Thread: Need Good Host

Need Good Host

hi im new at all this web hosting searching etc so.. i have no idea wat are some good hosts.... im currently working a page for a toys site where there will be a forums and a disscussion box for every toy.. (around 400+ toys) so... im wondering wat are some good hosts and wat are your comments on the place?

I guess it really comes down to what your needs are.

Do you have the scripting that you are going to use or do you need the host to provide it?

Do you need cgi? PhP?

What kind of database setup do you need? MySQL?
    We keep the database on a seperate server so that it doesn't slow down any of our clients, so that is always a good idea too.

<<Snipped self promotion>>

No one host is the best for everyone, that's why there are so many hosting companies out there. Depends on what you need.

Good luck to you.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 07-12-2005 at 01:04 AM.
    The Best Custom Computers Are Built By: Custom Perfect.com Hundreds of Custom Cases Available

Low Cost - High Quality Domain Hosting

I suggest the Host Quote feature.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

Originally posted by CustomPerfection
    I guess it really comes down to what your needs are.

Do you have the scripting that you are going to use or do you need the host to provide it?

Do you need cgi? PhP?

What kind of database setup do you need? MySQL?
    ok.. so theres gonna be forums, discussion boxes like big ones and flash... so theres gonna be php and could you explain wats MySQL? im new at this hosting stuff so im not THAT experienced

MySQL is a database system type. Most forums use MySQL as a backend. Most chats (non-IRC) use MySQL as well.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Listen To Tekster Radio!

speX714,

If you are starting out, then I would suggest finding a host that offers small plan. I am sure almost all paid web hosts support PHP and MySQL, so it should not be any trouble finding one.

Best of luck with your search

Yes, PHP and MySQL support are standard features... Many hosts would be OK for those requirements.
    Some examples are DreamHost... Micfo... Site5. Those are companies I am using for my own sites. I picked them based on my extensive research on customer satisfaction records of various major hosting companies.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

does anyone else know any good hosting places where they meet good requirments and have goood customer satisfaction records, if you have experence with any of these hosts plz tell me how you feel about them!!!!

Originally posted by speX714
    does anyone else know any good hosting places where they meet good requirments and have goood customer satisfaction records, if you have experence with any of these hosts plz tell me how you feel about them!!!!
    You can also try findmyhosting.com for a headstart.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by speX714
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=385691

read my review on this hosting company. Then do a search about them and I am sure you will find them to be a solid hosting company.
    TheSauk.com

Read about the Season

Just remember all the "Host Quote" type stuff and all the "web host guides" with "top web hosts" etc. are paid advertising no more and no less. If fact some "find a top host sites" are secretly owned by who else? The top hosts on the list!
    Most hosts could fill your needs, doesn't look like you are asking much.
    Look for support, uptime, & somebody that will be there when you need them.

There are lot's of good hosts who don't have (a) the big bucks to be listed as a "top host" or (b) stooping to using the tactic of promising huge amounts of disk space and transfer for exceptionally low prices, knowing you won't use it, but you may think $3 for 20GB is a better deal than $7 for 5 or 10 GB transfer while you will never even use the 5GB. The only problem with those deals is servers are often overloaded and if you do get popular and try to use your 20GB they usually find a reason to terminate your account or force you to "upgrade".

PS: Never pay for more than month-to-month to start. Literally hundreds of sad stories here from people who paid for a year with a "satisfaction guarantee" got lousy service and never got the refund for the 11 months after they found a better host. Yearly or 6 months isn't bad in itself but not until you have been with a host awhile and know what you can count on.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

cool place but i think the bandwidth is a little low on wat the host has to offer i think ill need about 100GB per month rite now and maby even more in the future... dreamhost has a good amount of bandwidth for decent price... does anyone know anything good or bad about dreamhost? i googed about it and the goods and bads list are about the same rite now sorta.... does anyone here have any experience iwht them? SHARE hehe

There info looks ok for me. I need to change host.

Feel free to look around the Web Hosting Offers and research them.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Listen To Tekster Radio!

thats stupid how i cant edit posts... im srry for triple posing....but....... its now eather jaguarPC or Dreamhost.. .HELP PLZ

I've been with Jaguarpc for 2 years now - very happy with the service, very happy with the tech support. Any problems were dealt with quickly - and their forum community is good. PM me if you need more info.