Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Yes it is down again

Originally posted by YesItIs
    Dinix were great. Such a shame they were taken over since it took me such a long time to find a reliable host. These huge downtimes at WebHostPlus are ridiculous.

Does anyone know of any *reliable* VPS hosts, ideally running WHM/Cpanel? I want to switch hosts ASAP.
    I've heard of PowerVPS a few times around here. I'm thinking of just going with shared hosting, since I don't really need a VPS. I'm looking at Site5.com for that.

Verizon has yet again turned off the whole DC.. and apparently the whole city? Not exactly sure... if anyone has a server in the NJ area at a different DC and its working correct me. But anyway the whole DC is definately down again. Hard to decide who to be mad at but hopefully they will be back up soon. I am keeping in contact with them so if I get any updates I will pass it on here.

Originally posted by kaveyhosting.com
    Hard to decide who to be mad at but hopefully they will be back up soon.

Well since they are the DC and all, shouldn't they have more than one backbone to and from? I know I'm not a network admin of anykind. just a simple ol computer geek.

This seems to me that they are putting all their eggs in one basket. And that basket fell off the bandwagon, so to speek .

They are down again!
    Oh my god!!!
    This is very bad!

Any updates?

Originally posted by TotalChoice
    Any updates?
    Nope!
    I am moving...
    Me and my clients can't take it out!

You know, I've given this outfit a chance, but I'm ready to toss in the towel.
    What really gets me is that they tell you they will notify of potential downtime or maintence, or better yet the person on the phone says someone will respond to you, but the truth is they do not. .

I have another server over at Servint and once these guys are back up I'm moving my accounts.

Originally posted by heymar
    Nope!
    I am moving...
    Me and my clients can't take it out!
    Nothing yet... They are supposed to have HE and MCI and AboveNet as well. He did briefly try to explain it to me last night. I didnt catche the whole reason all of them are down. I will have him email it to me so I can explain this better to all wondering since I dont beleive anyone within the company has an account here anymore.

I am not affiliated with them so I am not the one to really answer questions I am just trying to help out any that I can so if only one of us get an answer everyone can be alerted. Trust me I am as frustrated as anyone... I have almost 50 servers there. But the bottom line is at this point it is beyond their control and bugging them will not speed it up any. I am sure they want their sites up as much as anyone else wants their sites up. They cant make sales with their site down. They are in the DC and they are doing what they can and pestering Verizon. The best we can hope for is that they handle this better once verizon does their part than they have shown in the past. I am sure hoping something happens real soon with peak times coming up in just a couple of hours. This is two nights in a row I couldnt sleep and I am not at all happy.

Originally posted by Deven
    You know, I've given this outfit a chance, but I'm ready to toss in the towel.
    What really gets me is that they tell you they will notify of potential downtime or maintence, or better yet the person on the phone says someone will respond to you, but the truth is they do not. .

I have another server over at Servint and once these guys are back up I'm moving my accounts.
    My advice would be to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. They were given 20 minutes notice last night before the cable was unplugged so to speak. In that 20 minutes period I personally got a phone call to give me the best notice they could under the circumstances. At this point that I was on the phone with them I think if verizon had told them the outage would continue into tonight they would have alerted me to that. Considering they didnt I think that they probably werent alerted themself. Just my opinion of course.

Well, looks like thet are back on.........

Well they didn't phone me and they haven't offered any compensation.

What happened to their contingency plan? Surely they had a contingency plan?

Did you even bother asking for compensation? I am not saying they will or wont but judging by your reply I am guessing you never asked. Not to count it would be rather tough for them to determine an amount for compensation when the network only got running again about two minutes ago. They have probably 5 thousand top level customers to deal with. They wont be contacting you this quick to settle up on billing. Submit a ticket and work with it from there.

Originally posted by YesItIs
    Well they didn't phone me and they haven't offered any compensation.

What happened to their contingency plan? Surely they had a contingency plan?
    I wouldn’t hold my breath ...

So much for the well organized, experienced outfit...

Originally posted by kaveyhosting.com
    Did you even bother asking for compensation? I am not saying they will or wont but judging by your reply I am guessing you never asked...
    Yes I did submit a request for compensation yesterday (once the support area came back online) and again today. Of course they have bigger customers to look after. But 14 hours downtime in 2 days is not something I expected from a "professional host" - whether or not the original fault was caused by them.

OK for the reason why the whole dc was down I got an explanation from them.

WebHostPlus has multiple internet providers. We have providers from the NY and NJ side. Verizon is our local loop provider. We have 2 GigE local loops provided from verizon. Verizon circuts are going from our datacenter to verizon center and from there to our NJ and NY colo locations where we pick up multiple providers. Verizon did some maintenance on their facility and turned off all of their switches without warning. This caused WebHostPlus to go down.

We are currently in negotiation with 2 more providers who can provide a backup local loop for WebHostPlus to eliminate future network downtime.

Well I got a responce from the second outage, and seems they might be taking responsibility for the credits due:

We are gathering all outage compensation request via email. Please send to managedservices@webhostplus.com.
    We do appologize for the outage. It was due to a non reported upgrade the main trunks in NJ.
    So if you're a Dinix user with them, be sure to get those requests in. We should be getting a full month's credit.

email down

Anyone have any ideas why all my clients cannot receive their emails since my VPS account came back up this morning?

I've been listening to hold music for the last 20 minutes trying to contact them.

Linux or Windows VPS?

Linux VPS. I restarted exim, but this is the last line after attempt:
    exim has failed, please contact the sysadmin.

try
    /scripts/upcp
    I got a linux VPS that does that sometimes. upcp usually fixes it.

How to?

I see the file right where you said. What's the proper command to execute it?

yeah.. log into your server via SSH

root@example [~]# /scripts/upcp

Smile

Yup. That fixed it. Thanks.
    Funny, I tried to cd to scripts then run upcp, but no go.
    From root prompt: /scripts/upcp -this worked

Thanks again...

PS- Never did hear from WebHostPlus after 2 emails and a phone call.

Thanks for derailing the thread.

Sorry, not intended to. Just wondered if I was alone on this problem since everything was working OK before the outage.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast