Trojan poses as London bombing video

What some people will do....
    Shame when people take advantage of peoples natural curiosity.

MessageLabs, a provider of email security and management services, has found a Trojan pretending to be an email posing as a video news clip of the recent London bombings.

The attachment instead contains a Trojan designed to compromise the recipient's computer. The email containing this Trojan has been made to appear as a CNN Newsletter that asks recipients to 'See attachments for unique amateur video shots'.

When executed, the attachment copies itself to %Windir%\winlog.exe and modifies the Windows registry key 'HKLM/Software/microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run' so that it runs automatically on system start-up.

The Trojan then attempts to obtain a list of the SMTP servers that the victims machine is configured to use and starts to use these servers to send large volumes of unsolicited mail.

The mail looks something like this:

Subject: TERROR HITS LONDON

Filename: 'London Terror Moovie.avi

MessageLabs noted a steep raise in 'legitimate' email volumes as they rose sharply yesterday morning due to the terrorist attacks in London.
    source = http://www.techtree.com

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

It is called social engineering.

We, geeks (*), know very well never to accept attachments. I always reply back to ask if it was sent by the person.

* Knowledgeable persons

It's a shame that people would go so low to do that.
    -- Matthew

The world is me$$ed up......Any chance on hurting some1,they go for it.........

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

This is crazy, Whats with these people, I think most of us wouldnt bother reading the email happened before with the Jackson etc.
    Insane

I think you should shutdown you're pc if you open a email like that... Thinking that this happens all the time...