who saw the Daily Show last night?

There was a clip of an American news anchor/commentary saying

"this is why the brits should have let the French have the Olympics, let them worry about people having bombs in their bags"

Who was that guy? He should be strung up and beaten until he apologises profusely.

isn't the daily show satirical? you shouldn't really take anything broadcasted in those shows seriously.

important point. these bombings had nothing to do with the Olympics, i'm sure the terrorists were just as surprised at the result as we were.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Originally posted by ALGORYTHM
    isn't the daily show satirical? you shouldn't really take anything broadcasted in those shows seriously.

important point. these bombings had nothing to do with the Olympics, i'm sure the terrorists were just as surprised at the result as we were.

There was a clip of an American news anchor/commentary saying

They satire the boobs who say stuff like this.

blue27 cleared it up...it wasn't Jon Stuart saying this, it was a clip of an actual newsperson on a big program (CNN?) saying this.

it repeats at 8pm today, im guessing it was someone from the fox (commentary)news channel
    Why do they call them fingers? I never seen them fing. Oh, there they go.

i saw part of it, but i missed that.

I'll make sure to watch the repeat tonight at 8.

I don't know who it was, but I saw it too. I was pretty disgusted when that clip was shown. What an ***. I haven't watched a whole lot of news lately since the English won the Olympics - or rather since the French lost. The amount of French-bashing got way out of control.

I know Amercians seem to have a bit of a problem with them, but most of the stuff I hear is fairly light-hearted. Lately though it's been downright cruel and no-one seems to be really pulling anyone else back.

As an Australian I'm the first to admit we're always ready to poke a stick at someone else and call them a name or two. It's rarely meant to offend however. Amercians seem to go from a smiling joke to downright vicious almost instantly. It's a little sad really.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Because the French! The French! They don't like war, now how is that possible! How can they not like attacking socially and economically different sovern nations! How is that possible, it's because those losers never won a war that they're so afraid to fight one! Freedom Fris JA!

</satire>

Originally posted by Aea
    Because the French! The French! They don't like war, now how is that possible! How can they not like attacking socially and economically different sovern nations! How is that possible, it's because those losers never won a war that they're so afraid to fight one! Freedom Fris JA!

</satire>
    Some "people" do not yet "get" satire. Once they grow big enough to realize that just "giving somebody a Hug" does not solve all of their issues, they will likely start learning about satire. Humor is lost on too many.

Too many people are wrapped too damned tight. If you watch a humor show.... try not to be too shocked if they say something you find offensive. Chances are, no matter what humor they present, it will offend somebody. Come on..... relax. Go laugh, it is healthy.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Jon Stewart is great. In fact I tend to consider it one of my 'sources' of what's in the news. It probably helps that my own opinion on what's happening around the place is pretty similar to the 'angle' The Daily Show takes.

The pundit quotes read by children is always one of my favorites.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Just to clear this up, it was John Gibson of Fox News who made two related comments that have brought criticism, and which were replayed on The Daily Show.

Before the bombings in London but after the Olympics were awarded to Paris he said this on Bill O'Reilly's radio show (Gibson is a co-host): "...the International Olympic Committee missed a golden opportunity today. If they had picked France, if they had picked France instead of London to hold the Olympics, it would have been the one time we could look forward to where we didn't worry about terrorism. They'd blow up Paris, and who cares?"

After the bombings, his comment on his Fox News TV show The Big Story with John Gibson was: "This is why I thought the Brits should let the French have the Olympics -- let somebody else be worried about guys with backpack bombs for a while."

Pretty typical comments for Fox "news".

At least Jon Gibson said that during the "My Word" opinion segment of his show. It doesn't make it right, but Fox News anchors (like Bill O'Reilly) tend to say way too much as an opinion piece.

Jon Stewart definetely portays news with his liberal bias especially when talking to his guests, but he also attempts to make fun of both sides equally which is enough to let me sit through the show.

Originally posted by Aea

</satire>
    Of course they don't like war, they never see victory. You don't enjoy something your not good at

Of course they don't like war, they never see victory. You don't enjoy something your not good at
    :lmao: good one.

I didn't see the show (I don't get it where I live), but I'm a big fan of The Daily Show. Their style is very light hearted, and I find it sometimes de-sensationalizes the news. Good stuff

However, what happened in London was a tradegy no matter where you come from. Friggin' cowards. I wish they would stop by my part of the world, where I would beat them with a very large stick
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise