colo in Buffalo New York

We have a client looking for 1/4 cabinet and 1 Mbps in Buffalo NY. Not many old posts on that location. I only know of Switch and Data. Anyone know anyone else?

Bob
    Quotecolo

Not really, Buffalo is not a big IT place. There was a cable provider for residents, but they went bankrupt and out of business. You're better off looking more towards like Albany, or even NYC.

Originally posted by JHosts
    Not really, Buffalo is not a big IT place. There was a cable provider for residents, but they went bankrupt and out of business. You're better off looking more towards like Albany, or even NYC.
    Do you mean to say that there are no broadband providers for residents in buffalo?

The reason Buffalo isn't so attractive is that all traffic is backhauled to Chicago or New York anyway.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Originally posted by SMachiz
    Do you mean to say that there are no broadband providers for residents in buffalo?

The reason Buffalo isn't so attractive is that all traffic is backhauled to Chicago or New York anyway.

Sam
    I never said no broadband, there's Verizon DSL which is extremely crappy in that area, constant downtime (even the business version). There's just no cable, which is very popular these days.

Originally posted by JHosts
    I never said no broadband, there's Verizon DSL which is extremely crappy in that area, constant downtime (even the business version). There's just no cable, which is very popular these days.
    Excuse me, I guess I was using them interchangebly because I figured you'd retract that statement. Of course there are cable providers in Buffalo. I don't know who told you something like that, or why you believed them.

Adelphia serves the greater Buffalo/Niagara Falls region with Cable TV as well as broadband internet.

More importantly, with DSL, your specific level of 'crappiness' is mostly determined by the CO/DSLAM you're connected to, as well as the quality, condition and distance of the cable between your DSL modem and the CO.

Anecdotal evidence is generally bad, doubly so when used with sweeping statements.

Sam

Excuse me, I guess I was using them interchangebly because I figured you'd retract that statement. Of course there are cable providers in Buffalo. I don't know who told you something like that, or why you believed them.

Adelphia serves the greater Buffalo/Niagara Falls region with Cable TV as well as broadband internet.

More importantly, with DSL, your specific level of 'crappiness' is mostly determined by the CO/DSLAM you're connected to, as well as the quality, condition and distance of the cable between your DSL modem and the CO.

Anecdotal evidence is generally bad, doubly so when used with sweeping statements.

Sam
    Hey man, you would know. You have offices there too I assume right?

Nope, Girlfriend lives there though, so I'm there quite frequently. We only have offices in Troy and Manhattan so far.

Sam

I use Verizon DSL in Buffalo - it's excellent.

Originally posted by JonBiloh
    I use Verizon DSL in Buffalo - it's excellent.
    Is there a cable internet provider around that you could use, or was I correct that they did indeed go bankrupt and close?

There is Adelphia's offering, "Powerlink" - it's really hit or miss, probably one of the worst cable internet providers ever.

Originally posted by JonBiloh
    There is Adelphia's offering, "Powerlink" - it's really hit or miss, probably one of the worst cable internet providers ever.
    Aren't they all though!

Cable is notorious for being incosistent in speed and generally unreliable, but such is life in the consumer broadband market. This is generally more true of cable than DSL services, but still applies to a lot of DSL services.

The whole 'shared' bandwidth concept of Cable is a detriment to its utility, though some of the 'business' varieties are a little better.

Sam
    Last edited by SMachiz; 07-12-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Aren't they all though!

Cable is notorious for being incosistent in speed and generally unreliable, but such is life in the consumer broadband market. This is generally more true of cable than DSL services, but still applies to a lot of DSL services.

The whole 'shared' bandwidth concept of Cable is a detriment to its utility, though some of the 'business' varieties are a little better.

Sam
    No they aren't all bad, ive been using residential roadrunner for years and I love it. If cable wasnt setup the way it is (limited up with a higher down) itd be stable enough to host things off! Of course people wouldnt host web sites on them because it's cable, but it is rock solid and stable, with good high speeds.
    Last edited by DStratus; 07-12-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Consumer broadband has gotten alot better over the last few years. There still some terrible areas but there is also some really good ones too. For instance my brother lives in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina yet his roadrunner runs at 10mbit. My 6mbit comcast is also pretty good just a few hickups when I first got it due to a crappy modem.

I can't wait till Verizon FIOS hits my area 15mbit down 2 mbit up will be awesome .

time warner cable offers cable in buffalo.. Buffalo is actually a pretty large area..
    ShellCentral.net
    Web Hosting, ShoutCast Servers, Dedicated Servers, Reseller Accounts, Domain Registration and more.

Actually no they do not.

While Buffalo is a large city, the only two broadband offerings are Powerlink and Verizon DSL.