullfilled the customer service needs, phone help, call backs or a better e-mail response system. Obviously more man power means shelling out more $$ which is bad for companies right now just because of the slow econ.

Hey so i just wanted to update you guys what happen with my little problem with Super.nu/Steve Gunnels.

I basically gave up on my domain but long and behold i get an e-mail from tucows.com saying that FIDELITY Inc. (One of his many names/companies) has just shut down *YAAAAAAA* and they went ahead and moved me over to domaindirect.com they also gave me a temp password so i could go and do maintenace on it or unlock the transfer feature. Bottom line i got my domain back from the evil empire of Steve Gunnels. BTW i never knew how many hundreds or even thousands of people he scammed, but i hope you guys can learn from it * I know i did* and for those who don't know....well just stay away from this hosting company.

BTW i saw a topic on here about Steve and super.nu, why is it lock or being reviewed? People need to know about him and his company!!! reopen it!

***EXTRA INFO..heres the e-mail i got from TUCOWS...

Dear Fidelity Pacific customer,

We hope this email finds you well!

As you may or may not know, Fidelity Pacific Inc. - your domain name reseller - has closed shop. As a result, your domain name has been moved to new management at Domain Direct (www.domaindirect.com) - a Tucows.com reseller.

Please note, going forward you will have a NEW domain administration area called your Domain Control Panel. This is where you will be able to manage all settings and services associated with your domain name.

To access your Domain Control Panel, all you need is your domain name and the password we have temporarily assigned to you.

There are two ways to access your Domain Control Panel:
    1. Go to http://www.domaindirect.com and click on the "My Account" link under the HOME tab OR 2. Go to https://www.domaindirect.com/cgi-bin/cpanel.cgi to log in.
    Your temporary password is XXXXXXXXXXX

***IMPORTANT***
    Please log into your DCP and ensure that your contact information is up to date.

=========================================
    Navigating your Domain Control Panel
    =========================================

Account Info
    ------------
    Listed here is the information associated with your Domain Direct account, including Contact Information and Expiry Date.

Change Password
    ---------------
    Here you can change the temporary password we gave you.
    Keep a record of the new password, as you will need it to access your Domain Control Panel in the future.

Advanced Settings
    -----------------
    Advanced Domain Settings gives you complete control over the way your domain works. You can change your name servers (or create your own), edit your zone file, update your WhoIs contact information and more.

Privacy
    -------
    Privacy allows you to update your WhoIs record with non-personal information.
    When you enable Privacy, the Administrative Contact and Billing Contact sections of your WhoIs record are replaced with generic Domain Direct information. This can help to significantly reduce the amount of unsolicited email and postal mail you receive. You will still be listed as the Registrant of your domain, and you will retain complete control of your domain.

We look forward to a long and lasting relationship with you.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at:
    http://www.domaindirect.com/support.html
    North American Toll-Free: 1-866-337-8633.
    Toronto & GTA: 416-531-2084.

Sincerely,
    Team @ Domain Direct

I agree with Ace00 here. Bad customer service is a *major* pet peeve of mine. Example given: I was just in a car accident about a month ago, and have had nothing but *TROUBLE* with the insurance company. It's been a very horrible experience. The body shop has been awesome - the insurance company hasn't.

Another example given: I chose to email HostCentric's support instead of calling to cancel a hosting account I had there. All I'll say here is that I hope you get a faster response on the phone than you do over email.

I know I'm ranting, but good customer service is so simple to provide because everyone is a customer and - hopefully - understands what it takes to provide good customer service. So I'm just not sure why nobody can/will provide it anymore.

But anyway, I feel for you Ace00!

Originally posted by Ace00
    I may be old fashion *Even though i'm just 24 years old LOL* but i rate companies by thier customer service. Like for those web hosting companies/resellers that are just starting off, they are over selling to try to attract as many new customer as possible at the same time trying to get their name out as a great cheap web hosting company, but they all seem to forget that it starts with customer service. Now i could have easily pick a web hosting company that had unlimited bandwidth and a ridiculous disk space size but i choose not to because of my past experiences. Now i choose Site5.com to be my new host and im basing it totally on current and past customers experiences. NOw if site5.com screws me over i'm just going to forget about the whole internet itself and focus my attention to something else *Being the ultimate Halo player LOL* From what i see and hear i'm sure i'm in good hands with site5.com, they had everything up and running real quick, and godaddy actually did the DNS update really quick, i know it usually takes 24-48 hours for it to respond to the new nameservers but it only took 30-45 min. Yikesss

Ace00

P.S. Off topic but i took my car into a local mechanic and they screwed me over and overcharged me inserted used and wrong parts, just becuase i wanted to save a few bucks, bottom line "you actually get what you pay for". TAKE IT TO THE DEALER IT WILL CAUSE U LESS HEADACHE THEY WILL USE GENUINE PARTS, may cost a bit more but hey i guess thats life.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Was with the same company

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    Which teaches you the lesson: beware of letting anyone else handle your domain registration record...
    I agree with you 100%. I was with the same company until it went down a couple of weeks ago with no warning what so ever.
    I had lifetime hosting and had paid for a mandatory move to a new server in May. Gunnels wanted to take care of my domain name registration and I would not let him do that. I took care of that matter myself. I registered with Network Solutions and have found them to be excellent. I am not as computer savy as most of you all and I have found that the Customer Service Reps are polite and professional. When I had my recent DNS change it only took a couple of hours for it to take affect. I highly recommend Netwrok Solutions for domain matters. Great service for us "Computers for Dummies" types

Kaye Downing

Network Soultions is always realiable, but they're kinda pricey for me so i'm actually with Godaddy, and as for right now i'm satisfied with them and my new webhosting company Site5.com