How fast would this be?

Hello,
    Is this normal for co location:

Full Cage Rack
    10Mbits Dedicated Line
    100MBPS line

How fast would the servers be?
    Funny Pics, Hot Chicks, and Cool Flicks!!!
    Get Opera, which is now ad-free and no licensing fee.

Depends a lot on the location, bandwidth, etc. There is no simple answer to this question.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Re: How fast would this be?

Originally posted by fordguy
    Hello,
    Is this normal for co location:

Full Cage Rack
    10Mbits Dedicated Line
    100MBPS line

How fast would the servers be?
    To give you a rough idea, thats about the equivalent of saying "Full 4 door car, blue, gas engine", it just doesen't contain enough of the relavent information (and begs to ask the question of, "are we talking about fast for a soccer mom? My grandparents, or a formula one race?").

You'd have to define both fast, and more information relating to the bandwidth provider to get a truly relavent answer to that question.

Okay, it's in Chicago or LA, and in the CI Host data center. Anything else?

Thanks for all the help!!! Quick Reply.

I AM NOT SELLING THIS AT ALL, THIS IS NOT SELF PROMOTION, AND I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS AVAILABLE, SO PLESE DO NOT REMOVE THIS POST.

I mean fast as in the kind of speed you would get if you were a shared hosting provider.

I'm an idiot. You were asking about the location in the DC? I'll just show you the plan:

Chicago/Los Angeles Full Enclosed Secure Rack Colocation
    Full Enclosed Secure Rack
    100Mbps connection
    12 power plugs w/ UPS
    254 IPs
    Dedicated 10Mbits of bandwidth (fully burstable)
    1 hr. admin time

CI Host has a fairly bad reputation here on the forum. I'd recommend doing a search.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

I think it would do about 120mph, maybe 140 depending on the tires.

read the package details. It is usually the fine print at the bottom of the page.
    Looking for next opportunity

CIHost has(had) a lot of angry customers. They are a large company, but it looks like they werent able to sustain growth as far as I can see. Now this is just my opinion, but if you're going to trust a full rack which I assume you will be filling with servers, id highly suggest you go somewhere else. In Chicago there's the Equinix datacenter with plenty of hosting providers in there (talk to KarlAZimmerman from SteadFastNetworks). For LA, I believe there is another Equinix or some other datacenters there. If you're looking for something as cheap as CIHost, you may try the Fremont, California facility which has only HE bandwidth.

I just want to best deal for a full rack. I cannot spend anymore than iweb.ca would. They are my best choice as of right now.

Here is the plan from iweb.ca that I really like:

http://iweb.ca/en/index.php?page=col...oUnmeteredRack

For the 48U, that is. I'll check out Equinix!!
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 07-12-2005 at 04:50 PM.

Does anybody know how much Equinix and Telehouse is? For telehouse, there is a javascript error on the page, and for equinix you probably got to contact them.

You'll have to get in contact with a Telehouse rep as well for pricing.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

Equinix and Telehouse is carrier-neutral there are only providers within them that sell utilizing their facilities. SteadFastNetworks is an example of a provider within the chicago Equinix facility. There is Equinix's all over the country though. Contact individual providers for prices on space and bandwidth.

I'm interested in colo4dallas. What the heck is a switch? Colo4dallas seems the have a heck of a price. Here are the ones that I have pretty much marked off my list:

Marked off:
    Equinix
    Telehouse

Still to do, or interested in:
    365main.com
    iweb.ca
    colo4dallas.com
    Savvis

You guys will never know how much I appreciate this, thank you very much!!!

Okay, I'm about 95% sure that I'm going to go with colo4dallas. That value is just great.

Going direct with Telehouse or Equinix for a single cabinet won't be cheap. You then need to remember you'll need a cross connect to any provider you end up connecting to, etc.

As far as CIHost, we have had a number of cutomers leave us for the lower pricing atCIHost, only to come back two months later, and that is after they prepaid CIHost for a year of service. They were so unhappy with CIHost they left after two months or so after prepaying for a year. That tells you something about their service...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Maybe I won't go with colo4dallas. That's only a 10MBPS line.

Right on Jhosts, it has boiled down to SteadFast and Colo4dallas. Waiting for reply from colo4dallas. It's likely going to end up with steadfast.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. The only way that I can help you (besides monitary donation) is to send you a gmail invite or something I guess. PM if you want one.

HOLY SMOKES. I can get a extrememly good price from colo4dallas. I cannot say though.

Originally posted by fordguy
    HOLY SMOKES. I can get a extrememly good price from colo4dallas. I cannot say though.
    Is that Cogent-only or InterNAP/LVLT?

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

we are working on a deal for connectivity to InterNAP as well
    I find this a bit shocking. No offense Karl, but you seem to have a strange fascination with Internap--I don't think there's a thread on this board mentioning them in the last few years where you haven't commented negatively on them--and now you're becoming a customer. I'm curious as to the reason behind the change of heart.

Originally posted by lockbull
    I find this a bit shocking. No offense Karl, but you seem to have a strange fascination with Internap--I don't think there's a thread on this board mentioning them in the last few years where you haven't commented negatively on them--and now you're becoming a customer. I'm curious as to the reason behind the change of heart.
    TEAMNet is making us a very nice offer, they use InterNAP exclusively. That is basically the whole story there... I've never denied that InterNAP is great for marketing reasons, and I still believe that it is overpriced. That is my only claim, that you can do just as well, for much less, from several other providers. The thing is, the savings on space and the other possitives they are providing make up for the price difference. I have NEVER said that InterNAP did not provide a high level of service.

Also, I'm not dealing directly with InterNAP, which had been nothing but a hassle...
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Originally posted by JHosts
    TEAMNet = FastServers? Or at least the owners of the dc fastservers are now in?
    Yes, it is the same facility FastServers is in.