Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I second that... PowerVPS is the way to go for many growing hosts.

As for WinVPS - I've tested it in the early beta stages - it's great, BUt at the time the RAM was not burstable. As for MSDE - and the now coming SQL Express 2005 - it's sufficient for small portals. For high end sites MS SQL is a must. The ideal setup would be a VPS provider that apart from the MSDE install offers off-VPS MSSQL service. Something like Jodo and EuroVPS. I hope that PowerVPS will follow that road, once the system becomes more stable.

The final verdict on WinVPS BASED ON my small experience was - if RAM is not burstable then go to 512mb VPS min.

Originally posted by jpetrov
    I second that... PowerVPS is the way to go for many growing hosts.

As for WinVPS - I've tested it in the early beta stages - it's great, BUt at the time the RAM was not burstable. As for MSDE - and the now coming SQL Express 2005 - it's sufficient for small portals. For high end sites MS SQL is a must. The ideal setup would be a VPS provider that apart from the MSDE install offers off-VPS MSSQL service. Something like Jodo and EuroVPS. I hope that PowerVPS will follow that road, once the system becomes more stable.

The final verdict on WinVPS BASED ON my small experience was - if RAM is not burstable then go to 512mb VPS min.
    Are there now any WINVPS solutions that have burstable RAM, or are all of them with fixed ram?

RAM is not burstable in Windows environment, doesn't matter which provider you choose.
    Have a question?

So in that case is there a good way to estimate how much ram you need, considering there will be one ASP.net data drived website?

How much traffic are you expecting? A VPS with 256 MB RAM can handle ASP.net data driven website (without any control panel), but it mainly depends on the traffic. I suggest that you go with the lowest plan and then test things around - if it requires more RAM, you simply upgrade the VPS with no downtime at all.
    Have a question?

Originally posted by Milovan
    How much traffic are you expecting? A VPS with 256 MB RAM can handle ASP.net data driven website (without any control panel), but it mainly depends on the traffic. I suggest that you go with the lowest plan and then test things around - if it requires more RAM, you simply upgrade the VPS with no downtime at all.
    thats the problem, i have no clue what the traffic will be. I was thinking of doing the same thing as you stated, however, I wanted to see if there is some way of calculating it (of course based on traffic).

Originally posted by Milovan
    I have a shared account in other company, acctually, my website is written by asp + MS Access. i got a "Service unavailable" error message every day.

Originally posted by skyaus
    I have a shared account in other company, acctually, my website is written by asp + MS Access. i got a "Service unavailable" error message every day.
    Probably more to do with access. An Access DB can't handle more than 15 concurrent connections.

Use MS SQL and you'll get better results, RAM permitting.

HTH

Even better, use MySQL's little tool that converts Access to MySQL and then you can base your site on ASP.NET + MySQL. Way faster and more stabile then Access.

Even better, use MySQL's little tool that converts Access to MySQL and then you can base your site on ASP.NET + MySQL. Way faster and more stabile then Access.
    but i don't have knowledge to convert it.

Originally posted by itstech
    Probably more to do with access. An Access DB can't handle more than 15 concurrent connections.

Use MS SQL and you'll get better results, RAM permitting.

HTH
    absolutely right. there's why my forum always have "service unavaiable" error message

I personally think the idea of a VPS provider offering a shared MS-SQL 2000/2005 Server is a good idea.

Even in a non-VPS shared environment, putting MSSQL on a server loaded down with IIS/ASP websites is not a good idea.

Just my $0.02c

since we are talking abt db, what is better mysql or MSDE (besides all the nice things come with integration between msde and iis/asp)

Depends

MySQL is probably better IF its hosted on a linux/unix box.
    Depends if MSDE's connection (10) limit plays an issue aswell.

well actually I plan to use the new sql express, and that has a 15 limit

MSDE does not have a 10-user connection limit.  It has a "workload governer" which queues requests when it gets very busy that that is a question of milliseconds of processing time, not fixed limits on connections.

Originally posted by itstech
    Depends

MySQL is probably better IF its hosted on a linux/unix box.
    Depends if MSDE's connection (10) limit plays an issue aswell.
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

MySQL is non-crippled web-site-oriented database. Since the connection can be made trough ODBC you probably don't have to change a single line. MySQL runs on windows very well. So - for forum use - if you are able to modify your scripts - MySQL would be way better as a solution. You can uninstall and eliminate all unwanted processes and pump up the performance. MySQL does not have ANY workload limit (at least not achieveable with your VPS) - thus giving you growing space. MySQL solution is cheaper.

Full MSSQL would be perfect - it's a fact that it's more robust then MySQL but only if hosted on other DB server - not in your own VPS space. So you must choose a Windows VPS provider with MS SQL servers in your local network.

Does anyone know of any good WinVPS hosts who also offer shared SQL server? I know PowerVPS does not.

thanks

MySQL is non-crippled web-site-oriented database. Since the connection can be made trough ODBC you probably don't have to change a single line. MySQL runs on windows very well. So - for forum use - if you are able to modify your scripts - MySQL would be way better as a solution. You can uninstall and eliminate all unwanted processes and pump up the performance. MySQL does not have ANY workload limit (at least not achieveable with your VPS) - thus giving you growing space. MySQL solution is cheaper.

Full MSSQL would be perfect - it's a fact that it's more robust then MySQL but only if hosted on other DB server - not in your own VPS space. So you must choose a Windows VPS provider with MS SQL servers in your local network.
    Yes but if with your website you can run mysql and your site on the same machine do you really think that mysql "unlocked" will gain you very much over a mssql website that was written to reuse connections. When I connect to mssql I connect to the db and then dump the data to a dataset and disconnect. The whole process takes very little time. I doubt your going to see much performance gains when your running both db and website on the same machine and fitting it onto a single vps. But thats just my opinion.

good answer

Originally posted by spiv
    MSDE does not have a 10-user connection limit.  It has a "workload governer" which queues requests when it gets very busy that that is a question of milliseconds of processing time, not fixed limits on connections.
    The new (and free) SQL Server Express will replace MSDE and is even better. Its still in beta but you download and try it now if you have the .NET 2 framework installed.

The speed governor has gone.

Quotng from the FAQ:
    How is SQL Server Express different from other editions of SQL Server 2005?
    SQL Server Express is designed to meet the needs of simple applications. Therefore, it is limited to using a single CPU and up to 1GB RAM, with a 4GB maximum database size. SQL Server Express does not include any of the advanced components of SQL Server including Analysis Services, Reporting Services, Data Transformation Services, and Notification Services.
    It sounds like it will be quite a viable option for small sites. I assume (although I haven't seen a definitive statement) that if you have more RAM or multiple CPUs then it still works but it just doesn't make full use of your hardware.

I managed to get DotNetNuke running with it as a test.

Problem with this is that you cannot run this in a VPS, for the simple reason that most VPS nodes have at least 4GB RAM and 2 CPU's, parameters which carry onto the VPS itself.

I will download this myself though to check it out Thanks!
    EuroVPS - Europe's Fully Managed Hosting
    Established 2004 - The European Hosting Authority

Originally posted by tetra
    The new (and free) SQL Server Express will replace MSDE and is even better. Its still in beta but you download and try it now if you have the .NET 2 framework installed.

The speed governor has gone.

Quotng from the FAQ:

It sounds like it will be quite a viable option for small sites. I assume (although I haven't seen a definitive statement) that if you have more RAM or multiple CPUs then it still works but it just doesn't make full use of your hardware.

I managed to get DotNetNuke running with it as a test.
    I do plan to use SQLExpress. Matter of fact I have been running it on my beta account at powerVPS. It works like a charm. I love that they brought attachfile concept.
    However, I have not done much testing on how many users/requests it can handle. I might do that in the next couple of months, on a local server with similar specs to the VPS i am looking for and see what the results are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast