Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Google AdWords -- Worth It?

Hi all,

im looking to use some new advertising methods for the future and was wondering if anybody had used Google AdWords, if so does anybody have any comments on it?

I realy want to know if its efective and worth using.

Thanks for your time,

Rick.M

Do you mean to place on your hosting site? Where are you wanting to put google adwords?

Tracy Phillips

Adwords is where you place ads on google...adsense is the one you place on your site.

Sometimes I am a bonehead

No I do not think they are worth it. There was a right up in one of the hosting magazines last year or early this year that explained that the pricing was too high and then explained why.

Basically it goes like this... New guy gets into hosting... sees all the ads for hosting on google... thinks it is a grand idea... bids himself up to the top... he goes under... another new guy gets into hosting... sees all the ads on google for hosting.... thinks it is a grand idea... bids himself to the top (which is just above the last guy that went out of business)... he goes under.... Another new guy gets into hosting.... and so on.

I tend to agree with that scenario. I don't see an ROI for that in the forseeable future.

Tracy Phillips

>There was a right up in one of the hosting magazines last year
    >or early this year that explained that the pricing was too high
    >and then explained why

Where can I find this article. I would be very interested to read it.

I am pretty sure it was September 2004:

http://www.thewhir.com/magazine/archives.cfm

If I can find a copy of it, I can fax that article to you.

Tracy Phillips

I believe it depends how you use it.

If you are using it for "brand awareness", it's not such a bad tool. If you use it for more "targeted keywords" its not a bad tool (something like "your city web hosting services")

IF, however....you are trying to gain new business by bidding on keywords like 'web hosting' 'email hosting' or other highly saturated terms......you're better off going to dinner and actually getting something from it.

So, stick to more targeted keywords...and the few clicks you do get from it....will have a measurable ROI (assuming you have a site that can sell the service to that market).

Hope this helps!
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

Thanks guys, its helped lots

Now i will avoid using adwords

it is indeed worth it. very, very 'worth it'.

Whether it is going to be worth or not it all depends upon different factors and the real review from the actual users eventually.

Well, nowadays its not so 'worth it'. As new 'bid minimum depending on keyword quality' thingy came, it has become a rather expensive way to promote the services. It does not pay the investment with its returns.

Targeted ads are the best route to go if you plan to get clients out of it without first spending large amounts of $$$ on the ads.

you certainly wouldn't want to pay for the ad and have the keywords be "web hosting"

You'd need to pay $30+ to get on the first page PER CLICK.

Whereas with targeted traffic such as "alabama web hosts"
    you'd end up paying a lot less and see some traffic to your site. (if you're in alabama )

Just select well thought out keywords that pertain to your company.

Originally posted by Devil Inside
    Targeted ads are the best route to go if you plan to get clients out of it without first spending large amounts of $$$ on the ads.
    True.

People always think its not worth it, but it is - if you know how to use them correctly.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Yup - I hardly pay more than a buck for most of my 1st position ads
    And yes I check them regularly.

The most I pay is about $2/click.
    Last edited by Devil Inside; 09-28-2005 at 02:16 AM.

Targeted keywords is the way to go. It is definitely more cost friendly.

Some how it depends on your target country! If it's some where in middle east of africa you can go with 5c or 10c. But for US & Europe hardly I can say. I have spend about $2000 till now. But I can say I was more than happy before this 'bid minimum depending on keyword quality'. Now I can see it's costing much more, but I hope google guys will review and tune it soon.

Forgot to mention that, if you but a super reseller package from wildwestdomains.com for $229 you'll receive $250 free adwords credit and some free services (SSL Certificates, email, marketing tools & ...).

Originally posted by tartan
    Forgot to mention that, if you but a super reseller package from wildwestdomains.com for $229 you'll receive $250 free adwords credit and some free services (SSL Certificates, email, marketing tools & ...).
    Wow that is a pretty good deal,
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

I only see that as a good deal if they dropped thier rediculous prices for using their API...

I remember awhile back it was nearly a grand to use it. If they did drop that - then yeah, great deal!

i would not go for any 'goodies' from godaddy or its subsidiaries after what i saw in the past week. see in this topic http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=447965

Then, if you don't like their services, use your 30 days money back for full refund. Best of all, in this case still you can use your $250 adwords credit! Risk Free at all! (Maybe they are not the best choice, but sometimes usefull.)

well im not sure. as it seems virtually impossible to snatch a domain name out of their holding, it might be equally difficult to get a refund from them too.

I have used their wildwestdomains for at least one year with no problem. However I moved out all of them for other reasons such as high prices in compare with other registrars.

I use AdWords only for new site launches...I spend maybe $100 and bid on high traffic keywords and get some traffic going....but to be honest, unless you have money and time, it's not worth it. To really get most ouf of it, it's a full time job of constantly tweaking your keywords and bid amounts.

Google adwords worked well for us but only after we spent a few month devloping specific keywords. I believe you can now have google help you choose your keywords for free so I would recommend checking it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast